i-Rocks switch

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

19 May 2016, 12:27

Looks like alps.tw is creating a new switch based on Alps, with a MX stem, for i-Rocks.

https://uccu.cool3c.com/projects/266

Chyros

19 May 2016, 12:36

I couldn't understand a word even of the translations but from what I can tell in the construction diagram it's a hybrid of Cherry MX and simplified Alps.

WHY DOES NO-ONE WANT TO MAKE COMPLICATED AAAALLLLLPPPPPSSSSS

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

19 May 2016, 12:37

Looks very interesting. It would be cool if they designed it in such a way that you could simply replace the stem on the already existing alps boards but that's probably not possible.

Topre Enthusiast

19 May 2016, 12:41

Very cool -- thanks for sharing.

So this is the famous alps.tw!? Probably done more for Alps documentation than anyone else and he certainly looks the part. What a fuckin' legend.

Muirium
µ

19 May 2016, 12:41

Chyros wrote: WHY DOES NO-ONE WANT TO MAKE COMPLICATED AAAALLLLLPPPPPSSSSS
Because you're a cheapskate. And I am too! The purpose is to make money*, at least as much as it is to make good switches.

Must say I like how they took and turned the ubiquitous talk of switch colour:

*Given what 002 just said, I'll put it another way: the purpose is not to fill a dumpster with cash and set it on fire, waiting for guys like Chyros and me to come to the rescue. Manufacturing is expensive. Aim for the market, not the dingalings like us!

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

19 May 2016, 12:43

002 wrote: Sothis is the famous alps.tw!? Probably done more for Alps documentation than anyone else and he certainly looks the part. What a fuckin' legend.
Ahah, I was also more interested by this than by the switch itself, actually. :lol:

Topre Enthusiast

19 May 2016, 12:52

As per usual with Asian > English translations, the result is a dog's breakfast. It seems like he was heavily involved in this new development? Would be interesting to hear how these feel. MX stem compatibility with Alps feel would surely be popular.

need

19 May 2016, 13:03

The silenced blue sounds really nice! They also seem to be making a 28g linear which should be interesting.

derzemel

19 May 2016, 13:19

it looks like the switch case is very similar in size/shape to the normal ALPS case, meaning that cherry profile keycaps could probably hit it.
Also, I like the idea of having different colored switch cases for each type of switch. The custom DIY people would be very happy with the colours and the RGB LED
I wonder if they will be as sensitive to dust as the normal ALPS are

P.S.: probably Matt3o already has a bunch for review :P

infodroid

19 May 2016, 13:32

Is that a pre-order or crowdfunding on the right-hand side?

need

19 May 2016, 13:36

I believe it's a Taiwanese crowdfunding site.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

19 May 2016, 13:41

LOL what a smart move to wait for this until Cherry's MX-patent has expired and there are tons of cheap asian MX clones on the market. Sure their approach adds some very nice features and flavours but they're late to the MX party now ...

Also the case looks quite large for MX compatibility, curious if all popular MX profiles fit onto that. I always had the impression other MX switches get a bit narrower towards the top because that's what keycaps also do ...

Topre Enthusiast

19 May 2016, 13:47

I think this would infringe more on Alps than on Cherry actually, but I doubt Alps give a shit really as I am pretty sure that Alps were (at least initially) cloned with much more fervour than the Cherry MX switch.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

19 May 2016, 13:53

Oh I'm not saying this design is in any way touching Cherry's MX patents which is why it's a pity they didn't come up with this before everyone with an injection molding machine in China started making legal MX clones.

I love the "internally dampened" slider concept taken from Alps switches though. Always thought that was a superiour concept Alps had there.

Topre Enthusiast

19 May 2016, 13:57

So will an MX keycap fit? :D
I'm too lazy to look up genuine Alps and MX measurements

Wodan
ISO Advocate

19 May 2016, 14:05

I remain sceptical.

Chyros

19 May 2016, 14:08

Muirium wrote: Because you're a cheapskate. And I am too!
Yes, you're right of course, nutters like us are hardly a profitable audience xD .

I'd love to give these a go tbh. Compare them to Alps, to Matias, to Cherry... :D Would make for a nice video I think!

Muirium
µ

19 May 2016, 16:56

Looks way too big up top for many (or any!?) MX caps. Which would be disappointing, let's say! Mind, if the guys behind this have any clues, they won't let that be a problem. We need measurements of the appropriate areas or a hands on to settle this.

infodroid

19 May 2016, 17:04

Muirium wrote: Looks way too big up top for many (or any!?) MX caps. Which would be disappointing, let's say! Mind, if the guys behind this have any clues, they won't let that be a problem. We need measurements of the appropriate areas or a hands on to settle this.
Even though the top of the switch housing that sits above the plate is rectangular, it might be that the dimensions would still fit inside the isosceles trapezoid of the Cherry MX switch.

What can we glean from this photo of the underside of one of their caps? Their caps generally look like OEM profile.

Muirium
µ

19 May 2016, 17:28

"Might" is the crucial word there. We need evidence.

KRKS

19 May 2016, 21:39

55g tactile switch that feels better than MX but(probably) takes MX caps? Sign me up!

need

19 May 2016, 21:56

KRKS wrote: 55g tactile switch that feels better than MX but(probably) takes MX caps? Sign me up!
You need to sign up yourself on the crowdfunding site.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

19 May 2016, 22:01

Just my personal impression from all the Cherry MX boards I've seen, those switches look huge.

I just can't see Cherry profile R2 work on that.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

20 May 2016, 00:22

I like aesthetics of alps mount far more tbh

TuxKey
LLAP

20 May 2016, 09:55

i don't have any experience with alps :mrgreen:
but if there is an alp that is as tactile as mx-clears but a bit lighter like a mx-brown that would be a dream switch..
being able to use cherry compatible keycaps would make it an instant buy for me..

The keycap hassle is the only thing i hate about my Topre FC660C not to mention the different spacebar / shift key size but that's a different story..

To sum up Alps with compatible mx stems sign me up :ugeek: :D
hope it takes a few years before we see that board..so i can tell my wife i need a new board with all the boards i like and want to get i need a bit of breathing room hahahah...

need

20 May 2016, 13:33

TuxKey wrote: hope it takes a few years before we see that board..so i can tell my wife i need a new board with all the boards i like and want to get i need a bit of breathing room hahahah...
It's releasing this summer according to the site...

Elrick

23 May 2016, 12:55

Very interesting switch plus having some 70g ALPS keyboards, would be divine.

Just worried about Matias and his key-switch, will he still be in business when these new switches hit the market?

Muirium
µ

23 May 2016, 13:57

One weird trick to stay in business: make things people want.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

23 May 2016, 13:59

Muirium wrote: One weird trick to stay in business: make things people want.
Or get a government contract ;)

Muirium
µ

23 May 2016, 14:00

I didn't say it was the only trick! Another great one: destroy your competitors, by any means necessary.

Return to “News”