[IC] First Ever Devlin Q-Series keyset voting!

Bob

16 Aug 2016, 02:10

duynguyenle wrote: Hi Bob,

I don't remember what model exactly, it belonged to my old teacher, we get to use it if you forget your calculator at home, it was quite basic and didn't have all the modern functions (trigonometry and such), so no one wanted to use it. It was some old soviet era calculator, but it looked similar to this:
Wow what a beast! Thanks for posting. I can see why you thought of this calculator when you saw the z-series caps :D

yorktronic

16 Aug 2016, 21:09

Code: Select all

Terminal terminal terminal!

duynguyenle

17 Aug 2016, 01:59

yorktronic wrote:

Code: Select all

Terminal terminal terminal!
You know Joe, after the Skidata round, I wouldn't mind if you do a run for the Terminal colourway :lol:

MaNiFeX

18 Aug 2016, 20:38

I'm definitely interested in either RAd-away or Skidata!

duynguyenle

18 Aug 2016, 21:28

MaNiFeX wrote: I'm definitely interested in either RAd-away or Skidata!
Looks like you're in luck, both of them are running (Skidata will run as a full set and Radaway is running a Plank kit only) :lol:

Bob

19 Aug 2016, 06:19

duynguyenle wrote:
Looks like you're in luck, both of them are running (Skidata will run as a full set and Radaway is running a Plank kit only) :lol:
No mixing and matching, though! Skidata is going to be Q-series and Rad-Away is planned to be K-series. Choose wisely ;)

salasource

06 Sep 2016, 13:10

Any updates?

UKKeycaps

06 Sep 2016, 23:46

Devlin have a policy of answering only one email per month :D

Just kidding, I'll push them for more info.

Bob

07 Sep 2016, 02:48

UKKeycaps wrote: Devlin have a policy of answering only one email per month :D

Seems too likely to joke about, they sure seem to play hard to get :lol:

niomosy

08 Sep 2016, 06:07

Bob wrote:
UKKeycaps wrote: Devlin have a policy of answering only one email per month :D

Seems too likely to joke about, they sure seem to play hard to get :lol:
Look, doing things like answering emails may well lead to even more work. You've got to be careful with those kinds of things :D

Bob

13 Sep 2016, 04:42

Ugh!! The anticipation is killing me! You've gotta give us something. Any chance of putting up renders for K-Series Rad-Away on your site? ;)

Also curious, is Q-Series Ski-Data being run only as a 60% as the render on Mechsupply suggests, or will it have the option for TKL and full 104 key layouts?

jebbra

21 Sep 2016, 15:11

Rad-away planck with orange low-rise will be nice. And for the Z, I'm thinking about two gray tone (Granite-like) with blue and red low-rise.

21 Sep 2016, 17:55

Rad Away - looks amazing!

Moses Williams

25 Sep 2016, 17:59

Sooooooo.....whats up with this buy?

UKKeycaps

25 Sep 2016, 19:06

Still working it out with Devlin, hopefully soon. All depends on how fast they decide to answer queries.

mecano

26 Sep 2016, 22:39

duynguyenle wrote:
UKKeycaps wrote: They can't double-shot the Cherry/DCS like profile so I won't be offering it.

The Z-series are quite unique, here is a render from the Devlin website:

Ah I see, looks very different. Reminds me of an old calculator I used to use at school.

I have a concern though, on your website, the item page for the upcoming Skidata set lists the buy as being limited to 100 sets, should I place a preorder? Seems like 100 sets will go pretty quick :lol:
Look like the Siemens caps on the late Chyros review review-f45/siemens-k1197-review-siemens ... 14657.html

Moses Williams

27 Sep 2016, 16:00

UKKeycaps wrote: Still working it out with Devlin, hopefully soon. All depends on how fast they decide to answer queries.
Thanks for the update

UKKeycaps

27 Sep 2016, 19:01

mecano wrote:
duynguyenle wrote:
UKKeycaps wrote: They can't double-shot the Cherry/DCS like profile so I won't be offering it.

The Z-series are quite unique, here is a render from the Devlin website:

Ah I see, looks very different. Reminds me of an old calculator I used to use at school.

I have a concern though, on your website, the item page for the upcoming Skidata set lists the buy as being limited to 100 sets, should I place a preorder? Seems like 100 sets will go pretty quick :lol:
Look like the Siemens caps on the late Chyros review review-f45/siemens-k1197-review-siemens ... 14657.html
Based on the font, I can say with 95% certainty that the caps in that video are Z-Series.

OleVoip

28 Sep 2016, 19:03

UKKeycaps wrote: Based on the font, I can say with 95% certainty that the caps in that video are Z-Series
The font on the caps in the video is the font defined in the German standard DIN 1451:1951, which is what Siemens used for doubleshot caps until the late 1980s / early 90s. The zylindrical part of the keycaps is slightly elliptical as exactly is described in a (withdrawn) Siemens patent from 1979, whereas the Devlin ones seem to be perfectly round. The colours are the well-known shades of taupe, beige (for function keys) and green (for cursor keys) that are typical for Siemens keycaps of that era. The cap mount is RAFI-like, not Cherry MX. So it is not much likely that Devlin, this little Hampshire company, incorporated in 2011, made these keycaps for a keyboard made before 1990 by big Siemens, a trust that ran its own caps production, the original moulds of which are known to be in Berlin.
Hence, I've got a hundred percent confidence that these aren't Devlin caps.
Last edited by OleVoip on 28 Sep 2016, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.

UKKeycaps

28 Sep 2016, 19:10

There was a 5% chance I was wrong!

Bob

30 Sep 2016, 01:54

Seems like an easy mistake to make though - Devlin seem to be so secretive that there's no telling what mounts they produce caps for.

You need to bust Devlin right open and have them offering up information to the level that Signature Plastics do... for the good of the community :D

I am seriously interested in what legends/keys they have double shot molds for, particularly if there's anything non-standard they can produce which they have molds for from previous commissions.

mecano

30 Sep 2016, 08:44

Wow thanks OleVoip for such detailed explanation, at a stage I thought Devlin may have acquired the molds. So they are sleeping in Berlin, interresting.

Hypocaffeinic

05 Oct 2016, 09:53

duynguyenle wrote:
I'd be in to grab both, though it would be fantastic if Rad were available as a full set in the future. :mrgreen:

UKKeycaps

12 Oct 2016, 19:22

Ok this is gonna start soon :D

Turbodruk

12 Oct 2016, 22:45

hype hype hype

Bob

13 Oct 2016, 00:32

Best news I've gotten all week! So Skidata says coming this week, but Rad-Away is still just "coming soon" how far apart are you planning to run these group buys?

UKKeycaps

13 Oct 2016, 19:43

They'll run concurrently!

Bob

14 Oct 2016, 00:40

Ooooh! Thanks :D

geostation

14 Oct 2016, 07:39

Bob wrote:
duynguyenle wrote:
No mixing and matching, though! Skidata is going to be Q-series and Rad-Away is planned to be K-series. Choose wisely ;)
whats the difference between the two series ?

jebbra

15 Oct 2016, 01:28

Some of my friend are wanted these too. How much set a person can buy?

Return to “Group buys”