CM Storm Xornet Refresh? Any feedback/suggestions?

davkol

30 Oct 2015, 17:12

Yeah, it's out. Looks like
  • the shape remains the same;
  • there's obviously a new sensor (Avago 3320), and it seems to allow dpi changes in smaller steps between 500 and 3500 (only 3 available at a time, and configuration appears to be Windows-only) as well as LOD customization;
  • backlit wheel as a dpi indicator FFFUUUUU-
  • …but at least they've fixed the wiggly dpi button;
  • although, the cable, OTOH, is still the same heavy beast;
  • and switches are still the same too.

ufasas

03 Nov 2015, 01:41

what is changed in cooler master page download section 0.57 firmwware version for cms xornet2 ?

I have mouse with 1.00 FW, so this is older fw on page or what?

ZenithPhantasm

06 Nov 2015, 21:06

Hi would there be a FW in the future to further reduce the click latency? ;)

ufasas

10 Nov 2015, 02:54

Also, can we have a software version where OS sensitivity settings and DPI levels + LOD setting would be in one window?

Rhakka

17 Nov 2015, 22:40

So, I see that "it's out", but... where can I actually buy it. :x The buttons on my original Xornet are just starting to stick and I'd REALLY love to get the new version. :o

Thanks!

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

12 Jan 2016, 13:49

Hey Guys,

Since the beginning of this post we actually released the new Xornet II!

What do you guys think?
http://gaming.coolermaster.com/en/produ ... xornet-ii/

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

12 Jan 2016, 18:06

I still don't like right handed mice. Let me know when you release a competent symmetrical mouse to replace my Logitech G3.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

22 Jan 2016, 10:20

XMIT wrote: I still don't like right handed mice. Let me know when you release a competent symmetrical mouse to replace my Logitech G3.
If we would be working on a Xornet II Ambidextrous that would be something you would be looking for? And in terms of specs and features what should we remove/add/change from the Xornet II (besides the shape)

Elrick

22 Jan 2016, 12:01

CM Bram wrote:
XMIT wrote: If we would be working on a Xornet II Ambidextrous that would be something you would be looking for? And in terms of specs and features what should we remove/add/change from the Xornet II (besides the shape)
How about an all PBT shell done in Black and another model done in Beige so you'll create two colour models featuring a 3310 Sensor.

PLEASE avoid adding any stupid RGB lights which seems to be popular with idiots these days.

Maximus_Fleximus

22 Jan 2016, 13:49

Allright noobs, here we go ...

The coolermaster mouse.

I have owned a xornet 1, two Spawn's , and now the xornet 2 . In my mouse drawer are also the

- razer deathadder, both 3500 and chroma
- Finalmouse 2015
-Mionis 7000 (or something)
- Logitegh G303
-Steelseries Kana V2

I like to try out different mice and pads. But, i keep coming back to the SPAWN/Xornet.

Main reasons are its shape, and its weight.
Shape because you can really claw the crap out of it. And i don't care what anybody says about "it's just preference' , claw grip is simply superior if talking about fast accuracy , it's just how the body works.

The spawn and xornet are also very light. This, is also a must if you want performance. Keep it as light as possible, again, not so much to do with preference, it's just physics bro . You can accelerate faster, and stop faster with a LIGHT mouse. It needs to be LIGHT. Period.

The SPAWN had it's problems. I absolutely loved the color and the shell layer they used. Very good sensor.
Firmware however, not so great. You could either choose between a MASSIVE lod, or a TINY lod, and the spawn would become incredibly finicky about the surface it was on with the later firmwares.

The Xornet 2 that i am using now i will be using for the forseeable future. The sensor is pretty good, shape and materials are good, and as i mentioned, shape and weight are near perfect. I say near perfect because the perfect mouse would have to be molded to each individual . (I'd pay for that btw -_- )

If there would ever be a SPAWN refresh , i would like to list the things that would make it perfect .

- Weight as LOW as possible. (already one of lightest mouse, but make it even lighter!)
- Top grade sensor, no need for a thousand dpi's, just 400, 800, and 1600 would be perfect.
- LIGHT pressed main buttons. This is something razer does well with their buttons on the deathadder. Just steel those buttons .
- Put effort in to eliminate button lag as much as possible . Xornet 1 was fast , spawn was mediocre, have no data on the Xornet 2 yet. It's not as fast as the (for instance) finalmouse in regards of button lag though. Make it faster :)
- Cable, doesn't have to be braided , just again, make it LIGHT. It's light enough on the Xornet 2, but could be lighter still .
- On board memory, so we can use the software to set it all up, and then uninstall it. (Xornet and Spawn already have it, keep it like that)

One last thing, and it's a weird thing that i can find no info about. It's a problem i feel the most with the Finalmouse, and the least with the Xornet/SPAWN :

Mouse-angle , if there would be a way to eliminate it with a rotatable sensor or something ... Just hear me out (lol) ...

Look at these 2 pics :

http://imgur.com/OtrmLqo

http://imgur.com/y1EroFE

It's very annoying if you play with your mouse close to the center of your desk. When you sit behind your desk in a normal ergonomical fashion, your arm is naturally at an angle.
This however means if you move the mouse from left to right , you will not make a straight line !

So in order to keep the mouse pointing straight up, you have to sit in a very wide unnatural position, with your mouse arm flailing all the way out . This is not good for accuracy and control.

A rotatable sensor would eleviate this problem to some extent. You could adjust it (rotate 1 click for instance) so that when you sit in a natural (angled) position, the SENSOR would still be pointing straight up.

An even better solution would be to just completely let go of the sensor movement depending on the angle of the mouse, but that's probably not possible . You'd need a mousemat that would communicate with the mouse or something i guess.
That, or a radical new sensor which is totally undependant on what way it is facing.

Nevermind, just looked at my arm when moving. Mouse always goes in an arch, so the sensor rotation wouldn't work either, unless it would be gyroscoped or something and straighten itself out during movement :D ... One can dream right ?
When you think about it, the way we control our crosshairs in game is pretty crude and crappy :(

Forgive my rambling, anyway to recap , if a SPAWN 2 ever comes out :

- Make it LIGHT
- NO button lag
- Epic sensor (just in case, don't think i would notice if the sensor was not "perfect" on paper anyway)

Later noobs.

Maximus_Fleximus

24 Jan 2016, 12:19

Hmm after testing button lag, it's about 15 ms slower than the Finalmouse for instance :(

And yes i can feel it, :(

JazzThing

26 Jan 2016, 04:52

The Xornet v1 was awesome. I only play RTS, I have large hands (20 cm from middle finger tip up untill palm base), and I move the mouse using my wrist in fingertip grip. I have tried a lot of mouses (the mico, the g9x, the sensei, the kinzu, the abyssus, and the za13), and honestly, the Xornet was my favorite mouse since my Mico.

Yesterday my Xornet stopped working, due to a cable issue i think. I was about to order another one when I heard about the new model. I like neither rgb leds, nor software customisation at all, but I just ordered one, and also another v1, just in case.

Thank you CM for making such cool small mouses (and cool gear in general, i'm typing on the excellent novatouch right now). My only hope would be an ambidextrous version, without programmable stuff, without rgb leds, but with rwo more sensivity presets.

Muirium
µ

26 Jan 2016, 05:09

I've biggish hands too, and finger tip grip is the only mousing style for me. Likely a pattern…

Maximus_Fleximus

30 Jan 2016, 16:58

What did the latest firmware do ? When i do the "knocktest" , it's like the button lag is slightly less ?

I did brick one specimen doing the firmware update though, but since it's so cheap i just bought another one

Not bad for an "office sensor" .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9CcoSdmfEo

Hypersphere

09 Feb 2016, 19:05

I have been researching computer mice recently because I need an additional mouse with the excellent characteristics of the Razer Deathadder Black Edition, which sadly is no longer in production.

Things I look for in a mouse:

+ Right-hand ergonomic shape for a palm grip.
+ Large size with a shape similar to the Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0.
+ Simple button configuration: Left, Right, Scroll w/click; possibly two left-side buttons. Possibly DPI buttons.
+ Light-touch switches (Omron).
+ Quiet notched scroll wheel with a light middle click.
+ Black slightly textured shell. Same material on sides or possibly well made rubber grips.
+ Optical sensor with DPI at least 3500, but would consider a good laser sensor.

Things I do not like in a mouse:

- Ostentatious logos or other branding.
- LEDs, unless sparingly and tastefully done.
- More than 7 buttons.
- Sticky plastic in locations where there might be hand contact.
- Weights.
- Colors other than black or dark gray.

Innovations to consider:

+ Removable cord.
+ Accessible screws so that the mouse could be opened without removing feet or labels.

Current mouse that I like:

+ Razer Mamba Tournament Edition. (The new Razer Deathadder has a noisy scroll wheel).

Mice I have recently rejected:

- Corsair M65 RGB -- Not long enough; heel not wide or high enough; awkward sniper button; heavy middle click.
- Mionix Castor -- Excellent overall, but a bit too small.
- Mionix Naos 7000 -- Excellent shape, but too slippery to pick up easily.
- Razer Deathadder Chroma -- noisy scroll wheel.
- Roccat Kone XTD -- Excellent build quality; superb switches; splendid scroll wheel; BUT, sticky plastic on light stripes.

Mice I am considering but not yet tried:

- Asus ROG Gladius -- looks good, but I do not like the lit-up branding "Republic of Gaming".
- Cougar 550M -- looks good, but I do not like the oversized logo.
- EVGA Torq X10 Carbon -- looks interesting, but I would prefer a right-hand ergonomic design.
- Gigabyte XM300 -- looks excellent, but not yet available.
- Logitech G502 -- Gets rave reviews, but I am not fond of the looks, weights, or metal scroll wheel.
- Roccat Tyon -- Shape and build quality look good, but too many buttons and might not be sufficiently long or high.
- Roccat Kone Pure Optical -- Shape and build quality look good, but will probably be too small.
- Steelseries Rival 300.
- Zowie EC1-A.

One thing I like about Roccat mice is that they have Linux support. They also have superior build quality, and I was almost sold on the Roccat Kone XTD. However, they need to make a revised Kone XTD that does not have the glossy sticky light strips where they can make hand contact. My Razer Mamba TE has similarly placed light strips, but they are thinner and either do not make hand contact or the plastic is of a different composition that does not feel sticky to the touch.

I hope that these comments are helpful to CM in considering their future designs for computer mice.

davkol

09 Feb 2016, 19:26

Hypersphere wrote: + Right-hand ergonomic shape for a palm grip.
+ Large size with a shape similar to the Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0.

I hope that these comments are helpful.
These are the complete opposite of Xornet.

Relevant mice by CM Storm are Alcor/Mizar (IME 3.0 clones, but slightly smaller) and the new Sentinel refresh.

Hypersphere

10 Feb 2016, 15:29

Yes, I know. I was offering comments for their mouse line in general. Apologies for any confusion.

Maximus_Fleximus

28 Feb 2016, 23:22

Man i wish they made a Spawn 2

I can't really turn fast with the xornet, it skips @ high speeds, and i want a SPAWN 2 !!! PLEASE MAKE

Elrick

01 Mar 2016, 03:44

Maximus_Fleximus wrote: Man i wish they made a Spawn 2

AGREE, they should re-launch a totally new Spawn version with either a 3360 or a 3988 sensor inside it because CM needs to produce a Game winning small mouse, for the majority out there that loves them.

If they (CM) could do this then Logitech, Razer and SteelSeries shall be demolished into the redundant category, where they belong.

Maximus_Fleximus

09 Mar 2016, 08:58

I know man . :(

They should put a 3310 in the xornet, and decrease button lag as much as possible.

I'd buy 10 and be done for life :d

lvk

16 Mar 2016, 13:54

I made a post last July and now I finally purchased the new Xornet II. My old V1 still works fine and I will put that to other use now. Here are my comments of this new refresh model:

- Looks aesthetically great with new matte style and physically it feels like a quality product. Shape is otherwise exactly the same which is great news as it is the main selling point of this mouse. Also DPI buttons "shell" is made differently and these buttons don't rattle anymore.

- Larger glides, good I guess but not a big deal to me as V1 glides still look like new after 5 years of use. Sensor is angled differently.

- Cable is different and now has stress/pull relief. I was totally fine with V1 cable so doesn't really affect me. Cable should be longer than what it currently is.

- Initial thoughts about material changes: V2 feels very slippery compared to my old, used V1. V2 almost has that Mionix feel to it that I really don't like. V2 side rubber feels more slippery than V1 side rubbers, but biggest difference maker probably is the shell material, especially on butt part, it just doesn't stick to my palm like V1 does and therefore I find lifting V2 way harder than old V1. Mouse1 and mouse2 also feel a lot smoother but that is probably due comparing it to worn V1. My mouse1 does not squeek like some have reported. Overall I hope some wear and tear will leviate this traction issue I currently have with the new V2. One could in theory swap V1 rubber side grips to V2.

- New thumb buttons (M4 and M5) and new scroll wheel require about 30% more pressure to activate (this is my personal feel approximation). Thumb buttons are also differently shaped than in V1 and my initial thoughts are that I prefer old flat button style over this new shaped one. V2 shaped button style seems to limit my thumb position and makes pressing slightly harder than the flat style. I guess that I get used to the new thumb button style.

- New scroll wheel with colours. Other than requiring more actuation force, the new scroll wheel feels okay. I was already fine with previous wheel and never felt it required changing. V2 wheel is louder than V1 and has more noticeable mechanical feedback than previous one had. You have option to disable wheel colours which is a plus in my book.

- 1000 Hz plug'n'play, everything feels okay straight away, I only used software to change DPI steps and then unistalled it. There is still issues with firmware from what I've read and I'm just waiting them to be fixed before I flash mine as you can't currently revert back to FW1.00 from what I know (as there isn't FW1.00 flasher available). I also didn't change LOD as I've heard it introduces new problems in some cases. I wish Cooler Master would offer older firmware and software versions on their page as we've seen their firmware almost everytime introduce new problems and user is forced to decide which fix he really needs. The best would of course be working firmware but that seems like a longshot.

- Main reason why I changed from V1 to V2 was new sensor and I'm glad that the new sensor is adequate for my use in CS:GO. I can't get this new AVAGO 3320 to malfunction so difference is night and day (using QPAD UC50 Pro, black, soft cloth mousepad). Overall tracking seems to be improved aswell. There are some things like x0,85 lens combined with LOD and firmware issues, but overall I'm quite happy with the tracking capabilities. If sensor change wouldn't have fixed my V1 gaming issues, I would have returned the V2.

In shorter summary Some parts it feels like downgrade for me (shell traction and feeling slippery being the biggest issue right now) but sensor upgrade alone kinda makes up for those caveats. V1 worked fine for me except when it came to low sensitivity, high tracking speed games like CS:GO and Quake, and if it weren't for that reason, I would have probably just stayed with V1. My opinion might change after longer period of testing and I really hope I get used to these new materials.

TuxKey
LLAP

17 Mar 2016, 18:03

Only one thing keeps me going back to a Logitech mouse for my daily driver and that's hyper scroll.
That's the main reason why i switched from my all time favourite MX400 to my new M500...
Now i have to M500 just in case haahhaha 8-)

Being a computer / keyboard :ugeek: i have a cheap practical Keyboard Mouse switch "CMP-USBKMSW10" from Konig..
Apparently KVM switches and in my case KM switch don't use standard protocols according to Logitech.
My older MX400 works fine with this switch..But my newer M500 behaves erratic..

So the ideal mouse for me would be one that can work with a keyboard/mouse switch and have hyper scrolling.. :D

All other suggestions would be to expensive..

Elrick

09 Apr 2016, 04:45

TuxKey wrote: Only one thing keeps me going back to a Logitech mouse for my daily driver and that's hyper scroll.
So the ideal mouse for me would be one that can work with a keyboard/mouse switch and have hyper scrolling.. :D
Hyper scroll is an exclusive Logitech Branded product hence they will never allow any other company to make and distribute it into any input device.

Shame really because the "Hyper-scroll" is a GREAT idea for long webpages and documents - simply ideal ;) .

spiffiness

22 Jun 2016, 01:29

I tried the Xornet II a few days ago because my CM Spawn scroll wheel seems to be scrolling up occasionally on screen when I'm actually scrolling down. The shape on the X2 is great like the Spawn, but the clicking on M1 and M2 is so loud and stiff compared to my old Spawn! If there is a coming refresh of the Spawn, please keep the same soft touch buttons as the original. I returned the Xornet II because the stiffness will make my finger joints ache. Now I'm lost because the Spawn was so close to perfect for me...

coccosoids

29 Jun 2016, 20:48

lvk wrote: In shorter summary Some parts it feels like downgrade for me (shell traction and feeling slippery being the biggest issue right now) but sensor upgrade alone kinda makes up for those caveats. V1 worked fine for me except when it came to low sensitivity, high tracking speed games like CS:GO and Quake, and if it weren't for that reason, I would have probably just stayed with V1. My opinion might change after longer period of testing and I really hope I get used to these new materials.
This needs to be addressed quickly. Mouse is close to unusable to me. I have it for 3 days and... my only hope is that enough dirt and skin oils will settle on it to become as grippy as the first one.

There are a few other (quite major) ergonomic issues with it inherited from the first, but they rather pale with the new soft slippery ice-like coating.

coccosoids

29 Jun 2016, 20:49

Quite curious if the CM Employee still reads these forums.

lvk

11 Jul 2016, 19:11

I have been using Xornet v2 for few months now and it still feels too slippery for me and doesn't seem to get better over time at all. Also I haven't got used to new mousewheel and thumb buttons, those still feel like downgrade when it comes to actuation force and ergonomics to the point that v2 gives me aches after certain point. On top of that firmware issues still seem to remain mostly unfixed.

For now I'm in search for new mouse again and meanwhile I'll use my Xornet v1. Could have just refreshed v1's sensor and kept rest the same in my opinion.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

14 Jul 2016, 15:38

coccosoids wrote: Quite curious if the CM Employee still reads these forums.
Boo? :evilgeek: 8-)

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

14 Jul 2016, 15:46

@All: I am reading a few points of feedback here regarding the tracking/fw and about slippary. Can you help me clear it up?

Firmware/Tracking: What FW version are you guys refering too? Did you guys try the latest version thats on our site?
Surface: The coating of the plastic shell? Any suggestions perhaps? Or the rubberized sides and the patern also?

As for some points like the sidebuttons I am dissapointed to read not everyone likes the upgrade. We spent quite some time and tried multiple shapes and came out with this current design as the best. Same for the scrollwheel pattern i.e.

coccosoids

20 Jul 2016, 16:10

CM Bram wrote:
coccosoids wrote: Quite curious if the CM Employee still reads these forums.
Boo? :evilgeek: 8-)
Hey, hey! Easy there... ;)

Return to “Mice & other input devices”