Realforce 86U/87U vs. HHKB

Jim66

19 Jan 2012, 18:57

I'm teetering on the verge of buying a HHKB, but before I do, I have one question.

The realforce board that I'm typing on feels ultra solid and I'm pretty sure that this is having a large effect on my current typing experience. Previously on here and GH, I've heard some people say that they think that the realforce boards are build more sturdily than the HHKB.

With this in mind, my question is: is the construction of the HHKB that different that it has a significant effect on the typing experience? Is it say, the night and day difference between plate and PCB mounted Cherry switches?

Am I going to be disappointed?

I actually think that this video sounds nicer than the realforce I'm typing on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... WPH7FAUfUY

isman

19 Jan 2012, 19:24

If I say hhkb is better, would u gimme ur 10th Anniversary RF to get one ? :D

itlnstln

19 Jan 2012, 19:30

If you're looking for feel, you might be disappointed with the HHKB. The all-plastic construction just isn't as solid as the RF. Whatever you feelings you have about smoothness and oneness with cup rubber will be replaced with "typical rubber dome."

It's similar to the plate-mounted vs. PCB-mounted Cherrys effect, but instead of being "different," it's just worse. The HHKB layout can't be beat, though. It's a shame. I would save your money unless you really want to check out the layout. There are AutoHotKey scripts that can emulate the HHKB layout on a regular keyboard, too.

ktkr

19 Jan 2012, 20:36

They feel considerably different but both are equally awesome. There are days when I prefer the HHKB feel and vice versa. If I had to choose between the two, I would choose the Realforce all things considered.

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Jan 2012, 21:20

I love my HHKB.

Jim66

19 Jan 2012, 21:28

itlnstln wrote:If you're looking for feel, you might be disappointed with the HHKB. The all-plastic construction just isn't as solid as the RF. Whatever you feelings you have about smoothness and oneness with cup rubber will be replaced with "typical rubber dome."

It's similar to the plate-mounted vs. PCB-mounted Cherrys effect, but instead of being "different," it's just worse. The HHKB layout can't be beat, though. It's a shame. I would save your money unless you really want to check out the layout. There are AutoHotKey scripts that can emulate the HHKB layout on a regular keyboard, too.
Thanks for your honesty, it's pretty much what I expected. Shame really, as I love the look of the blank white HHKB.

Hmmm, I think I might just give it a miss; while the layout is great, I think it would be wasted on me as my work only involves word processing.

Jim66

19 Jan 2012, 21:35

webwit wrote:I love my HHKB.
The layout and size?

itlnstln

19 Jan 2012, 21:38

That's really the key. You can't beat the HHKB for a portable keyboard with its detachable USB cable and layout. If you don't need that, or you're not addicted to the layout, I would pass.

Although, I would murder kittens for a brown Cherry HHKB.

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Jan 2012, 21:51

Layout, size and Topre switches, which are much better than ordinary rubber domes.

The only people who complain about the HHKB are people who can't handle the pro layout and need an excuse to prefer a boring keyboard made for bankers. :evilgeek:

No matter what you mount switches on, the feel of the actual key travel is identical. And it is no cheap, flexing construction which some Cherry boards sport - it has a solid construction, made by Topre, the same manufacturer as the Realforce. The reason it has no metal plate is to keep it light and mobile, not to make it cheaper. Surely the only difference in feel constitutes the bottom out feel, which would be the difference between a solid plastic plate and a metal one using a switch which doesn't require much force. Here's why I have difficulty believing the claimed experience of a difference between day and night, between a pro switch and a typical rubber dome. Itlnstln is a drama queen! And a banker. Woo wee.

cactux

19 Jan 2012, 22:06

[Account and posts deleted on request]

Jim66

19 Jan 2012, 22:20

webwit wrote:Surely the only difference in feel constitutes the bottom out feel, which would be the difference between a solid plastic plate and a metal one using a switch which doesn't require much force.
I think this is nail on head. Don't most people tend to bottom out when they type? I know I do.

EDIT: When I say bottom out, I meant occasionally. Not this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeE5PbXdqRs
Last edited by Jim66 on 19 Jan 2012, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

Minskleip

19 Jan 2012, 22:24

I love HHKB. That's why my Tipro's get the HHKB treatment.

trax

19 Jan 2012, 22:27

Jim66 wrote:
webwit wrote:Surely the only difference in feel constitutes the bottom out feel, which would be the difference between a solid plastic plate and a metal one using a switch which doesn't require much force.
I think this is nail on head. Don't most people tend to bottom out when they type? I know I do.

EDIT: When I say bottom out, I meant occasionally. Not this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeE5PbXdqRs
LOLD SO HARD.

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Jan 2012, 22:30

Bottoming out is ok, I'm just saying the effect should be minimal instead of dramatic because the switch itself is not affected and the plastic plate is thick and solid.

cactux

19 Jan 2012, 22:39

RiGS

19 Jan 2012, 23:30

Also Realforce QA is horrible, as most of their metal plates are full of tiny scratches.
Yes, I got this information straight from the Korean distributor.

cactux

19 Jan 2012, 23:35

ripster

19 Jan 2012, 23:39

Japan QA >>>>> Korean QA>China QA>Signature Plastics/Unicomp USA lack of QA
Last edited by ripster on 19 Jan 2012, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.

RiGS

19 Jan 2012, 23:41

While the build quality is very good. Their quality control still desires some improvement.

ripster

19 Jan 2012, 23:42

Says the Korean.

BTW anybody notice that Geekhack has turned Weeaboo?

RiGS

19 Jan 2012, 23:49

While it is a very nice keyboard, here are a few common problems: twisted keys, ping, sticky sound, scratches on the metal plate, the domes are not uniform across the board(+-15cN is beyond tolerable), the color of the spacebar doesn't match the rest of the keys, the legends are not consistent on full sized keyboards, the key texture is also inconsistent as some of the keys are more texturated than the others.
Last edited by RiGS on 20 Jan 2012, 00:00, edited 3 times in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

19 Jan 2012, 23:57

My understanding is that Topre quality control is best in the business, and a big reason why they are so expensive. Each key is tested and must pass quality standards. This is why banks like Topre keyboards. Missing a 0 because your keyboard is not reliable may have big consequences.

RiGS

20 Jan 2012, 00:05

I think this is just pure speculation or bias towards Japanese goods.

webwit
Wild Duck

20 Jan 2012, 00:15

It's from an inside source, one of sixty's contacts. It's up to sixty if he can/wants to reveal more. I was impressed.

RiGS

20 Jan 2012, 00:25

In theory it sounds good, but in practice it still could be different.
I got the +-15 cN variance from their specs. Also many geekhackers reported that their uniform weighted boards weren't uniform. Some of the domes are sligthly lighter or stiffer than the rest.
Cherry switches are better in this regard.

Jim66

20 Jan 2012, 10:42

Just to be clear, I was intending this to become a HHKB bashing thread, I was just trying to figure out if the two boards feel different and whether that difference is pleasant.

Just so I'm clear, the cursor keys, are they only accessible by pressing the right Fn key?

Last edited by Jim66 on 20 Jan 2012, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.

cactux

20 Jan 2012, 10:44

ktkr

20 Jan 2012, 10:47

RiGS wrote:Also Realforce QA is horrible, as most of their metal plates are full of tiny scratches.
Yes, I got this information straight from the Korean distributor.
Not sure if troll or retard. Who the fuck cares about a plate you can't even see normally?

Minskleip

20 Jan 2012, 10:49

You can setup the left diamond key to be FN as well, but yes.

Jim66

20 Jan 2012, 10:49

Via dip-switch?

Return to “Keyboards”