Leopold FC980M/C (G80-1800 layout Topre!)

Topre Enthusiast

06 Sep 2016, 09:17

derzemel

06 Sep 2016, 09:56

OMG!!! want!!! badly!!! hnnnnngg!!!!

ok, reddit way of talking out of the way... 1800 is my favorite layout (working on the plans for a custom as we speak) and adding Topre to it is the best thing I can imagine.

But, as there is always a "but", this is not a classic 1800 layout.
The fact that they added Print Screen, Pause, Scroll Lock, Home, End as FN commands is brilliant as it makes the keyboard even more compact.
Why don't Leopold add media control on their keyboards? those are the only things missing from the FC660C to be perfect.
I do not like the positioning and the size of the FN keycap.
I am also not convinced by the use of a full sized + key on the numpad

Topre Enthusiast

06 Sep 2016, 10:06

I wonder why they didn't go with similar font and legends that they used on the FC660C...
It looks like they have re-used a lot of Realforce's crappy legend caps like for 'Backspace' and 'Enter' keys. They looked much nicer on the FC660C IMO.

derzemel

06 Sep 2016, 12:13

yes, I agree with the crappy legends part

IKSLM

06 Sep 2016, 14:50

Will there be a "normal - full size 105/108 key" layout version?

derzemel

06 Sep 2016, 14:59

IKSLM wrote: Will there be a "normal - full size 105/108 key" layout version?
you mean if Leopold will make a Topre full-size keyboard?
I do not see the reason for it as long as there are these keyboards available: Topre TypeHeaven, Realforce 104U, 105U, 106U and Ducky 104UB

If you are reffering to the Cherry switch models, then Leopold makes the FC900R

IKSLM

06 Sep 2016, 15:29

I'm referring to a full-size Leopold Topre. And i also forgot to add the ISO layout.

Is there any full size ISO topre/capacitive keyboard (besides the 105 topre version)?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

06 Sep 2016, 22:17

I like it, a lot. This one will cost me an arm and a leg. :x Thanks for sharing 002! For anyone who doesn't know, Leopold keyboards match or possibly exceed Topre build quality.

Elrick

07 Sep 2016, 02:48

seebart wrote: I like it, a lot. This one will cost me an arm and a leg. :x Thanks for sharing 002! For anyone who doesn't know, Leopold keyboards match or possibly exceed Topre build quality.
Don't exaggerate about the cost because money always comes in constantly hence it's worth the purchase price, no matter what it will be.

Besides it's the high cost keyboards that are of better quality, compared to the cheapo garbage coming out of PRC.

seebart

07 Sep 2016, 14:16

Elrick wrote: Besides it's the high cost keyboards that are of better quality, compared to the cheapo garbage coming out of PRC.
Leopold is about as far away from "PRC cheapo garbage" as you can get.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

10 Sep 2016, 15:40

Wow, very interesting. Yet another choice on the market for Topre lovers.

TuxKey
LLAP

10 Sep 2016, 18:11

i agree with derzemel.. nothing wrong with the FC660C..

The only way to improve it in my humble opinion is to use the layout an other community
member build himself.. i have yet to see a better layout that soots me..

All default size keycaps , so no more hassle with short shift and all the extra keys
to prevent those OCD types that don’t like unused dead space..
the layout Leopold should consider.
the layout Leopold should consider.
75_Keyboard_Layout_richfiles.png (61.69 KiB) Viewed 9135 times
having said that i still like reading Leopold news so at least that's something :D :geek:

Elrick

12 Sep 2016, 04:05

seebart wrote:
Elrick wrote: Besides it's the high cost keyboards that are of better quality, compared to the cheapo garbage coming out of PRC.
Leopold is about as far away from "PRC cheapo garbage" as you can get.
Who said this keyboard was from PRC to begin with? Leopold's are known to be of higher quality due to being made in Korea or Taiwan.

Don't have any Leopold's in my possession, only gained from what others have said on GH and here.

cswanic

12 Sep 2016, 04:38

Man if someone would produce a full metal jacket for this keyboard when it comes out. Still salty I can't get the TKL metal case that ran years ago/ :ugeek:

_PixelNinja

14 Sep 2016, 19:33

Elrick wrote: Who said this keyboard was from PRC to begin with? Leopold's are known to be of higher quality due to being made in Korea or Taiwan.
For what it's worth the FC660C is made in China.

andrewjoy

14 Sep 2016, 22:35

That thing is crying out for some MX mount goodness.

seebart

14 Sep 2016, 22:40

andrewjoy wrote: That thing is crying out for some MX mount goodness.
Nope I want the beige Topre version. I'll have to import it and that will cost me a billiontrillion. :x

Elrick

15 Sep 2016, 08:26

_PixelNinja wrote:
Elrick wrote: For what it's worth the FC660C is made in China.
The FC660C isn't a real keyboard to begin with :mrgreen: .

andrewjoy

15 Sep 2016, 12:19

seebart wrote:
Nope I want the beige Topre version. I'll have to import it and that will cost me a billiontrillion. :x
I have to admit it is nice, if only they could UNIX'ify it a bit and split that backspace , and sort out the mess that is the bottom row.

derzemel

15 Sep 2016, 12:43

andrewjoy wrote:
seebart wrote:
I have to admit it is nice, if only they could UNIX'ify it a bit and split that backspace , and sort out the mess that is the bottom row.
and add media controlls and change that big numpad Plus to a 1U keycap

vsev

14 Oct 2016, 10:30

And F***in' ISO too ! :(

Elrick

08 Dec 2016, 02:31

Couldn't resist this keyboard anymore, like an addicted Meth-head I laid down the moolah for this baby.

How could you pass up an 1800 series layout, done entirely in Thorpes.......?

Return to “News”