My Hand Wired 65+5% keyboard with RGB key lighting... almost.

DavidNZ

01 Apr 2016, 13:24

I created and hand wired what I call a 65+5% keyboard layout, which is a layout similar to the White Fox but allows for an extra column of keys on the left hand side. The benefit of this is that I can have both Esc and the Tilde key, plus 4 macro keys. I also added a strip of WS2812B LEDS under each row that allows me to assign LEDs to specific keys to simulate RGB keyboards. I don't really use the lights that often but it was a fun little extra to add, and to also modify the QMK firmware to allow for it. Another thing I added is showing whether Caps Lock is active via the RGB lights, since I don't have an LED indicator for it.

The stainless steel plate:

Under glow lighting

The transparent bottom with LED overload:

I have more info, photos and videos here: https://medium.com/@DavidNZ/hand-wired- ... .7a1ovebsk

I've had a few people say they would be interested in a PCB and plate for the same layout so I am looking at designing a PCB for it, probably basing it off the GH60, as there seem to be schematics available. At the very least I will relearn some old skills.

The hand wiring guide on this forum by Matt3o was very helpful in creating this, and I'm sure it has helped countless others as well.

derzemel

01 Apr 2016, 13:47

uuuu... very nice. I had no idea idea that you could program and set led strips to act almost like in-swich leds. My head is now spinning with ideas :lol:

scottc

01 Apr 2016, 13:50

Oooh, this is a very interesting idea!

DavidNZ

01 Apr 2016, 14:11

derzemel wrote: uuuu... very nice. I had no idea idea that you could program and set led strips to act almost like in-swich leds. My head is now spinning with ideas :lol:
The LEDs are individually addressable, so in the firmware I just added some code that creates an LED map which corresponds to the key map. I also have some Zealio 65g switches coming shortly, which should provide even better lighting as they are completely transparent.

4sStylZ

02 Sep 2019, 13:53

Can you provide more information about the handwiring ? The medium link is HS. I want to know if I can make a underglow with custom leds (UV) and I don’t really undertand the QMK documentation.

DavidNZ

02 Sep 2019, 14:12

There is more info in the comments here https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyb ... eysalmost/

If you have a specific question let me know.

Return to “Workshop”