Great/Interesting Finds

alh84001
v.001

10 May 2016, 08:37

seebart wrote: It's like a better Dell AT, better looking too.
Well, in general, I like the novelty of a different color, but I always seem to come back to beige. Also, I think beige suits Alps bright-colored switches better. At least for photoshoots :D

emdude
Model M Apologist

10 May 2016, 08:39

Sure, I would not mind seeing it. I also notice that there are green legends on the Alt keys and for Sys Req. I wonder if that's another AT-102-only thing.

emdude
Model M Apologist

10 May 2016, 08:42

seebart wrote: Here's the good one with the caps off, how fitting for this thread:
IMGP0915.JPG
Indeed! :twisted:

It's a lovely photo though, 'dem shimmering alps. Also, I cannot help but think about the yellowing that must be taking place when keyboards like that are out in direct sunlight. :P

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

10 May 2016, 08:52

Here you go, this is the same latter one from the sun pic:
IMGP0939.JPG
IMGP0939.JPG (968.29 KiB) Viewed 5205 times

emdude
Model M Apologist

10 May 2016, 08:55

Very nice, thankfully it doesn't appear to be all that yellowed!

seebart

10 May 2016, 08:58

emdude wrote: Very nice, thankfully it doesn't appear to be all that yellowed!
The pic is a little strange, it's not yellowed at all. The other older one is quite yellowed, but with the SGI it sort of turns greenish due to the grey. It's a great keyboard, get one if you can.

emdude
Model M Apologist

10 May 2016, 09:01

I do have one! Unfortunately, it is missing the Del key on the numpad. I did not think it would bother me at first, but I am getting OCD from it... If anyone has an extra key they can spare though.. :?

shreebles
Finally 60%

10 May 2016, 09:11

I would never sit on a square Enter key - that's insane! :mrgreen:
ohaimark wrote: Just a quick linguistic note -- it's interesting to see someone from Europe, specifically Germany, use "jaja" as a laugh. South American/Latin countries use that same construct, whereas English speakers tend to use "haha."
alh84001 wrote: I often mistakenly type "jajajaj" because H and J are next to each other. I don't know if idollar was also mistaken or made a funny reference to country of origin of the listed item :)
Guys... Location and origin is not the same. He lives in Germany but he's from Spain.

That is why he laughs like a Spaniard.

Jajajajajajajajaja :lol:
Last edited by shreebles on 10 May 2016, 09:13, edited 2 times in total.

Crazy Canadian XXIV

10 May 2016, 09:13

seebart wrote:
emdude wrote: I'm pretty certain the only reason anyone gets the SGI Granite is for the key caps. :lol:
Your wrong, quite wrong. But that's OK.
He's an astronaut, and he's okay!

emdude
Model M Apologist

10 May 2016, 09:21

:lol:
HAL 9000 wrote:
Dave wrote:Give me the SGI Granite key caps, HAL.
I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

seebart

10 May 2016, 09:43

giphy.gif
giphy.gif (27.32 KiB) Viewed 5137 times

OleVoip

10 May 2016, 09:56

shreebles wrote: That is why he laughs like a Spaniard.
Jajajajajajajajaja :lol:
Ah, thank you very much. Now I understand: it's not "yah yah yah yah" but "kha kha kha kha!"
Hehe! :mrgreen:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

10 May 2016, 12:28

German vendor Caseking is selling Ducky laser engraved PBT keycaps in ISO-DE layout at a discount:
https://www.caseking.de/ducky-pbt-keyca ... c-036.html

Great price for a set we're not going to see again anytime soon. Seems like it didn't sell very well - very bad news for everyone asking for Vortex doubleshot PBT ISO-DE keycap sets.

seebart

10 May 2016, 13:28

Hmm that Ducky keycaps set might look good on my Filco. Vortex caps are catnap. These look like the Leopold caps I linked here a while ago. Nice.

I just bought a set. :D

Wodan
ISO Advocate

10 May 2016, 13:38

seebart wrote: Hmm that Ducky keycaps set might look good on my Filco.
Somewhere on this planet a little Ducky dies everytime someone says that.

seebart

10 May 2016, 14:01

No that's OK, Ducky's are not less in quality to Filco's IMO. Not sure what the more popular brand is?

shreebles
Finally 60%

10 May 2016, 14:13

Yea they have been selling at that price for a few weeks, which is why I got me a set also.
They are very nice but not sure what you mean by catnap, seebart.
Comparing these to the Vortex PBT both seem equally nice. Good thickness, material and sound on both.
The Vortex ones feel slightly nicer but the Duckys look much better.
Might be tempted to order a blank ISO set from Vortex in the future because they have that wonderful texture.

seebart

10 May 2016, 14:19

shreebles wrote: Yea they have been selling at that price for a few weeks, which is why I got me a set also.
They are very nice but not sure what you mean by catnap, seebart.
Comparing these to the Vortex PBT both seem equally nice. Good thickness, material and sound on both.
The Vortex ones feel slightly nicer but the Duckys look much better.
Might be tempted to order a blank ISO set from Vortex in the future because they have that wonderful texture.
The stock caps on the poker are "catnap" as in not nice at all. These are much nicer.

E3E

10 May 2016, 15:39

seebart wrote:
emdude wrote: Very nice, thankfully it doesn't appear to be all that yellowed!
The pic is a little strange, it's not yellowed at all. The other older one is quite yellowed, but with the SGI it sort of turns greenish due to the grey. It's a great keyboard, get one if you can.
I always notice, even on non-yellowed or restored boards with PBT caps, the space bar's color never quite matches up with the rest of the keys.

It's likely a difference between pigment in ABS vs PBT I guess?

Engicoder

10 May 2016, 15:58

IBM System/34

Not sure if Snuci goes this big, and not sure if keyboard is included, but this is interesting. Seller seems to be using at least one photo from wikipedia.

https://fayetteville.craigslist.org/sys/5526697278.html

snuci
Vintage computer guy

10 May 2016, 16:23

Nope, I don't go that big Engicoder. It is a beauty though but the biggest I go is whatever I can lift (with a lift cart) :)

The images in that Craigslist ad are out of Wikipedia so you don't know what you're going to get. If it comes with a terminal, it might be interesting for this group :) The terminal in that picture has the wrong keyboard! That particular System/34 is in a museum so it looks like they put a Model M keyboard together with that IBM 5251 terminal. Naturally, the 5291 keyboard should be like this one:

III

10 May 2016, 17:48

cool soviet keyboar, magnetic i think = http://www.ebay.com/itm/231899174381
cool jp keyboard, alps = http://www.ebay.com/itm/291759994919

Muirium
µ

10 May 2016, 17:53

The Soviet one looks pretty bad ass:

Someone go get it!

tentator

10 May 2016, 18:15

Wow that soviet one really looks comunist coloured!! Ahah..
And does that sharp have a correct price?? I have a much nicer one and with green alps that doesn't have that much hair in it!!!!

tentator

10 May 2016, 18:25

Ok i now realize that's maybe from blaise! :)
Did you let too much cat hair fall into that one Blaise? ;)

snuci
Vintage computer guy

10 May 2016, 18:27

tentator wrote: And does that sharp have a correct price?? I have a much nicer one and with green alps that doesn't have that much hair in it!!!!
It's not about how the keyboard is made, it's about what the keyboard goes with and the rarity in this case. There are several mediocre keyboards that command high prices because owners of the system that the keyboard goes with needs the keyboard.

I have a few keyboards that are more valuable than top notch built keyboards because of the rarity and desirability (supply vs. demand). I wouldn't even post those keyboards here.

Abstractions

10 May 2016, 18:36

snuci wrote: I have a few keyboards that are more valuable than top notch built keyboards because of the rarity and desirability (supply vs. demand). I wouldn't even post those keyboards here.
Post them for sale, or to show off? As we are in the marketplace forum. :roll:

Blaise170
ALPS キーボード

10 May 2016, 19:05

tentator wrote: Ok i now realize that's maybe from blaise! :)
Did you let too much cat hair fall into that one Blaise? ;)
Eh I got it from Japan and the last one I had was sold (clean but with burns all around the bezel) at the same price to some Korean collector. Maybe I'll have to clean it and then it'll be worth even more. :lol:

tentator

10 May 2016, 20:31

Ok I see.. so I think I'm going to clean it up with a nice dental tab bath soon and put it up then sie (no offence to alps fans) I finally got this one because I was curious about this huge alps hype but honestly continue to prefer much more BS or cherry mx clears so far (heresy? ;))

PS: Ok maybe I could still change my mind if and when I'd be able to test blue alps!! :)

Abstractions

10 May 2016, 20:45

Return to “Other external”