FSSK PCBs (1st round)

idollar
i$

14 Apr 2016, 14:41

Redmaus wrote: Hey i$, how much did it cost for one PCB? How much do you think it would cost for one custom unsaver PCB? ;)
The killer is the shipping cost. Ordering one alone does not make sense (from the cost point of view).
What do you mean with an unsaver PCB ? Do you have the required Gerber files with the design ?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

14 Apr 2016, 14:47

I just want to add some winkey positions. I do not have any gerber files.

idollar
i$

14 Apr 2016, 15:04

Redmaus wrote: I just want to add some winkey positions. I do not have any gerber files.
I wanted to offer you some help to do it, but it would be a real pity to mutilate such a rare board :shock: ;)
With 104 keys and some xwhatship remapping, why do you want to do it ?
If you do not like your board, I am open to swap it with a modern keyboard with winkeys :mrgreen:

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

14 Apr 2016, 15:08

I love the Unsaver, but I have kept it's contents open for quite some time. Due to the fact that the right winkey pad does not have a back pad, I need a new PCB for it. I already have holes drilled and the extra flippers ready.

I am also making the four positions near arrow keys workable. I might try and to some PCB rework on the original instead, thinking of starting my own thread soon for help.

idollar
i$

14 Apr 2016, 15:14

But you will have to cut the case !!!!!!!
You cannot undo this change. That's the mutilation that I was mentioning.
The barrels and flippers can be added/removed at any time, but once you cut the case ... there is no way back

Do not do it, please :o

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

14 Apr 2016, 15:16

Oh yeah right. I know that. I feel it will be worth it. I have had thoughts of getting another case made, but I think it will cost too much.

Khers

14 Apr 2016, 15:23

WHAT!? Are you destroying your Unsaver for the sake of adding fucking Windows buttons!?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

14 Apr 2016, 15:25

Yeah breh the gaps piss me off

EDIT: this is all hypothetical BTW, the drilling was offered as a free service so I could be open to options. I am not sure about anything yet.

yet :twisted:

scottc

14 Apr 2016, 15:37

Urgh. What a waste.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

14 Apr 2016, 15:39

The case won't disintegrate if I cut off two small tabs...

idollar
i$

14 Apr 2016, 15:41

Do not do it, please !

idollar
i$

14 Apr 2016, 15:42

Use a model M (FEXT, I will not object). But now with this VERY RARE board.

Khers

14 Apr 2016, 15:44

Seriously, don't do it. If you don't like the layout, sell it to someone who does. Else, cue the ping award.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

14 Apr 2016, 15:48

Like I said I have not done it yet and it is not by any means set in stone. This is mainly brainstorming. I was thinking about creating a custom case for this very reason. What would you guys think about cutting out the arrow cluster diagonal positions? Those pads are ready to go. I plan to use the keyboard, not for it to sit on a shelf.

But a custom case standalone would hurt my wallet pretty bad, and there are so few users with Unsaver, so GB isn't really possible.

As far as rarity goes, I have kept all the original components(see my thread for reference) and the only permanent change I have made is the drilling of a few extra positions to the plate.

alh84001
v.001

14 Apr 2016, 17:14

:roll:
Don't let snoopy see this thread :lol:

Edit: With a whole new PCB, you could get rubber dome versions (73X38xx, 09F4230), and if necessary get new top and back plates as well. That way you could keep the Unsaver intact, but still get the layout you want.

Actually, idollar, this would be an awesome new variant of the PCB 8-)

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

14 Apr 2016, 18:59

Good idea. I didn't know you guys were so adamant about keeping the case OG

EDIT: Just FYI, I bought this from dorkvader to mod it and make it my own. I didn't buy it to be a history piece. How is making more keys bad? Just a case mane
Last edited by Redmaus on 14 Apr 2016, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

idollar
i$

14 Apr 2016, 19:21

alh84001 wrote: Actually, idollar, this would be an awesome new variant of the PCB 8-)
Does anyone knows where can one find pictures of the internals of one of these ?
Or even better, where to get one at a decent price ?

EDIT - We shall move this to the workshop thread ....

wcass

14 Apr 2016, 20:49

IIRC, the non-F unsavers are NOT Model M unsavers.
Trying to convert it to an F would be like trying to convert a Logitech to an F.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=7377.0

idollar
i$

14 Apr 2016, 22:16

EDIT - Faster that light :lol: They have arrived to FRA already !!!
FEXT-status3.jpg
FEXT-status3.jpg (96.64 KiB) Viewed 11043 times
Last edited by idollar on 14 Apr 2016, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.

Halvar

14 Apr 2016, 22:22

You mean they travelled from Hong Kong to FRA in -22 Minutes? Faster than light! :D

idollar
i$

14 Apr 2016, 22:24

Halvar wrote: You mean they travelled from Hong Kong to FRA in -22 Minutes? Faster than light! :D
You are right and I am stupid.
I guess that they report that the customs are informed that it will arrive tomorrow :-(

Halvar

14 Apr 2016, 22:31

Sounds good that they get the data in advance though. Remember how the customs office in FRA took a week to process our SSKs from Cindy? I hope they're faster this time... Makes you want to drive there and pry the stuff from their hands! ;-)

idollar
i$

14 Apr 2016, 22:36

Halvar wrote: Sounds good that they get the data in advance though. Remember how the customs office in FRA took a week to process our SSKs from Cindy? I hope they're faster this time... Makes you want to drive there and pry the stuff from their hands! ;-)
I would have preferred that customs would not have know about our PCBs at all ...
Last time, they ignored them.

I guess that we can only wait to know what will happen.

I will keep you posted.

idollar
i$

15 Apr 2016, 09:29

Status update (with no comment so I do not say something stupid again :lol: )
shippment 3.jpg
shippment 3.jpg (225.33 KiB) Viewed 11002 times

Alkhar

15 Apr 2016, 09:52

After the pcb, any chance we get Flippers Gb / Controller GB ?
Thanks idollar

idollar
i$

15 Apr 2016, 11:04

Alkhar wrote: After the pcb, any chance we get Flippers Gb / Controller GB ?
Thanks idollar
Well, if time permits and in view that there has not been progress on the Standard M controller replacement with a xwhatsit, I plan to design and produce controllers.

Regarding flippers, I am also thinking on finding a Chinese producer as ellipse did. This requires:
  • Market research (injection and springs)
  • Mold production (One time cost costly)
  • Easy ordering
The real problem is the Mold production. Here is where my real frustration comes. Because ellipse has done it. But he is not willing to tell anyone the company that will produce his flippers.

BTW - I repeat, once more, that my work will be made available as soon as the PCBs are tested. All of it.

lot_lizard

15 Apr 2016, 11:38

I will be returning from my work trip early next week, and will have access to my flippers. It won't take me long (<1 hour) to throw together a CAD model for one. After that, I would send off for printing to validate the part (which takes a little over a week). Assuming it works as expected, then order several parts printed in castable wax that we could send those off to a Chinese firm to produce the mold (just sending the CAD file for small parts sometimes leads to quality issues... Best to provide inspected wax parts), and be off and running for a group buy. This whole process would likely take 1-3 months to set expectations, but the cost would be surprisingly low for those parts

The other issue would be the springs. If we were doing this, we would want springs that more closely match the F than M. We would make some bulk buy on springs, and send to the firm producing the flippers to have them assemble as a single unit. Also, before printing the castable wax, we would want a sample of this spring to validate the fit on the prototype flipper

EDIT... It just dawned on me, but it would fun to try springs with different actuation forces along with an exact replica for giggles. Maybe have some options. Just thoughts
Last edited by lot_lizard on 15 Apr 2016, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

idollar
i$

15 Apr 2016, 14:46

Status update:
shippment 4.jpg
shippment 4.jpg (263.84 KiB) Viewed 10946 times

lot_lizard

15 Apr 2016, 14:48

You'll be opening a much anticipated box soon!!! I'm jealous. Will be a fun moment

idollar
i$

15 Apr 2016, 16:59

With the neighbor:
shippment 5.jpg
shippment 5.jpg (277.35 KiB) Viewed 10915 times

Return to “Group buys”