Who here do not like Christmas?

Minskleip

24 Dec 2011, 11:52

The best Christmases I've had were the last two years, when I was in another country and worked on Christmas eve.

Merry Christmas :evilgeek:

cactux

24 Dec 2011, 12:22

[Account and posts deleted on request]

N8N

24 Dec 2011, 12:38

I'm pretty much a Scrooge, I think Christmas has become totally commercialized and there's too much pressure on people to buy crap and outdo each other with giving gifts etc. so I just pretty much hide during the holiday season. I'm not particularly religious either, although if I were, I'd probably be actually offended rather than just annoyed and antisocial. (I'm in the US; haven't ever been out of the country over Christmas, so I don't know if it is the same anywhere else or not.)

Topre Enthusiast

24 Dec 2011, 12:52

I don't hate Christmas, but I do hate some of the things associated with this time of year.
Traffic sucks, shopping sucks, the weather here sucks and a lot of morons seem to crawl out of the woodwork. I try to stock up on food and liquor early because going into town is just a nightmare :(

Ekaros

24 Dec 2011, 12:56

I like the food, atleast one part of it, though smoked(both cold and hot) salmon is also good...

Minskleip

24 Dec 2011, 13:23

I don't even like the food :) Each year I suggest we drop the gifts, but nobody listen..

Ekaros

24 Dec 2011, 13:31

Minskleip wrote:I don't even like the food :) Each year I suggest we drop the gifts, but nobody listen..
http://koti.mbnet.fi/ekaros/Joulu11/Kinkku/IMG_3522.JPG

Such a glorious meat... I don't realy need gifts either...

N8N

24 Dec 2011, 13:43

you won't hear me complaining about Christmas dinner, that's for sure... any excuse for a good meal is OK by me.

mintberryminuscrunch

24 Dec 2011, 13:48

Christmas and carneval, been happy on command is just not my thing

Ascaii
The Beard

24 Dec 2011, 13:51

sick of christmas here as well.

hoggy

24 Dec 2011, 15:46

Minskleip wrote:I don't even like the food :) Each year I suggest we drop the gifts, but nobody listen..
You could suggest a maximum price. That way everyone wins.

hoggy

24 Dec 2011, 15:50

I'm an atheist, years ago we ''borrowed' Christmas as an excuse to eat and drink too much. I'm told the Christians did much the same thing a long time ago.

ripster

24 Dec 2011, 15:51

Minskleip

24 Dec 2011, 17:00

hoggy wrote:
You could suggest a maximum price. That way everyone wins.
We kind of have that. I just want to avoid the hassle alltogether.

Findecanor

24 Dec 2011, 21:08

Each year my relatives say that they don't want any presents, but each Christmas they still get angry at me for not having given them anything. :roll:
I am utterly incapable of just going out and buying presents on impulse. I must know what I should get for a person before I set out shopping for it. If I don't know what to get, I can't them them anything.
When I do know what to get, then I always try to get the very best type that is available. That may mean having to visit seven shops and evaluate ten different brands and then going back to the third shop to buy the present.

Anyway... Christmas to me is mostly about food and drink, and that is what I spend money on. The Christmas dinner (at 2 pm on Christmas Eve -- almost seven hours ago now) is the main event. A traditional Swedish Christmas buffet has mostly many varieties of meats and pickled herring, but I am a vegetarian. Therefore, I look to other countries for recipes. I also like to try sweet things from abroad. This year I made Finnish swede-pudding and English (?) nut loaf for dinner. I have also got German lebkuchen (home made), Danish kleiner, English plum pudding, Spanish tùrron, Icelandic beer and Scottish dundee cake (home made, fed with whisky for several weeks).

nathanscribe

24 Dec 2011, 21:22

Merry non-denominational arbitrarily celebratory holiday period to all!

hoggy

24 Dec 2011, 22:53

English plum pudding - also known as Christmas pudding in these parts - is amazing.

Half-Saint

26 Dec 2011, 11:42

Did someone mention food? :D

Input Nirvana

27 Dec 2011, 19:19

Xmas, meh. It's too long, too drawn out, too much of a big deal. It's just a day, so I'll give it 10 days, but not a whole month of crazyness.

ripster

27 Dec 2011, 19:54

I've always found Europeans dour.

This thread proves it.

MoarMAtt

27 Dec 2011, 20:01

No family = No xmas
Its a great thing though cause i usually get invited to everyone elses holiday fun and get some leftovers outta it as well.
Just bring a bottle of wine and everyone seems to love ya!

Findecanor

27 Dec 2011, 20:44

One thing that I don't like in my country is that the commercial Christmas starts so early. Shops start with Christmas decorations and music in early November. There are people who eat Christmas dinner several times at restaurants before the actual Christmas. Etc.
By the time Christmas arrives, it is already worn out. It is supposed to last into the first week of January!

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Dec 2011, 01:15

The Dutch celebrate Christmas twice. Sinterklaas still rules the clone. Better beard.

ripster

28 Dec 2011, 02:03

This would not go down well in my neighborhood.

I do have to admit the beard IS nice. Unix material even.

Half-Saint

28 Dec 2011, 20:39

Too much makeup on the two guys flanking the Beard, yes?

webwit
Wild Duck

28 Dec 2011, 23:20

That's from, uh, climbing down the chimneys. The legend used to be better though. Sinterklaas had defeated the devil, enslaving him as his servant. Real old school Santa!

7bit

03 Jan 2012, 15:39

Findecanor wrote:One thing that I don't like in my country is that the commercial Christmas starts so early. Shops start with Christmas decorations and music in early November. There are people who eat Christmas dinner several times at restaurants before the actual Christmas. Etc.
By the time Christmas arrives, it is already worn out. It is supposed to last into the first week of January!
I ignore Christmas until it is suddenly December 24 and shops are closing early and I realize I've got to buy some gifts ...
:roll:

Return to “Off-topic”