Random keyboards, lovingly photographed

Dra

20 May 2016, 23:53

Oh you were the guy who got the board for €5.50? Nice one :P

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

21 May 2016, 00:01

Who me? :?

No that Ericsson type 1121 was part of a haul a while ago. It's pretty interesting, these do not show up too often. Ericsson had their own RMD 973 series switches:

wiki/Ericsson_RMD_973_series

wiki/Ericsson_1121

Dra

21 May 2016, 00:29

Yeah a few weeks ago there was someone who sold a good amount of rather unusual boards and barely any of them went over 10€ :shock:

keycap

21 May 2016, 18:36

Crossfire wrote: Great project, Daniel! Blues or clears feel best on these pcb mount boards;)
Had blacks on mine and didn't really dig them very much...almost horrible to type on :)

Pro tip: use a set of triumph adler or something with white/beige alphas...that'll be too hot to handle :)
My poor, almost unicorn attempt with 1800:
I also like the feel of PCB-mount Blues. The last time that I tried PCB-mount MX Blues, I was very fond of them. I'm already a fan of plate-mount MX Blues, but the click on PCB-mount MX Blues sounds much better overall. Not to mention that there's some flex to the PCB which makes bottoming out a lot more soft when typing.

I actually do like PCB-mount MX Blacks for typing sometimes. The first time I tried it, I thought it was terrible. But it really did grow on me. I could understand the hate if the MX Blacks are scratchy, but mine were pretty smooth because they had a lot of use from the previous owner.

t!ng
Awake Sheep

25 May 2016, 13:03

photo_2016-05-25_13-00-27.jpg
photo_2016-05-25_13-00-27.jpg (89.18 KiB) Viewed 24998 times
I also like PCB-mount Blues and Blacks. The G80-3000 has a horrible flexy housing, but the typing feel and design is beautiful with the right keycaps if you ask me. Especially I think that the G80-3000 is very good with SA caps, as if it was made to demonstrate them. I especially like the falling bottom edge of the board and clean/simplistic design.

seebart

25 May 2016, 13:12

t!ng wrote:
photo_2016-05-25_13-00-27.jpg
I also like PCB-mount Blues and Blacks. The G80-3000 has a horrible flexy housing, but the typing feel and design is beautiful with the right keycaps if you ask me. Especially I think that the G80-3000 is very good with SA caps, as if it was made to demonstrate them. I especially like the falling bottom edge of the board and clean/simplistic design.
Very nice shot! Yeah the G80-3000 flexy housing is not my favorite either, the G80-1000 is not so bad. G80 based keyboards with a metal backplate are great though:

wiki/Unitech_K959

t!ng
Awake Sheep

25 May 2016, 13:16

Thanks. Shot with my dumb smartphone though.

G81-boards feel heavy and sturdy, but lack nice switches =(

seebart

25 May 2016, 13:24

t!ng wrote: Thanks. Shot with my dumb smartphone though.

G81-boards feel heavy and sturdy, but lack nice switches =(
It's a "dumbphone" then. :lol: I got one of those as well. Actually I believe the "dumbphone" makes the user dumber. :o

Muirium
µ

25 May 2016, 13:26

Chill, fellas. We redefined the word "phone" to mean pocket sized internet connected computer a few years ago. The fact they can shoot pictures at all isn't exactly what phone used to mean.

Go with it…

Khers

25 May 2016, 13:28

Then what do you have if your "phone" lacks an internet connection? (Is that even possible??)

Muirium
µ

25 May 2016, 13:28

Then that truly is a dumbphone.

seebart

25 May 2016, 13:38

Muirium wrote: Chill, fellas. We redefined the word "phone" to mean pocket sized internet connected computer a few years ago. The fact they can shoot pictures at all isn't exactly what phone used to mean.

Go with it…
Nah, Steve did that in 2007.

t!ng
Awake Sheep

25 May 2016, 13:50

Well, that escalated quickly...

Muirium
µ

25 May 2016, 13:54

Escalated?

No, it's a game of telephone!

seebart

25 May 2016, 14:01

It's the human need to communicate, even if not necessary. Very pronounced in female humans. That and being able to operate it with our fingers make it a winner. Look at those smart watches, not selling those things. No fun.

Muirium
µ

25 May 2016, 14:08

Wearables are a fascinating problem space. Everyone knows we* want ubiquitous interaction. But no one knows where to put the hardware… yet. So far, the hand is the best place we've found. Ultimately we know that direct optic nerve computing will be a thing… eventually. There's a long space of time between those two points however. And we find ourselves right in it. Awkward!

*No, not you, dear footnote reader. Just the other X billion people on the planet. No offence.

t!ng
Awake Sheep

25 May 2016, 14:22

Google translate tells me

eskalierte (german) == escalated (english)

eekee

25 May 2016, 16:33

seebart wrote: Nah, Steve did that in 2007.
Sorry to go even further off topic, but I have to say this once: Will people please stop crediting Apple for other peoples' inventions? I was taking photos with my phone years before the iPhone was released. I tried out Internet too, but various factors made it not worth the bother. Most of those factors showed signs of improvement before the iPhone and its imitators dominated the market, they had been improving for years. Maybe the statement was made in jest, but enough people take this nonsense seriously that it never was funny.

seebart

25 May 2016, 17:42

Trust me, I am neither an Apple fan or an Apple user. The last Apple computer I used had a beige case. ;)

eekee

25 May 2016, 19:02

Good to know. :) I will admit to owning one Apple product, but I blame my ownership on having grown up in a small British retirement town in the 1980s. "Oppressively dull" is an accurate description; the people my parents taught me to look up to were positively arrogant about their dullness! The Apple product I own has (or rather had) deliciously loud bright green panels on the whitest and plastic-iest possible base. :D Also, curiously enough, a rather decent keyboard for a laptop. It's the best part of the machine. While I'm on my soapbox, I have to add the iBook was not the first laptop with curved panels; I had an 8088-powered one with a similar shape (but it was, horror of horrors, beige!) I threw it out in an overzealous clean-up, but kept the full-travel keyboard.

The neglected old iBook looks quite sad now, and this doesn't even show the fading:
neglected-old-mac.jpg
neglected-old-mac.jpg (254.47 KiB) Viewed 24872 times

Muirium
µ

25 May 2016, 19:08

I'm your inverse. I have a 4K Dell display, but everything else (besides keyboards) is Apple.

Not that you'd catch me claiming they *invented* this or that. No, invention is a sloppy affair. Apple's all about perfecting it!

Excelso

25 May 2016, 23:34

Apple desktop computers are redesigned laptops and Apple laptops are not as good (as expensive) as other laptops... They have a solid work in the software side but hardware is a no go for me.

Muirium
µ

25 May 2016, 23:37

Uh huh. Meanwhile if it doesn't run Mac OS X, it's worthless junk to me. Perspectives, eh?

emdude
Model M Apologist

25 May 2016, 23:43

It's the opposite for me! Apple products are becoming increasingly dull these days.

And your keyboards aren't clean aluminum, perhaps they should be tossed. :evilgeek:

Muirium
µ

25 May 2016, 23:51

Platform wars were more fun when computers still mattered.

emdude
Model M Apologist

26 May 2016, 00:10

They certainly still do, the market has just been saturated for quite some time now. And it is also beginning to happen with tablets and smartphones, including Apple's own products!
Last edited by emdude on 26 May 2016, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

26 May 2016, 00:12

Tablets are apparently fucked. Phones are the present and the future. Correct: the iPhone didn't continue its quarterly record breaking trend this most recent one. But don't count on long term decline there.

The PC, meanwhile, ouch!

emdude
Model M Apologist

26 May 2016, 00:18

Also, Apple reported their first quarterly revenue decline since 2003! They are certainly still making truckloads of money, no doubt, but how much more can they innovate through thinner phones and "rose gold" aluminum?

PCs have definitely been on the decline for a while now, but I don't see anything filling their niche so I imagine they (as we know them anyway) won't be going away for some time yet.

Muirium
µ

26 May 2016, 00:28

Yeah, we're between big things, from everyone. Boring!!

eekee

26 May 2016, 00:53

The computing world's a depressing place under the surface too, it all seems to be going downhill.

Return to “Gallery”