[IC] HADapter Round II (Pok3rFox, Diamonds, Splitkit) <= PRICES

For which Layout would you like to see the next HADapter kit?

WhiteFox (Focus on TrueFox)
28%
OLKB Planck/Preonic (See OP for layout)
19%
Pok3r (Mostly PN/FN mods)
43%
JD40/45like non-ortholinear 40% layouts
10%

Total votes: 134

ideus

19 Oct 2016, 23:22

Of course.

duynguyenle

20 Oct 2016, 03:18

Wodan wrote: Silence, peasants!!!

:lol:

Really getting into the mood for a new HADapter round. Anyone else hyped? Wanna make some kits...
Hype goes to 11! :lol:

Shihatsu

20 Oct 2016, 09:51

Nope, not at all, keep your greasy fingers out of my wallet please, wife is getting angry...

a crap, GO ON! Cant wait!

geniekid

25 Oct 2016, 17:56

Wodan wrote:
Prelim wrote: any chance for Dolch HADap?
No, Dolch is far too rare and expensive to sell 150 adapters. I'd be surprised to find 150 Dolch owners in the GH/DT community and they still had to buy one set each. I haven't seen a Dolch on German Ebay since I started scanning it for keyboards but theres probably been like 100 HAD sets in the same period. This might be more of a SP Adapter GB set with a MOQ of 25 in DCS profile. I actually believe that did happen a while ago, long before my time though.
Dolch HADditionals could be pretty popular though. There's a lot of GMK Dolch sets out there and I don't think any of them have support for HHKB, WhiteFox, etc.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

25 Oct 2016, 18:11

A German keyboard community is just putting together a GMK Dolch GB with all-German layout/legends. This will cover many layouts ... but can only happen because Dolch is a novelty on the German market otherwise an adapter kit would be the better solution.

Since I have zero Dolch keycap sets, I also have no need to design an adapter kit .. that's the motivation I need to invest my time into this and design some nice kits. I wouldn't really know what I'm doing unless I owned a few Dolch kits and knew what layouts gave me issues ...

kbdfr
The Tiproman

25 Oct 2016, 18:39

Wodan wrote: A German keyboard community is just putting together a GMK Dolch GB with all-German layout/legends. […]
https://www.computerbase.de/forum/showt ... ?t=1601148

Prelim

25 Oct 2016, 20:35

Where's the Dolch HADapter? I only see the "Esc/ISO enter/Spacebar" kit :/

Rimrul

25 Oct 2016, 20:37

Prelim

25 Oct 2016, 20:40

but the only choices are "base kit", "Esc/ISO enter/Spacebar" and "blank alphas" :(

Rimrul

25 Oct 2016, 20:41

Aka HADapter, Esc/ISO Enter/Spacebar and blank alphas.

Prelim

25 Oct 2016, 20:43

?! base kit AKA "entire set" duh

an HADapter is basically a moogle kit:

Rimrul

25 Oct 2016, 20:51

I know HADapter R1.
Wodan wrote: Dolch is a novelty on the German market
Wodan wrote: Since I have zero Dolch keycap sets, I also have no need to design an adapter kit .. that's the motivation I need to invest my time into this and design some nice kits. I wouldn't really know what I'm doing unless I owned a few Dolch kits and knew what layouts gave me issues ...
Wodan wrote:
Prelim wrote: any chance for Dolch HADap?
No, Dolch is far too rare and expensive to sell 150 adapters. I'd be surprised to find 150 Dolch owners in the GH/DT community and they still had to buy one set each.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

26 Oct 2016, 09:14

Prelim wrote: […] an HADapter is basically a moogle kit […]
You seem to have missed the pun contained in the name Wodan gave to the set he created and made a group buy for.
HAD is the code used by Cherry for their keyboards with MX blacks and classic beige doubleshot German keycaps,
which for years were sort of a standard and for that reason are not really rare but still quite easy to find,
and Wodan designed his set as an adapter completing those rather common caps for use with modern keyboards.

So there's not "an HADapter" as a generic designation.

Rimrul already posted Wodan's answers to why he is not going to make a Dolch adapter set.
I would like to add that Wodan's group buy was special in that he did not collect money and then had the caps manufactured,
but financed the whole thing upfront :!: .
I think he cannot be blamed for not taking the risk of not meeting the MOQ for a Dolch adapter set.

Speaking about Dolch, I would like to seize the opportunity for a link of a more lingustic kind :lol:

Prelim

26 Oct 2016, 09:37

sure I understand @Wodan perspective on Dolch MOQ, although I'm not sure if it's right. I know he made the prior GB at his entire risk and I also help him a lot (I got a chinese buyer for a large quantity of packs).

/no more questions asked! lol

Wodan
ISO Advocate

26 Oct 2016, 10:35

The whole financing thing was something I did for myself, it shouldn't affect my kit design or choice of color schemes much. I am just very uncomfortable taking and holding many people's money for such a long time and was looking for a very fast way to "release" me from the obligation to deliver what people paid for.

No matter how I ran the GB, I wouldn't run GBs for the profit ever. The reason to run a GB for me is because I personally want those keys, too. Doing a GB for a kit that I have personally no use for feels a lot more like a paid job for me and much less like something I do as a part of my hobby. I really wish I had some nice WOB or Dolche sets that needed some adaptering but it's not the case. I hope I don't sound too egocentric here but maybe this explains a little why other color schemes seem less appealing to me.

There are also two GBs running with a Dolch-like theme (Sky-Dolch and Dolch-Reborn) which will hopefully flood the second hand market with tons of leftover keys that can be used to create adapter kits.

Prelim

26 Oct 2016, 14:08

someone just send this gift to @Wodan! ;)

ideus

26 Oct 2016, 14:39

Wodan wrote: The whole financing thing was something I did for myself, it shouldn't affect my kit design or choice of color schemes much. I am just very uncomfortable taking and holding many people's money for such a long time and was looking for a very fast way to "release" me from the obligation to deliver what people paid for.

No matter how I ran the GB, I wouldn't run GBs for the profit ever. The reason to run a GB for me is because I personally want those keys, too. Doing a GB for a kit that I have personally no use for feels a lot more like a paid job for me and much less like something I do as a part of my hobby. I really wish I had some nice WOB or Dolche sets that needed some adaptering but it's not the case. I hope I don't sound too egocentric here but maybe this explains a little why other color schemes seem less appealing to me.

There are also two GBs running with a Dolch-like theme (Sky-Dolch and Dolch-Reborn) which will hopefully flood the second hand market with tons of leftover keys that can be used to create adapter kits.
The logic is sound, from the perspective of an user and a collector. Truth be told, with HADapter and HADittionals I really got what I needed for my keyboards at a very fair price, I found this kind of buys what we stud for as a keyboard aficionados community, and I really encourage you to keep on it.

However, there are a few fellows that prefer to go the profiting route, that I think is a bit off of the hobby concept; even then, most of them have their share of people that are willing to pay premiums for what they want, which is a shame, otherwise, they should tend to disappear.

Veged

07 Nov 2016, 16:07

Dunno if I missed it but: Is there a chance for a K70-like bottom row?
Basically I'm looking for a 6.5 Spacebar and Alts 1.25 :)

Thanks for doing this. Looking forward to the next round.

duynguyenle

10 Nov 2016, 00:39

Veged wrote: Dunno if I missed it but: Is there a chance for a K70-like bottom row?
Basically I'm looking for a 6.5 Spacebar and Alts 1.25 :)

Thanks for doing this. Looking forward to the next round.
GMK does not have 6.5u moulds. 1.25u Alt modifiers are already included in the base HADapter kit and will also be in R2.

I suggest getting a new keyboard with standard bottom row layout if you are at all interested in using aftermarket keycaps.

ideus

16 Nov 2016, 17:10

Any news on this?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

16 Nov 2016, 17:12

Yuuuup this is still VERY happening. I'm just completely BROKE right now and it will not get any better until Jan/Feb.

Expect kit finalization during Jan 2017 and GB start in early-mid Feb 2017.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

16 Nov 2016, 17:24

Wodan wrote: […] I'm just completely BROKE right now […]
:oops: :mrgreen:

ideus

16 Nov 2016, 22:30

Alright! Great timing; worth waiting.

Laser
emacs -nw

16 Nov 2016, 23:12

Wait, I thought people organize groupbuys *because* they're broke! :?
How else would one convince people here to send money :mrgreen:

ideus

16 Nov 2016, 23:32

Not Wodan, he paid the last buy upfront with his own money.

Laser
emacs -nw

16 Nov 2016, 23:43

ideus wrote: Not Wodan, he paid the last buy upfront with his own money.
I know, I know, I was merely joking :)

complex

06 Dec 2016, 17:38

Can't wait for this set! Is february still the expected date for it to go live?

Wodan
ISO Advocate

06 Dec 2016, 17:40

Yuubin

27 Dec 2016, 22:47

Wodan, thanks for planning/organizing this GB.

I'd buy 2 x HADap (base) Kits and 2 x Diamond Kits...

ideus

03 Jan 2017, 18:37

Have the kits for the second round been defined yet?

Return to “Group buys”