F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

18 Feb 2016, 20:30

It's a fund raiser! I guess...

Muirium
µ

18 Feb 2016, 20:33

When more a more Elliptical orbit is required, simply fire a prograde burn at periapsis.

Astrophysics jokes, amirite?

Hypersphere

18 Feb 2016, 22:37

Keyboard Science is Rocket Science!

Ellipse

19 Feb 2016, 02:30

JanitorJoe we have 13 "use your own keys" keyboard orders and the rest (around 105 keyboards) have ordered a full set of keys. I have so far been surprised how few people are using their own keys.

I prefer original IBM Model F key caps but the Unicomp legends from my January order are nice and clear, though not as deep black in color or as textured in the PBT surface of the key as the one-piece Model F caps. They do have some flash on the caps, whereas there's no flash on the one-piece Model F caps that I have.

I have also tested Model F one-piece caps on the new keyboards and can confirm they are a great option.

Yes I do offer extra little things for those who want to support the project even more. For example, you have the ability to get prioritized shipping and your own custom serial number for a little more. It's all been up on the project site for over a month now :). You could also order one of the original prototype barrels for $5 or so.

sean4star

19 Feb 2016, 03:31

Muirium wrote: When more a more Elliptical orbit is required, simply fire a prograde burn at periapsis.

What program is this?

Ellipse

19 Feb 2016, 04:17

For some reason Muirium's program reminds me of this...

Ratfink

19 Feb 2016, 12:22

Heh, these guys aren't going to use their new Kishsavers exclusively for Kerbal Space Program. ;)

Muirium
µ

19 Feb 2016, 12:41

I can confirm the originals work nicely!

kekstee

19 Feb 2016, 14:35

Is the non paypal payment version up and working by now? Been holding back since they were acting up.

Tuntematon

19 Feb 2016, 21:27

Muirium wrote: When more a more Elliptical orbit is required, simply fire a prograde burn at periapsis.

I think you are underappreciated here. Are you on Reddit? Your efforts would be better rewarded there. Plenty of internet points to be collected. Get that warm fuzzy feeling that only validation from internet strangers can give you. (I am unsure how this will come across, so, to clarify: I actually do like your material, Reddit is fun 8-) ).

Muirium
µ

19 Feb 2016, 22:42

Read it? I never even heard of it…

*cough*

Ellipse

19 Feb 2016, 23:05

kekstee paypal was resolved about a week ago. There will be no holdup because of paypal for this project.

Ellipse

22 Feb 2016, 00:23

8 days left to order your brand new F62 / F77 Model F keyboard for the early round!

Here are some more renderings of the Ultra Compact F62 case. The case is designed to be as small as possible, given the requirements of the Model F inner assembly design.

Current Ultra Compact F62 case dimensions are 316 x 149 x 23.2 mm (12.4 x 5.9 x 0.9 in). The original F62 case is 357mm x 178mm x 29mm so you are saving about 1.5 inches in the width, an inch less in the controller area on top, and a quarter inch in height.

Please let me know your feedback - we still have time to change the case design.

My goal is a simple aluminum extruded case made of three pieces - the bezel, middle part, and bottom piece. The renderings do not show the separated pieces but instead show them as one piece for now. For cost reasons we unfortunately cannot "shrink" the design of the original cases and all their features.

Colors are not accurate - I haven't discussed color options for the small case with the factory but I assume they will be anodized, or done with electrophoresis. I do not expect the small cases to be powdercoated.

You also have the option to get both original and ultra compact cases - all components are interchangeable, save the bottom inner assembly plate.
Ultra Compact F62 1a.jpg
Ultra Compact F62 1a.jpg (120.82 KiB) Viewed 5515 times
Ultra Compact F62 1b.jpg
Ultra Compact F62 1b.jpg (152.55 KiB) Viewed 5515 times
Ultra Compact F62 1bb.jpg
Ultra Compact F62 1bb.jpg (121.51 KiB) Viewed 5515 times
Ultra Compact F62 1c.jpg
Ultra Compact F62 1c.jpg (141.32 KiB) Viewed 5515 times
Ultra Compact F62 1d.jpg
Ultra Compact F62 1d.jpg (152.49 KiB) Viewed 5515 times
Ultra Compact F62 1e.jpg
Ultra Compact F62 1e.jpg (164.22 KiB) Viewed 5515 times
Ultra Compact F62 2 a.jpg
Ultra Compact F62 2 a.jpg (179.83 KiB) Viewed 5515 times
Ultra Compact F62 2 b.jpg
Ultra Compact F62 2 b.jpg (154.72 KiB) Viewed 5515 times
Ultra Compact F62 aa.jpg
Ultra Compact F62 aa.jpg (120.78 KiB) Viewed 5515 times
Ultra Compact F62 b.jpg
Ultra Compact F62 b.jpg (120.26 KiB) Viewed 5515 times
Ultra Compact F62 d.jpg
Ultra Compact F62 d.jpg (137.69 KiB) Viewed 5515 times
Ultra Compact F62 e.jpg
Ultra Compact F62 e.jpg (120.23 KiB) Viewed 5515 times

gnarlsagan

22 Feb 2016, 01:09

Awesome! The previous compact case renderings, which I've quoted below, seemed to slope downwards towards the front. I'd prefer that that body style with perhaps the sharper edges if possible. This is just my opinion however and I'd like to hear others' thoughts.
Ellipse wrote: An update on the smaller cases - the smaller cases are happening but they will not likely be available for order for at least 2-3 weeks. Please PM me if you're interested in a smaller case and haven't told me already.

Would people prefer anodized or powdercoated for the smaller aluminum cases? Is everyone fine with the smaller extruded metal design posted earlier (and re-posted below)? You would be saving about 1 to 2 inches off the sides and about one inch in the controller area.

I also expect to make a removable USB cable option for the extruded aluminum case, either through a cable or through allowing access to the USB connector on the PCB (the former seems like the preferable solution I think?).
The attachment 2nd alt design3.jpg is no longer available
The attachment extruded.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
2nd alt design3.jpg
2nd alt design3.jpg (167.24 KiB) Viewed 5490 times
extruded.jpg
extruded.jpg (143.5 KiB) Viewed 5490 times

Hypersphere

22 Feb 2016, 01:40

Are the bezels on each of the sides of the compact F62 case necessary? How much space is needed to house the plates, PCB, and controller?

Ellipse

22 Feb 2016, 03:08

Hypersphere the bezels give the inner assembly barely 1 mm of space inside. The middle piece of the ultra compact case is set to 4 mm wide on the left/right edges and 7 mm on the top/bottom edges to allow for the case screws. You can't have no bezels like on a custom Cherry MX keyboard as it would look odd. I don't think anything under 4 mm would make it strong enough structurally - any thoughts?
f62 ultra small with bezel removed.jpg
f62 ultra small with bezel removed.jpg (73.81 KiB) Viewed 5467 times
gnarlsagan some other people asked for slightly rounded edges for comfort reasons - any other thoughts? The angle will be available through different sized bumpers. The case will initially sit flat like the original F62 and F77 - otherwise we might be looking at a taller case than the original if the case were made at an angle.

I am thinking of allowing people to order the smaller case even though a prototype is not yet in hand, so you can get the small case in time for the early bird round. Or you can always order the smaller case in the final round, after prototypes have been photographed.

Tuntematon

22 Feb 2016, 05:47

I'm gonna stick with the original when I order in the regular round. The only dimension of concern to me is the right side bezel width. If I'm saving 1.5" in total width, that's only .75" on the right bezel. I prefer the look of the original design so the space savings aren't worth it. It's nice to have the option though.

REVENGE

22 Feb 2016, 08:37

Ellipse wrote: Image
If you make it, that's the one for me!

Hypersphere

22 Feb 2016, 15:39

@Ellipse: Let form follow function. It would not be good to sacrifice structural integrity for a few mm of bezel. I am in favor of the smallest case that is consistent with excellent structural strength and no interference with the proper action of the switches and keys.

I intend to place my orders this week. Even if you have the ultra-compact case as an option, I will most likely wait on this until after I have seen pics/videos of the finished product and more details about what part(s) would be needed to swap cases later on. In the meantime, I will go with the standard case.

Ellipse

23 Feb 2016, 06:12

First round orders close at the end of this month (2/29/16 is the last day to order one in the early bird round)!

The final round closes 6/30/16 but you would need to wait until August/September for them to ship :(

130 F62 / F77 keyboards ordered - $58,000 total so far (including shipping)!

Here's the current case color breakdown among the orders (some orders are for extra cases - 11 extra cases have been ordered so far):
41: Off-white/beige
64: Industrial gray
33: Black
3: Other

Interestingly only 17 black unprinted key sets have been ordered, but 33 black cases were ordered - I would have thought more black unprinted sets would have been ordered given the number of black cases people are getting.

Yes REVENGE I think that can be made - it's the same parts, just with no bezel on top - you would see the metal tabs on the inside though. Does anyone else prefer their version not to include the bezel (the bezel covering the top parts will be the standard offering I think.

alh84001
v.001

23 Feb 2016, 08:43

I'm thinking that black compact case will be mine. But, as Hypersphere said, I'll wait for the regular round and some more details.

The black case without bezels might be interesting since the top plate is black (dark grey?) as well. I just wonder if the omission of the bottom bezel would be noticeable when resting hands on it.

courtesi

23 Feb 2016, 18:55

Ellipse wrote: The final round closes 6/30/16 but you would need to wait until August/September for them to ship :(
I prefer the additional delay so the factory workers can make sure everything goes out the door correctly and well packaged.

Ellipse wrote: Interestingly only 17 black unprinted key sets have been ordered, but 33 black cases were ordered - I would have thought more black unprinted sets would have been ordered given the number of black cases people are getting.
I'll be blunt. All the photos I've seen of the black unprinted sets makes them look like someone was eating something greasy with their hands before they started typing on them. Either that or Unicomp is doing it the hard way and is power sanding the legends off the keys.

I don't know what is going on but it is a huge turn off - especially for something that is supposed to be PBT.
Last edited by courtesi on 23 Feb 2016, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

23 Feb 2016, 18:56

Indeed. While a dark case also goes well with light caps.

kekstee

23 Feb 2016, 19:03

First the quality problem and then the missing right shift. So it would have to be a black F62 for me to even consider a black set.
(if you take snoopys black kish for reference it still looks awesome though)

Khers

23 Feb 2016, 19:24

I went for a black set, despite the quality concerns.

And my order is for an off-white F62. :)

If it isn't up to snuff, I'll just put on an original IBM-set instead :maverick:

Muirium
µ

23 Feb 2016, 20:05

Anyone putting Unicomps on these needs an appointment with the clue hammer. But then, I have a similar reaction to the entry price. Let's see how they turn out…

Khers

23 Feb 2016, 20:08

But but but...

Blanks!? That's what all the cool guys rock! :cool:

gnarlsagan

23 Feb 2016, 20:10

Yeah I went with a regular set and blanks. I'll dye the caps myself if I want black. Plus the black sets don't have the right shift. How are people getting away with that? Split right shift?
Last edited by gnarlsagan on 23 Feb 2016, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

Khers

23 Feb 2016, 20:13

For me it's not an issue with the missing right shift, I'll have mine with a split right shift HHKB-layout anyway. Too used to that layout to have an Fn anywhere else.

alh84001
v.001

23 Feb 2016, 22:07

Muirium wrote: Anyone putting Unicomps on these needs an appointment with the clue hammer. But then, I have a similar reaction to the entry price. Let's see how they turn out…
I think many are ordering keyset to replace the one which will be canibalised from another board. At least that is my plan. If I ever hunt down a reasonably priced model F shipping from europe that is.

Return to “Group buys”