Mini-Groupbuy: IBM Model F "Bigfoots" [shipped]

Halvar

11 May 2016, 17:21

Hey,

I have been offered 9 IBM Model F "Bigfoot" keyboards (IBM 5291 terminal keyboards) from Germany, and I wonder if there is interest in these so I can do a little GB for DT.

Here are pictures of the actual keyboards:

post308784.html#p308784

As you can see, German layout (meaning German legends on the key caps, there was no ISO/ANSI difference at that time), and the cables are there, but have been cut near the terminal side.

But: They're Model F ! Best switch you can get. And they're here in Europe.

These keyboards can be converted for modern PCs with Soarer's controller according to this thread:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48950.0

Or you can just use them as sources of original Model F flippers, barrels and keycaps for projects like idollar's FSSK or FEXT or other "Modern F" projects.

Price would be 43 € plus shipping.

Shipping (for one board, but I'll combine shipping if you'd like more): 7 € in Germany, 16 € in the EU with DHL tracked. Anywhere else: probably too expensive, but I will find out if you ask. I can send it without the case if that makes shipping less expensive for you. I won't send you "just the springs and flippers" though, because that's just too much work.

idollar has signalled interest for one, I will keep one or two for myself, so that means there are 6 or 7 boards up for grabs.

Interested? Please post in this thread!

EDIT:
List:

idollar (1) pickup
Halvar (1) pickup
Sayso (1) paid, Address received, board sent
Ray (1) paid, Address received, board sent
Nuum (1) paid, Address received, board sent
Alkhar (1) paid, Address received, board sent
Crossfire (1) paid, Address received, board sent
kekstee (1) paid, Address received, board sent
Dra (1) paid, Address received, board sent
------
Waiting list:
maxmalkav
alh84001
pcaro

---
UPDATE (may 28, 2016): all keyboards are with DHL (in a "Packstation") and will leave town on moday. I will send you tracking codes tomorrow.
UPDATE: all tracking numbers sent out.
Last edited by Halvar on 31 May 2016, 15:01, edited 22 times in total.

Sayso

11 May 2016, 17:42

Hi,

I am in for one ;)

Ray

11 May 2016, 18:03

Yep, in for one as well.
For dirty and cut cable, that's an okay price. As long as nothing is broken besides the cable.

Nuum

11 May 2016, 18:28

Kinda interested, depends on what I need to pay for another thing this month.

OleVoip

11 May 2016, 18:41

Ray wrote: For dirty and cut cable, that's an okay price. As long as nothing is broken besides the cable.
Often this is a bad sign: you cut the cable to indicate that the item is broken beyond repair (or not worth the repair).

need

11 May 2016, 18:46

Hi, I'm in for one !

Alkhar

11 May 2016, 19:20

Hi, up for one

Halvar

11 May 2016, 19:49

Edited OP with current list. 2 or 3 keyboards left!

Crossfire

11 May 2016, 22:19

Count me in, please. Thx bro!
These are waiting to be modded and teensied really bad! 8-)

tigpha

11 May 2016, 23:19

OleVoip wrote:
Ray wrote: For dirty and cut cable, that's an okay price. As long as nothing is broken besides the cable.
Often this is a bad sign: you cut the cable to indicate that the item is broken beyond repair (or not worth the repair).
"Beyond repair" did not apply in two out of my three IBM Bigfoots. Cutting the cable is probably because some of these keyboards do not have the DB15 plug at the end of the cable, but are permanently wired to the console: cutting the cable is easier than completely dissembling the terminal console to unplug the keyboard cable from the PCB connection inside.

I love the IBM Bigfoot. It's my main driver at home. Soarer's Controller works very well indeed with this keyboard.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

11 May 2016, 23:35

Right, the IBM 5291 terminal keyboard is an extremely sturdy well built piece of hardware, I own two that looked like they came out of a warzone but after some work they are fine. So happens that mine came from the same seller as these.
IMG_20160511_233045.jpg
IMG_20160511_233045.jpg (933.04 KiB) Viewed 5795 times

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

12 May 2016, 01:42

Great find for those across the pond! I know the IBMs can be a little harder to find over there.

kekstee

12 May 2016, 01:49

interested if it's just dirty. Got a teensy I could use for this.

Crossfire

12 May 2016, 07:28

Splendid!
@Halvar - when do you plan on taking payments and shipping approximately? asap?
The hype is real :)

idollar
i$

12 May 2016, 07:42

Halvar,

Thanks a lot !!!
If there isn't interest from other people on the one that is left, I may even go for two. The shipping cost is too good :mrgreen:

Dra

12 May 2016, 08:26

I might be interested depending on whether or not I'll be able to scrape together the money

Khers

12 May 2016, 08:33

I can only confirm that bigfeet are indeed kind of indestructible. I got one from Cindy and it got pretty beaten up during shipping (lost an ear and a small piece of the top case, so if anyone is in this to butcher it up, I'd gladly take the top and a foot or two off you) but it has never missed a beat. USB converting it was my first keyboard modification, easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Crossfire

12 May 2016, 08:40

Did you convert like it was posted in OP's link? Modyfing it with additional mini usb breakout board for detachable cable will make it my cold weapon of choice. ;)

Khers

12 May 2016, 08:55

Yup. I wired up a Teensy to the cable pinout on the PCB exactly according to the guide Halvar linked and loaded Soarer's converter on the Teensy. It's a big old brute, but the key feel is amazing!
Last edited by Khers on 12 May 2016, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.

Crossfire

12 May 2016, 09:11

Can't wait to to put my hands on the old lady ;)
Is it that much better than model m as they say? Well, just looking at that huge spacebar for a while now haha

Khers

12 May 2016, 09:24

Yeah, it's that much better than the M. At least in my opinion. With regards to that spacebar, it's VERY worthwhile to perform this mod on it (it's hilariously stiff a standard): workshop-f7/model-f-improvement-dis-ass ... t6982.html

Crossfire

12 May 2016, 09:42

Hype! :)

Halvar

12 May 2016, 14:19

Updated the OP with kekstee and Dra. Seems like there's enough interest to go on with this. :)

I'll provide photos and then send out PMs to everyone regarding payment in the next days.

Ray

12 May 2016, 19:05

It seems I am the only guy who has a damaged bigfoot. My belief is, customs checked the package and dropped the bigfoot onto its edge and the "knob" you turn to extend the left foot broke off.
Or it miraculously ripped its way through the packaging by itself, got in a violent cargo-room keyboard fight and lost (don't know against what), then limped back into the packaging on one foot.

Khers

12 May 2016, 19:30

Nah, something similar happened to my Bigfoot:
:( 'tis but a flesh wound

maxmalkav
dye hard

13 May 2016, 14:58

I join the waiting list just in case one unit becomes available :-)

alh84001
v.001

13 May 2016, 16:18

How come I've only seen this now? Damn it. I guess it's because it was under a Group buy and not member-to-member.

Anyway, add me to the bottom of the list, and if I get called I'd like to decide then.
Last edited by alh84001 on 13 May 2016, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.

Halvar

13 May 2016, 16:23

Done.

Muirium
µ

13 May 2016, 16:26

Good luck to everyone getting their first Model F through this buy. It's a spectacular switch!

Halvar

13 May 2016, 16:40

Mu, you had a very nice mapping for the numpad part of your IBM XT, but I can't find it any more. Do you have an idea what to search for? Maybe a link would be interesting, because this is the same basic layout.

Return to “Group buys”