I can't decide on a switch.

Eagle1337

31 Jan 2012, 06:29

I currently got blues and my next board is going to be a linear switch. I was on a whole let's get myself some mx blacks. While a horrible test I decided to hook up my logitech g110 as it's about 60-70g of force.. this thing is giving me major cramping.. I know it's not a nice and angled profile but before i got my mx blues, it didn't cramp my hands. SO now i'm thinking of mx reds but they seem to light for my likes as i find the blues to light as I smash them still.

Gilgam

31 Jan 2012, 10:08

Well
brown is a nice mix.

I begun with blacks but as time went by i loved lighter switches, And i really appreciate lighter switches like red or brown (blues are too noisy for my job).

The best is to get some keyboard and test it for at least few days... Browns are easier to find, and cheaper.

Mrinterface

31 Jan 2012, 14:00

Or subscribe to one of the switch try lists......

Gilgam

31 Jan 2012, 18:22

Switch try may be nice for testing but the best way is to have a full keyboard and try it dor some hours.
initial feeling may really change as time goes by.

But SwitchTryPads are really nice. don't misinterpret my words :-)

trax

31 Jan 2012, 18:34

Gilgam is right. The trybags give you an idea about what they feel like. But it takes like a week to find out if you like the switch or not. I recommend buying dem boards second hand and try them all out.

Gilgam

31 Jan 2012, 20:00

trax wrote:Gilgam is right.
Well, you don't need to add something else :mrgreen:

More seriously
I purchased old keyboards to test each switch, As i bought old ones, the touch feeling must be different from new ones, but i got the idea.

What about a Keyboard try set ?
(more expensive shipping though).

Eagle1337

31 Jan 2012, 20:48

The issue is I'm jumping on an order with a friend soonish so i don't think i got time to wait. Tbh I'm not sure how too light i'd find the Reds, as my blues after using my g110 for a day is nice and light, So i'm even more baffled.

Gilgam

31 Jan 2012, 21:08

buy a red keyboard, anf if you don"t like it you will be able to sell it a good price.

Eagle1337

31 Jan 2012, 21:36

True, I was thinking of getting mx browns but then again everyone says they hardly ever notice the bump.

xbb

31 Jan 2012, 22:25

Eagle1337 wrote:True, I was thinking of getting mx browns but then again everyone says they hardly ever notice the bump.
I do feel it quite well after using MX red switches.

Gilgam

31 Jan 2012, 23:27

Eagle1337 wrote:True, I was thinking of getting mx browns but then again everyone says they hardly ever notice the bump.
The bump is really noticeable, there is a real difference beetween red and brown switches (and i have an old compaq mx11800) . unless you are one of these black addict :mrgreen:

Eagle1337

31 Jan 2012, 23:57

I presume there is a huge dif between the two I was just echoing a, popular statement . I'm honestly stuck on what switch

Gilgam

01 Feb 2012, 00:14

Not huge but noticeable.

Buy both ;-)

Keymonger

01 Feb 2012, 13:25

For me personally... the biggest factor in favoring one switch over the other is the activation force. I had a ludicrous time picking browns over reds because the force is the same. Although I like blues also. But anything heavier I probably wouldn't like... and I've tried heavier keyboards although they were crappy rubber domes. I'm guessing this might be the case for a lot of people though... switch force might be the most important thing.

Tactility and feel is nice but if it's too heavy or too light for you... it won't matter.

Although I do think the type of switch might make it feel lighter/heavier than it is, so that might complicate things. In other words you can never really rule out a switch without trying it yourself.

ripster

01 Feb 2012, 18:48

Activation force is VERY important. That's why I keep a database of them using....well, you know.

http://www.overclock.net/t/881812/tell- ... r-keyboard

cable

01 Feb 2012, 19:57

ripster wrote:Activation force is VERY important. That's why I keep a database of them using....well, you know.

http://www.overclock.net/t/881812/tell- ... r-keyboard
This man speaks the truth.

P.S. Y U DELETE YOUR POST in the WTF thread?

Eagle1337

02 Feb 2012, 04:15

I agree the activation force is important. I've tried blacks and they felt nice.. but it wasn't a long trial, so I don't know how typing would be on them. As my g110's force (might be the key's flat angle) was majorly cramping my hands.. which has me looking at browns and reds.

gore

02 Feb 2012, 14:59

For what It's worth I still notice the bump consistently. I guess it depends how you type.

Eagle1337

02 Feb 2012, 23:35

I mash my blues pretty hard and the click to me is a bump..

Return to “Keyboards”