Beamspring Displaywriter (+ wrist wrest)

hammelgammler
Vintage

07 Jun 2016, 15:33

Well like seebart said, 2016 is the year of beamsprings, especially here in Germany!
It's obviously a Displaywriter, but it has another thing on it that I've not seen that often. A wrist wrest! And it's extremely comfortable to type on it. Even better then on the beamfoot.

Sadly it's not in the same great condition as the beamfoot, it's a bit yellowed and has some rust and corrosion on the plate, but nothing that impacts the feeling of it. Feels still very great and smooth.

Last edited by hammelgammler on 07 Jun 2016, 16:31, edited 2 times in total.

alh84001
v.001

07 Jun 2016, 16:25

It looks awesome. And practical. What material is it made of?

hammelgammler
Vintage

07 Jun 2016, 16:33

alh84001 wrote: It looks awesome. And practical. What material is it made of?
Good question, it seems like a bit rubberized plastic, but I'm totally not sure about that. Feels great though.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

07 Jun 2016, 17:02

Very interesting. Looks like the rubbery foam they use/used to use on car dashboards. Would this be accurate?

hammelgammler
Vintage

07 Jun 2016, 17:06

snuci wrote: Very interesting. Looks like the rubbery foam they use/used to use on car dashboards. Would this be accurate?
Yeah kind of, that's a good guess! It doesn't feel like raw plastic like the top case.

Touch_It

07 Jun 2016, 18:37

Awesome. I've always liked display writers. I'm assuming with some measurements, someone who is good at fabricating, could make wrist rests like this. I think it would make display writers very viable as daily drivers. Thanks for sharing!

Maybe one day I'll be able to get one at a reasonable (hopefully amazing) price.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

07 Jun 2016, 18:58

Touch_It wrote: Awesome. I've always liked display writers. I'm assuming with some measurements, someone who is good at fabricating, could make wrist rests like this. I think it would make display writers very viable as daily drivers. Thanks for sharing!

Maybe one day I'll be able to get one at a reasonable (hopefully amazing) price.
I was thinking the exact same thing. That's got to be the sturdiest wrist rest ever.

Abstractions

07 Jun 2016, 21:14

Want! The wrist-rest perfectly complements the board...

Halvar

07 Jun 2016, 21:42

Wristrest -- when the White Whale just isn't whopping enough ... :D

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

07 Jun 2016, 21:53

That is awesome, I always felt like the beamspring boards were lacking in a complementary wristrest.

If I could find one with a near ANSI layout and with wrist wrest I would love a beamspring. :D

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

07 Jun 2016, 22:24

Since my Beamspring Displaywriter is on it's way to me now I think I'll have ask hammelgammler to give me the exact measurements of the wrist-rest for reproduction. The metal bar will be easy but what to use for the actulal rest? I'll also need a pic of the bezel / inlay card which should not be so difficult.

pr0ximity

08 Jun 2016, 13:40

Dang that looks great! I wish they were compatible with a 5251 but it doesn't look like they are without some drilling at the least.

Return to “Gallery”