Unicomp Model M review (buckling springs)

Chyros

05 Nov 2016, 13:04

After many requests, here it is; a review of the Unicomp Model M. Hope you enjoy the video! :)

amospalla
let's go

05 Nov 2016, 13:27

As always a joy to see your video.

Ir0n

05 Nov 2016, 13:29

I love your videos! I always learn something.

wobbled

05 Nov 2016, 22:47

Legendary voice

emdude
Model M Apologist

05 Nov 2016, 23:28

Interesting that your Unicomp has one-piece caps. Like andrewjoy, I thought they only did two-piece caps (aside from the usual wide/spacebar keys).

wobbled

05 Nov 2016, 23:53

emdude wrote: Interesting that your Unicomp has one-piece caps. Like andrewjoy, I thought they only did two-piece caps (aside from the usual wide/spacebar keys).
Yeh the two unicomps that I've bought in the past have both had two piece caps. Perhaps the original owner of the board asked for one piece caps as a customization option.

dokyun

06 Nov 2016, 05:24

My 08' Unicomp is one-piece. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a cost cutting measure rolled out whenever conditions dictate saving a few cents on the bill of materials. You may recall the American economy was, uh, not very hot around 08 and 09...

Pleased nonetheless by this review, I always thought Unicomp gets an unfair rap most of the time, they're really a great value for the money. The keycaps alone for a Realforce cost as much as a standard new Unicomp and you still get PBT caps on it!

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

06 Nov 2016, 11:16

I like onepiece IBM keycaps more than twopiece, the onepiece keycaps have in my opinion a better feeling current typing.

Elrick

06 Nov 2016, 13:21

Chyros wrote: After many requests, here it is; a review of the Unicomp Model M. Hope you enjoy the video! :)
A very honest and decent review Chyros, much appreciated 8-) .

We all need some more Buckling Spring Love here on DT Central.

Chyros

06 Nov 2016, 13:36

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed the video :) .

Elrick

07 Nov 2016, 01:20

Chyros wrote: Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed the video :) .
You are the one that turned my attention away from the Cherry sickness which has infected the whole world. Now I'm eager to try out any type of keyboard with any type of switch.

It's all down to you. Thanks for opening my tired old eyes to see other amazing examples of keyboards using uncommon switches.

Also my wife loves your voice, she says it's dreamy every time you explain how a switch works :wink: .

Cattus_D

04 Dec 2016, 21:11

Thanks! I only saw this just now - have always been curious about the Unicomp Model Ms.

mikefromsac

06 Dec 2016, 04:07

Your review has put this on my short-list for a future buy, thanks!

Return to “Reviews”