In for more than three Beamspring Controller
2%
Intereste in a Beamspring-USB-Solenoid-Driver-Rev2
42%

Total votes: 96

Wodan
ISO Advocate

26 Aug 2016, 08:38

So it seems getting you hands on a Beamspring controller these days can be pretty hard. Last sources are running out and it appears like I will have a second Beamer for restoration soon.

Adressed this with lot_lizard who's well known here for his great efforts in the vintage IBM area and he's very willing to do a GB together with me. The idea here being that one guy on each side of the pond can handle the domestic orders (EU/US) while I will additionally handle all other international orders. To get a reasonable price per unit (we're aiming for something <25US$ or even <20US$) we should order at least 50 units. I am totally fine with stocking a few controllers to help reach MOQ and continue to sell them at a "retail price" once the GB has ended.

Please be aware that we are talking about the controller "Beamspring-USB-Rev4" from this thread:
f-o-r-s-a-l-e-f58/xwhatsit-s-grand-unif ... t7993.html
Spoiler:
There are no plans making DisplayWriter controllers as well since neither of us needs one and the market is even smaller.
Maybe we can even get the PCB revised/optimized a little :)

Well please state your interest by participating in the poll. Comments below.

IMPORTANT: You have two options in the poll. PLEASE only use the second option to indicate your interest in a solenoid driver board and do not vote two Beamspring Controller options.
UPDATE:

Taking orders now, fill in the form please:
https://goo.gl/forms/u4MBAiuYmRmjLU8F3

PLEASE SUBMIT ANOTHER FORM FOR ORDER CHANGES. ALL BUT THE LATEST ENTRY PER USER WILL BE DELETED. TIMESTAMP OF THE FIRST ENTRY PER USER COUNTS FOR FCFS.

Please note:
- No promised delivery date yet. Delivery scope will be provided when invoicing starts
- Limited quantities, FCFS
- US orders will be fulfilled by lot_lizard from within the US, all other orders will be filled by me
- HYPE!

Update 2017-March-20:

All the funds for this GB are still WITH ME (WODAN) and the controllers have not yet been ordered with the factory. This GB will be ordered along with the ModelMF controllers to give us the best pricing but the MF controller order has been delayed due to design considerations. Since I have gotten a few requests for extras, I will re-open the order form until the factory order is due.

Participants who are disapointed by this and want out please reply to your GB invoice email and I can refund you.
Last edited by Wodan on 20 Mar 2017, 13:15, edited 5 times in total.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

26 Aug 2016, 08:40

asdf

HAL

26 Aug 2016, 11:33

count me in

derzemel

26 Aug 2016, 13:24

me too :D

Khers

26 Aug 2016, 13:46

I might just as well get one, in the unlikely event that I ever across a beamer for a fair price.

Firebolt1914

26 Aug 2016, 19:09

I would be in for a solenoid driver.

Invisius

26 Aug 2016, 19:27

Absolutely in for a few, had a hard time finding just 1 and I keep having to swap it around between boards.

I'll go with 5 for the meantime, maybe more if we can get the per-unit price down.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

26 Aug 2016, 23:52

Great idea, count me in for at least 2.

photekq
Cherry Picker

27 Aug 2016, 00:36

Voted. FWIW I would take 4 solenoid drivers.

lot_lizard

27 Aug 2016, 02:50

Wodan, 50+ of the controllers and 25+ of the solenoid drivers will be a very safe bet, but I would play with the online quoting to see the cost tiers. I vote we do the next tier over what people currently want in the GB (unless it is multiple times more), and then keep on hand for those that straggle in afterwards with a $5-7 premium for acting as "the supplier". Maybe run this GB for a month with multiple bumps along the way, and see where we are settle?!? There is no doubt that there will be enough interest. Even someone without one would hop in knowing they want one at some point, and the controllers are finally cheap.

$45+ for the controller at current rates (one supplier) deters people from buying a beamspring. We want others in the game, even though it will raise board prices in the process. No xwhatsit should ever cost north of 30 bucks (that's nucking futs). Mis dos pesos

EDIT: I'm going to want a few solenoid drivers just to test with for the optional solenoid we will have in the MF project once metal cases are in the works. We will ultimately find a solenoid supplier for those lacking in their beamsprings as well. It's a fun useless novelty that should be loved
Last edited by lot_lizard on 27 Aug 2016, 03:30, edited 1 time in total.

sethbc

27 Aug 2016, 02:55

I'd be in for a solenoid.

atrere

27 Aug 2016, 04:51

I'm in for a controller. I'd sell all the keyboards I own for a beamspring. Screw being polite and practical, the feel is incredible!

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

27 Aug 2016, 08:26

I am also in for two solenoid drivers and three controllers.
Last edited by hypkx on 01 Nov 2016, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

Scottex

27 Aug 2016, 17:31

controller + solenoid here

idollar
i$

27 Aug 2016, 18:23

We need this ... controllers and solenoids at a reasonable price. GO !

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

28 Aug 2016, 03:08

Great to see another go at this.

vsev

28 Aug 2016, 09:43

I'm in too !

Halvar

28 Aug 2016, 22:11

Oh yes please!

Dra

29 Aug 2016, 02:48

Hell yeah, I'm definitely in

romevi

30 Aug 2016, 15:03

Intredasted.

derzemel

06 Sep 2016, 13:41

Wodan, I think you should post this on r/mk and on GH too, maybe we will get more people interested

Wodan
ISO Advocate

06 Sep 2016, 14:10

I spent too little time there to actively maintain an IC there. Once we start taking orders, I will include those communities as well for sure :)

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

10 Sep 2016, 16:44

derzemel wrote: Wodan, I think you should post this on r/mk and on GH too, maybe we will get more people interested
When I last took interest on these, there was very little interest from Geekhack, I only had 3 or 4 interested, and the rest from Deskthority. Vintage and buckling spring interest there has slowed to a crawl.

Vizir

18 Sep 2016, 16:50

Count me in for 1 board at least and a couple of solenoid controllers too.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

y11971alex

17 Oct 2016, 02:36

vivalarevolución wrote:
derzemel wrote: Wodan, I think you should post this on r/mk and on GH too, maybe we will get more people interested
When I last took interest on these, there was very little interest from Geekhack, I only had 3 or 4 interested, and the rest from Deskthority. Vintage and buckling spring interest there has slowed to a crawl.
I think interest is conjoined there and here. I just happened to find this GB here. :p

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

17 Oct 2016, 07:20

I would now also be interested in a solenoid driver, any update on that IC?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

17 Oct 2016, 09:04

The mastermind behind the whole idea, lot_lizard, is currently burried in work. Once he's got time for fun stuff again, this project will not be the first in line. This means we're not in a hurry here and I want to do this GB 100%. This will largely be non-profit during the GB phase and small-profit only in the leftovers/retail phase. Keep following this thread and you will not miss the GB but so far there is no GB date set yet.

Scottex

18 Oct 2016, 09:14

Wodan wrote: The mastermind behind the whole idea, lot_lizard, is currently burried in work. Once he's got time for fun stuff again, this project will not be the first in line. This means we're not in a hurry here and I want to do this GB 100%. This will largely be non-profit during the GB phase and small-profit only in the leftovers/retail phase. Keep following this thread and you will not miss the GB but so far there is no GB date set yet.
well, at least there is hope :)

Wodan
ISO Advocate

18 Oct 2016, 09:17

There's more than hope. If I want something, I must make it happen for my personal peace of mind.

And I kinda want a selenoid driver ...

alh84001
v.001

18 Oct 2016, 09:33

I know orihalcon has some solenoid drivers available.

Return to “Group buys”