Korean Replacement Domes for Topre Keyboards

Wingpad

03 Oct 2016, 01:12

In the past, one would have to gut an entire keyboard to change the weight of the domes in their HHKB. Now, however, it seems like there is an alternative. There are replacement domes available on eBay here in several weights, does anyone have any experience with these? I would like to upgrade my HHKB to 55g so I went ahead and ordered one... I'll make sure to post a review once I get it in.

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Oct 2016, 01:28

Maybe only compatible with the Hansung as listed in their store?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Keyboards-Mice- ... 004&_sac=1

Wingpad

03 Oct 2016, 03:50

webwit wrote: Maybe only compatible with the Hansung as listed in their store?
You can cut them to fit any board hence the D.I.Y. bit.

Topre Enthusiast

03 Oct 2016, 04:18

You probably could but it would be a pain in the arse if you had to cut each dome individually if the key pitch was different to Topre. Topre pitch is 19.05mm IIRC.

chiptea

03 Oct 2016, 07:29

This would actually be great to refresh the tired old domes on my Nissho. I'll wait around to see if anyone else has done it, however, since I'd not be too keen on cutting every individual dome either.

mecano

03 Oct 2016, 15:47

Have a look at old Commodores which feature individual domes, not sure about compatibility but maybe an interesting path to harvest parts for cheap or even design ideas.

Laser
emacs -nw

03 Oct 2016, 17:29

I kinda forsee, in one-two years, we'll have strange "better" electrostatic capacitive combinations between Topre parts and their clones, in the same manner we have "Ergo Clears" and "Panda Clears" switches made from one type of MX stem and the spring from another :)

If the patents aren't careful enough to forbid compatible stuff, of course.

Findecanor

03 Oct 2016, 18:04

mecano wrote: Have a look at old Commodores which feature individual domes, not sure about compatibility but maybe an interesting path to harvest parts for cheap or even design ideas.
A regular rubber dome has a rubber knob at the bottom that is used to close the circuit: either by pressing two membranes together or being of conductive rubber to close a circuit on a membrane or PCB. It is because of this knob that regular rubber dome switches have a mushy feeling when bottoming out.
The thing with Topre's domes is that they don't have these knobs at the bottom - and that is one of the things that makes them so much nicer to type on. The interior of the dome should also match the size and shape of the conical spring. The presence of a knob is also likely to interfere with the spring as the space in the centre is relatively small compared to most knobs.

The tactile "Mitsumi hybrid switch" used on some Commodore Amiga keyboards has buckling rubber sleeves around the key stem right under the keycap - which is not the same thing at all. The linear versions of the switch has coiled springs.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

06 Oct 2016, 05:19

These should work with Noppoo, Royal Kludge and Plum capacitive boards by the looks of it. Fascinating! I may just order in a set of 45g domes for my Noppoo board.

Zombimuncha

06 Oct 2016, 10:28

Interesting. If this works out it may persuade me to pony up for a Plum84.

andrewjoy

06 Oct 2016, 12:22

tempted to get a set of 55g for my novatouch but no point in opening it twice . will wait till i get my dampening rings

Thumper
knock knock

06 Oct 2016, 12:57

Ordered a set (35g) for my HHKB, lets see if it fits.
Somehow i cant get used to heavy switches.

Wingpad

14 Oct 2016, 04:27

So my 55g rubber domes came in - they're the same shape as the topre domes and fit right in. You have to cut the sheet to make it fit into an HHKB but you can make it happen fairly easily. That being said, these replacements domes are a great way to make a $250 board feel like a $5 rubber dome. It's really quite disappointing. They feel just as smooth as normal Topre switches but you can feel that the domes are made of a lesser material and that they're "thinner" (which makes the board a lot louder).

chiptea

14 Oct 2016, 07:18

Ouch, that sucks. Well, I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Wingpad

16 Oct 2016, 01:21

chiptea wrote: Ouch, that sucks. Well, I guess it's back to the drawing board.
Yeah, for sure. I really don't want to spend $250 on a 55g RealForce just to harvest its domes... Topre really needs to start sellling domes on their own.

Elrick

16 Oct 2016, 03:08

Wingpad wrote: Topre really needs to start sellling domes on their own.
Then who will buy their keyboards?

Thumper
knock knock

18 Oct 2016, 11:52

Just got my 35g ones and modded my HHKB. Images: https://imgur.com/a/wnmCZ

Im still Not sure whether I like it or not, although it feels lighter - 35g to 45g makes sense - it feels kinda cheap, as the bump isn't that pronounced.

Wingpad

18 Oct 2016, 15:09

Thumper wrote: Just got my 35g ones and modded my HHKB. Images: https://imgur.com/a/wnmCZ

Im still Not sure whether I like it or not, although it feels lighter - 35g to 45g makes sense - it feels kinda cheap, as the bump isn't that pronounced.
Yeah, is it just me or is bottoming out more pronounced as well? It seems like I'm hitting the PCB without anything in between it and the slider.

Thumper
knock knock

18 Oct 2016, 15:22

Wingpad wrote:
Thumper wrote: Just got my 35g ones and modded my HHKB. Images: https://imgur.com/a/wnmCZ

Yeah, is it just me or is bottoming out more pronounced as well? It seems like I'm hitting the PCB without anything in between it and the slider.
Same feeling here.

cookie

18 Oct 2016, 15:29

I think I will grab one too as replacement domes for my beloved Pro1, even though I like the stiffened domes on it very much. Feels like a 55g Topre Domes.

attheicearcade

21 Oct 2016, 19:51

Wingpad wrote:

Copying my comment from geekhack:
I think this is because the replacement domes have holes cut out on the diagonal - below where the legs of the slider are. They usually are stopped by the rubber sheet when the key is pressed. With those cutouts, maybe the slider leg is going past the sheet and hitting the PCB, or the travel is increased far enough for the keycap to hit the plate.

Thumper
knock knock

21 Oct 2016, 20:34

attheicearcade wrote:
Wingpad wrote:

Copying my comment from geekhack:
I think this is because the replacement domes have holes cut out on the diagonal - below where the legs of the slider are. They usually are stopped by the rubber sheet when the key is pressed. With those cutouts, maybe the slider leg is going past the sheet and hitting the PCB, or the travel is increased far enough for the keycap to hit the plate.
My Cherry profile keycaps are loud as hell, they hit the case for sure. I can test it with OEM profile later.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

21 Oct 2016, 22:04

I've got a 55g set for my Noppoo EC108 on the way.

I'm embarrassed to say that one of my daily drivers these days is a 55g RC930 with lubricated sliders and double shot PBT caps (the same ones that come on my Hall effect boards). It works great!

chiptea

22 Oct 2016, 22:25

XMIT wrote: I've got a 55g set for my Noppoo EC108 on the way.

I'm embarrassed to say that one of my daily drivers these days is a 55g RC930 with lubricated sliders and double shot PBT caps (the same ones that come on my Hall effect boards). It works great!

Hmm. Do the domes feel cheap like others mentioned? Have you ever used genuine 55g topre so you could compare?

cookie

24 Oct 2016, 09:17

Ohh boy, that sounds very disappointing, I've already ordered 35g domes form my pro1 but from what I read, I will go back to the stock domes in a heartbeat.

chiptea

25 Oct 2016, 00:54

cookie wrote: Ohh boy, that sounds very disappointing, I've already ordered 35g domes form my pro1 but from what I read, I will go back to the stock domes in a heartbeat.
Please report back with your findings cookie. I still haven't lost all hope.

Laser
emacs -nw

25 Oct 2016, 12:16

Guys, I have a feeling not all of you use the same weights - why not create an exchange thread instead for Topre domes/springs?

cookie

25 Oct 2016, 13:36

chiptea wrote:
cookie wrote: Ohh boy, that sounds very disappointing, I've already ordered 35g domes form my pro1 but from what I read, I will go back to the stock domes in a heartbeat.
Please report back with your findings cookie. I still haven't lost all hope.
I will keep you guys updated but the cutouts which make the slider hit the pcb instead the silicone sheet is a real downer.
I just want to try a lighter dome sheet but keep the nice 'thok' sound :(

Laser
emacs -nw

25 Oct 2016, 15:37

Can't one simply cover the cutouts? Some foam, plastic or rubber sheet, covering the whole PCB, with holes at the places where the domes stick out?

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

25 Oct 2016, 16:17

The new 55g domes are not here yet but my 55g RC930 feels much more like a 45g than a 55g Topre board. I have all three, yes.

Return to “Keyboards”