The Oracle Answers

Muirium
µ

04 May 2016, 22:01

Yeah, mine has a few loose too as I recall. That's Model Ms for you! They'll snap even in storage.

gogusrl

06 May 2016, 14:44

Nice, another fan of the US International layout (as some call it).

Fortunately for you there's also this option : http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13787 . Buy the monoprice and grab a cheap 8200 from ebay for the keycaps (one starting with H so G80-8200HAU or something like that).

Khers

06 May 2016, 15:24

gogusrl

06 May 2016, 22:13

Just had a really sucky revelation. Leeku's pcb can only do split spacebar with 1.25 mods. How much shit would you guys give me if I cut off the spacers from this :

Zeix

12 May 2016, 07:41

Can't decide between poker ii(non backlit) and ducky mini :lol:
Poker has pbt caps but ducky has RB leds and the aluminium case (as well as the free carrier :lol: )

tho i would probably be getting gradient pbts after a couple of months but the leds and aluminium case/bezel of the ducky

probably makes it look worse compared to the poker :/ Won't be getting an aluminium case for the poker(price tag ;-;) so

likely not won't be modifying much other than caps. Pretty afraid of led failure on the ducky as well.

Khers

12 May 2016, 09:48

gogusrl wrote: Just had a really sucky revelation. Leeku's pcb can only do split spacebar with 1.25 mods. How much shit would you guys give me if I cut off the spacers from this :

Couldn't you mod the PCB yourself to accept the 1u key in a layout like this: 1.5|blank|1.5|2.25|1.25|2.75|1.5|1|blank|1.5? You'd maybe need to drill a hole or two and run two tiny wires from neighbouring pads to the switch. If I understand the schematics correctly, everything else should fit, right?

gogusrl

12 May 2016, 09:57

Hmm, I'll have to take a look at that, might be workable.

Khers

12 May 2016, 14:09

Just realized that I'm stupid and my solution won't work as it doesn't sum to 15, but rather to 15.25 :(. Sorry about that...

What could work, despite not being advertised is: 1.5|blank|1.25|2.25|1.25|2.75|1.5|1|blank|1.5 (mod mix galore) or 1.5|blank|1.25|2.25|1.25|2.75|1.25|1.25|blank|1.5, and at least the latter should be fully supported by the PCB. I may have done something wrong again though. That seemed almost too easy. Perhaps I'm distracted by the nice weather. :mrgreen:

andrewjoy

19 May 2016, 14:17

looking for

backlit
with pointing device
small enough to fit on 19inch rack shelf
does not have to be mechanical

any ideas?

Rimrul

19 May 2016, 19:56

andrewjoy wrote: backlit
That combination seems a little odd to me. Don't you have lamps in your server room?

Without the backlighting a G80-11800 would fit the bill for example. Without the pointing device a backlit Poker would work...

shreebles
Finally 60%

19 May 2016, 22:46

Something something TG3...
This would fit the bill. And/or the Data 911, if that's not same thing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TG3-KBA-nBLTA-U ... 1525224838

andrewjoy

20 May 2016, 11:49

Rimrul wrote:
andrewjoy wrote: backlit
That combination seems a little odd to me. Don't you have lamps in your server room?

Without the backlighting a G80-11800 would fit the bill for example. Without the pointing device a backlit Poker would work...

not in a cinema projection room no its a bit dark in there

Scottex

06 Jun 2016, 23:34

Oh mighty Oracle,

I desire a TKL ISO Alps board, are there any in the whole world?

Muirium
µ

06 Jun 2016, 23:37

Does it have to be factory made, or do customs count? There's a lot of Alps 60%s out there now, thanks to Hasu's Alps 64 PCB. I suspect there are also TKLs I haven't heard of, at least in the works.

Honest to Alps, classic TKLs though? None that come to my mind. But there are people around here who know a lot more about Alps history than me.

emdude
Model M Apologist

06 Jun 2016, 23:38

Scottex, check out BlueNalgene's new Alps Party IC for TKL/TKs here! His plans include ISO support as well!

If you want something cheaper or sooner, then you could also get a V80 with Matias switches (and switch those out for real Alps if you so desire).

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

06 Jun 2016, 23:46

Scottex wrote: Oh mighty Oracle,

Blaise170 has a FILCO ZERO with Xiang Min KSB-C Alps clones for sale, but it's JIS.

for-sale-f55/vintage-keyboards-keys-etc ... lco%20zero

scottc

06 Jun 2016, 23:56

Could someone poke BlueNalgene to open the Alps Party TKL thread over here too? My Alps Party 60% order was sadly stillborn but I'm interested in the TKL regardless.

elecplus

07 Jun 2016, 01:36

Scottex wrote: Oh mighty Oracle,

I suppose the old Apple boards don't count? They are Alps...

scottc

07 Jun 2016, 01:41

Not TKL though, unfortunately!

elecplus

07 Jun 2016, 01:49

scottc wrote: Not TKL though, unfortunately!
OK, call me stupid. I kinda thought missing the numpad meant more or less ten-key-less?
I have old Apples here with Alps and no ten keys. But prob still not what is wanted, since they don't talk USB.

Scottex

07 Jun 2016, 10:31

emdude wrote: Scottex, check out BlueNalgene's new Alps Party IC for TKL/TKs here! His plans include ISO support as well!

If you want something cheaper or sooner, then you could also get a V80 with Matias switches (and switch those out for real Alps if you so desire).
Nice, this is what i was just looking for :D
I think i will wait for the Alps party given that i have the switches and the caps :mrgreen:

Thanks to all of you for your quick responses ;)

scottc

07 Jun 2016, 10:37

elecplus wrote:
scottc wrote: Not TKL though, unfortunately!
OK, call me stupid. I kinda thought missing the numpad meant more or less ten-key-less?
I have old Apples here with Alps and no ten keys. But prob still not what is wanted, since they don't talk USB.
I might be missing something then. I assumed you meant things like AEKs and M0116s that have numpads. Which Apple keyboards without numpads do you have available?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

07 Jun 2016, 10:52

The only Apple tenkeyless keyboards I know are the M0110 and the adjustable. Are there others?

Scottex

07 Jun 2016, 11:38

seebart wrote: The only Apple tenkeyless keyboards I know are the M0110 and the adjustable. Are there others?
aren't those "60%"?

Muirium
µ

07 Jun 2016, 11:45

Yup. The M0110 is the definitive 60%.

TKL has a *meaning*, Seebart. I was explaining this to a keyboard newb yesterday. There's more than one separate category below fullsize.

Imagine, fullsize fans, if people dared call your boards 122s even when they're not!

rootwyrm

16 Jun 2016, 16:55

Oh great and mighty Oracle.. or I guess really anybody at all at this point. I come seeking the purest of unobtanium.

I seek.. a full size ANSI board. But no ordinary board. For I desire.. Gateron Greens! And 1.5U Windows keys. And media keys. Oh, and Cherry stabilizers. Has to be Cherry stabilizers.

And, no. I can't be trusted to replace 104-108 switches and not wreck something. Just... just trust me on this.

scottc

16 Jun 2016, 17:01

Just solder witches into a Leeku PCB?

Muirium
µ

16 Jun 2016, 17:37

scottc wrote: Just solder witches into a Leeku PCB?
Burn them!
Very slowly!

stuplarosa
AltGr

16 Jun 2016, 18:28

Only Gateron Green Witches!

rootwyrm

16 Jun 2016, 20:48

Muirium wrote:
scottc wrote: Just solder witches into a Leeku PCB?
Burn them!
Very slowly!
... hmm, I am quite good at burning witches. But I am better at burning switches.
Problem is, I really hate the 1800 layout. That's kind of why I mentioned ANSI. Anything that deviates too much from an M just never works. Call me a purist there, I guess.

Surely there's got to be someone out there using them in production or a swappable board? Or a vendor that'll do the swap for me?

Return to “Keyboards”