kbdfr
The Tiproman

20 Nov 2016, 21:36

92u wrote: hey men, wen will i get added 2 sugestionz

i rely hyped
I'm not sure you have understood what the *Ping* Award is :lol:
ohaimark wrote: […]
Nomination rules:
Use this category to name the worst keyboard or input device related experience after Thursday 3 December, 2015. Anything goes. You must provide a short explanation for each suggestion. This category is named after the infamous Summer of Ping. […]

92u

20 Nov 2016, 21:38

i am input devise i input letters in deskthority

))

lot_lizard

20 Nov 2016, 21:39

Sweet... I'm just excited that I finally have an excuse to try this "Foe" feature out. Thank you for that.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

20 Nov 2016, 21:44

92u wrote: i am input devise i input letters in deskthority

))
62289623.jpg
62289623.jpg (74.2 KiB) Viewed 14389 times

PollandAkuma

20 Nov 2016, 22:18

davkol wrote:I'd like to nominate the user berserkfan for his majestic scam sale.
how could a berserk fan do this >:( he's not a true berserk fan!

ohaimark
Kingpin

20 Nov 2016, 22:27

I dunno... If you're Gatts you wouldn't do something like that. But if you're Griffith? Awh heck yeah. You'd lie, cheat, and be a jerk in a heartbeat.

tentator

21 Nov 2016, 00:08

the Fold2000!!!! I owned one and I know what I'm talking about.... teerrriiblleeee, how even to think about doingo something like that? Just buy a 5$ rubberdome per week if needed..

Hking0036

21 Nov 2016, 01:14

I just realized that MX Silvers are a thing. Who looked at MX Reds and said "we need to make the actuation point higher"? Reds already require almost no effort to press and they're trying to reduce the actuation point by half? :lol:
http://www.cherry.de/cid/MX_Technology. ... lver-level

bhtooefr

21 Nov 2016, 02:47

Probably because Razer was advertising higher actuation with their Kailh switches, so Cherry had to compete.

PollandAkuma

21 Nov 2016, 03:37

tentator wrote:the Fold2000!!!! I owned one and I know what I'm talking about.... teerrriiblleeee, how even to think about doingo something like that? Just buy a 5$ rubberdome per week if needed..
lmao why did you even buy it

PollandAkuma

21 Nov 2016, 03:38

ohaimark wrote:I dunno... If you're Gatts you wouldn't do something like that. But if you're Griffith? Awh heck yeah. You'd lie, cheat, and be a jerk in a heartbeat.
i knew it, he was an imposter

Chyros

21 Nov 2016, 04:33

Hking0036 wrote: I just realized that MX Silvers are a thing. Who looked at MX Reds and said "we need to make the actuation point higher"? Reds already require almost no effort to press and they're trying to reduce the actuation point by half? :lol:
http://www.cherry.de/cid/MX_Technology. ... lver-level

Well they must've used a stiffer spring or something, because otherwise the actuation point wouldn't still be on 45 g :p .

Tbh this is actually an innovation I completely understand. I think ALL Cherries should have higher actuation points, it's one of the (many many) things I like about Alps.

Hak Foo

21 Nov 2016, 05:43

A small *ping* suggestion to the i-Rocks Alps-alike switch and board.

You made a new unique switch, and decide to focus mostly on the Lego-style case as a selling point.

You proceeded to market it with an Indiegogo campaign which clearly implied nobody in your organization has English as a first, second, or third language. And you're surprised it only sold like four units that way?

Perhaps it was the right decision, because when it finally showed, it turned to feel and sound NOTHING like an ALPS switch.

Count me as a disappointed backer who dragged out his Tactile Pro again.

andrewjoy

21 Nov 2016, 10:46

Has anyone nominated cherry as a whole yet ? Beacuse cherry !

( clones > cherry now )

cookie

21 Nov 2016, 12:08

I am glad scumbag "Razer" is on the list... well deserved. But I have to check what is going on with Ivanivanovic, never heard of such a scam.

Halvar

21 Nov 2016, 12:44

• IvanIvanovich | For a group buy scam that shocked GeekHack.
Could you please edit this slightly derogatory summary? There's no reason to tag it as a GH problem IMHO. Lysol/IvanIvanovich was an active member of many years also on DT, and also quite an expert on vintage Cherry keyboards. A good part of his interest checks took place on DT, and his GBs had quite a lot of participants from all the community, including DT, Reddit and Asian boards.

scottc

21 Nov 2016, 12:46

Halvar wrote:
  • IvanIvanovich | For a group buy scam that shocked GeekHack.
Could you please edit this slightly derogatory summary? There's no reason to tag it as a GH problem IMHO. Lysol/IvanIvanovich was an active member of many years also on DT, and also quite an expert on vintage Cherry keyboards. A good part of his interest checks took place on DT, and his GBs had quite a lot of participants from all the community, including DT, Reddit and Asian boards.
Definitely agree, there's no need to turn this into a witch hunt. I'd like to think we're above that. The text comes across as a bit sensationalist.

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Nov 2016, 12:54

It wasn't a group buy scam, it didn't shock, and wasn't on GH?

What about this?
IvanIvanovich | For a group buy scam unfortunate miscommunication in financial transactions that shocked that mildly interested GeekHack keyboard people, some of who may or may not visit particular sites.

Halvar

21 Nov 2016, 13:01

IvanIvanovich | For a group buy abscond that shocked the keyboard community.

(I have no problem with "scam" though)

ohaimark
Kingpin

21 Nov 2016, 17:50

I thought that the "abscond" primarily affected GH, as Ivan was a global mod at the time. I went with webwit's post because it preserves the original wording I chose in a snarky manner.

And as to The *Ping* being a witch hunt... This year it was inevitable and fair, to an extent. Some individual users seriously screwed over the community, either maliciously or through raw incompetence.

I'm not afraid of calling things how I see them, and I understand what IvanIvanovich did as a scam. I'm also not afraid to say that berserkfan's sale may have been a scam. At the very least it was a poorly executed mess.

See this for a fairly accurate picture of what went down:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=84178.0

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

21 Nov 2016, 17:54

seebart wrote:
ohaimark wrote: Okay. The reference to memes sold me. Too dank for me.

XMIT should also get a nomination for his self-nominations and the resulting scolding from Mrs. XMIT. :evilgeek: If someone seconds that I'll put it in. :lol:
:o :lol:
[ troll ] The Ping Award is still an award. [ / troll ] :lol:

Though, I'm somewhat offended to be on the same list as some of the others, given my work on the Hall boards and Secret Santa. :evil:

davkol

21 Nov 2016, 17:57

Wait until 7bit arrives and nominates himself for every award as usual. You'll be in good company then.
8-) :ugeek:

ohaimark
Kingpin

21 Nov 2016, 18:12

This category is meant as good fun. There's a bit of anger associated with it this year, so I'll take the tease down if you're truly offended.

I'm leaving the troll up there, though. ;)

kawasaki161

21 Nov 2016, 18:30

I'm nominating iss and his 62/60. A great concept for a keyboard, which sadly was dropped without ANY sort of communication and with two of the pre-production/alpha boards waiting to be shipped.

chuckdee

21 Nov 2016, 18:40

92u | Hes memes r 2 dank foar us.
XMIT | For flouting the rules in DTA6 categories.
I nominate removing these two entries! ;)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

21 Nov 2016, 18:42

chuckdee wrote:
92u | Hes memes r 2 dank foar us.
XMIT | For flouting the rules in DTA6 categories.
I nominate removing these two entries! ;)
Not sure that's a valid nomination, but your attitude is correct. ;) I mean that, no irony.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

21 Nov 2016, 19:05

As always I'll nominate Key Tronic Foam and Foil for being a miserable key switch. It has all the hallmarks of a great switch - featured on many great vintage boards, some with really nice spherical caps, moderate weight linear switches and capacitive sensing. It is ruined by an extremely brittle key cap mount and of course the notorious degrading foam.

Now, they are perfectly possible to repair - Apple Lisa enthusiasts have done this successfully many times:
http://lisa.sunder.net/Lukes_LISA_keyboard_repair.pdf
http://lisafaq.sunder.net/single.html#l ... -kb_repair

But, since I've been disappointed by them so many times - and have shot down so many hopes and dreams on the Great Finds thread by locating the FTxx sticker on many boards - these get the Ping.

Return to “Call for nominees”