plum 84 RGB capacitve keyboard operation video

mech greenhand

10 May 2016, 03:12

As title, hope the links works for users abroad.
plum 84 RGB capacitive kb

blighty

14 May 2016, 15:22

mech greenhand wrote: As title, hope the links works for users abroad.
plum 84 RGB capacitive kb
I could not get the link to play on desktop or android (USA). How about a quick summary? :lol:

orihalcon

15 May 2016, 02:10

Worked on my Mac, looks interesting. What kind of switches does it use? I know the title says capacitative, but the stems are MX mount. Is this a custom Topre similar to novatouch? Interesting thing is that the switch housings are all clear for the RGB LEDs.

Stabilized

15 May 2016, 12:00

It uses Noppoo Plum capacitive switches, they are a Topre inspired design and are used on a number of other boards from Chinese manufacturers.

They come with rubber bands on the stems out of the factory to reduce noise. The stems are MX compatible like the Novatouch, but the stabilizers are completely different, with the Noppoo Plum using the hook and wire type (like co-star stabilizers) and the Novatouch using a modded Topre design.

FWIW, I find that they are a bit squishier feeling than Topre, but are more cushioned and are generally a really nice switch. I haven't tried 35g (the only weight the Plum comes in), I have a Royal Kludge with 55g switches that feel like 45g Topre.

Honestly, they are great keyboards for the price if you're a fan of Topre and want something like this with RGB backlighting and Cherry MX compatible stems.
Last edited by Stabilized on 16 May 2016, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.

mech greenhand

16 May 2016, 09:20

From what i got to know here, noppoo and royal kludge use the switches from Plum. Plum is the capacitive switches supplier.

IKSLM

16 May 2016, 09:47

I agree with @Stabilized, i own a Noppoo 35g capacitive switch keyboard and it's really nice to type on (pbt caps, soft 35g domes, orings on the stems). I also does not rattle like the stock novatouch. The build quality is not on the "topre level" but for the price, it's fine.

need

16 May 2016, 10:08

So what makes Topre topre? Do you guys feel they are equal in feel?
@IKSLM does the dome feel less of a quality as well?

IKSLM

16 May 2016, 10:41

Well there is a noticable difference in the case build quality, the topre feels more sturdy and less "bendy". But the noppoo domes are of excellent quality (as are the switches). My noppoo is a good topre approximation, it feels as they say "typing on a cloud of boobs" :D

Stabilized

16 May 2016, 13:49

I think that the build quality is very comparable with the Novatouch, I do think that Realforce boards are more sturdy but they are about twice the price (if not more).

I actually prefer using my Royal Kludge over my Novatouch, but I still prefer the feel of the stock Realforce boards as they feel the sturdiest and have the nicest sounding thock out of all the Topre boards I own.

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

16 May 2016, 15:10

I can't open the video o.o

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

18 May 2016, 00:55

I am happy with the quality of my 35g Plum84. The case leaves something to be desired, but the rest is of decent quality.

blighty

18 May 2016, 20:23

I ordered the non rgb model, but it's been chilling post SF customs since early Monday morning... I can't say I've cared too much to try Topre (due to my love of linear MX switches), but I do like the 75% form factor enough to experiment. I'm hoping the 5.5u OEM height spacebars I ordered off of shapeways won't feel to wonky with whatever random keyset I end up putting on it.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

21 May 2016, 22:10

blighty wrote: I ordered the non rgb model, but it's been chilling post SF customs since early Monday morning... I can't say I've cared too much to try Topre (due to my love of linear MX switches), but I do like the 75% form factor enough to experiment. I'm hoping the 5.5u OEM height spacebars I ordered off of shapeways won't feel to wonky with whatever random keyset I end up putting on it.
Yea, the form factor basically was the reason that I decided to purchase this keyboard, along with the light weight.

Return to “Keyboards”