Best input device photo

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

21 Nov 2016, 22:51

Maybe next year we could have something like "Best phone camera picture" , not worth a wingnut but just a diploma.

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Nov 2016, 23:06

Winner gets a potato keycap.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

22 Nov 2016, 00:27

lot_lizard wrote: Beardsmore sums it up nicely... I love looking at these. We take great pics here, but should take better ones of our GREAT boards. It's the new stuff that gets all the new nice pics. We don't bother with the GON NerD60, IBM 3279-c, Cherry G81, etc. because we think everyone knows about them already. Occasionally we should just have photo sessions of the greats as owners. Others would appreciate I think. Personally adding a calendar entry for mid-March '17. Not to win anything, but to have the pics out there.
That is quite the coincidence.

If anyone has been wondering why I have been taking pics of regular, run of the mill keyboards, I have been taking some photos of keyboards that need proper pics for the wiki (like this and this) whenever Daniel Beardsmore needs some pics. I figure I'd post them in the forums too so people can see them.

Anyway, just today at 8:20am EST, when I asked about the need for pics on a specific keyboard, Daniel B emailed me this link of Wiki pages that need pictures: wiki/Category:Pages_requiring_illustration That page is a very good indication of what pics are still needed so it will help guide everyone on what's needed.

I encourage everyone to dust off those keyboards and help take some pics and PLEASE don't forget to put them in the wiki too. I find I can put very high resolution pics in the wiki and post links to those pages in the forum for those who don't hit the fabulous wiki often enough.

cookie

22 Nov 2016, 09:48

DanielT wrote:
webwit wrote: The problem is getting into photography is yet another hobby. ;)
And an expensive one too :lol: really don't want to start with that :lol:
How about Fountain-Pens?

Orpheo

22 Nov 2016, 10:15

Could someone nominate me please ^^?

photos-f62/iso-french-dolch-g80-1800-t15056.html

"La Douce Vie"

Orpheo

22 Nov 2016, 10:17

Please nominate me!! I cannot nominate myself...

photos-f62/olivetti-kbd-2812-hbi-t14942.html

"Blue Hotel"

"Fine in the end"

Wodan
ISO Advocate

22 Nov 2016, 10:20

Norbauer hasn't only done an incredible job desining and selling a CNC aluminium case for the latest line of Cooler Master TKL keyboards, he also took some noteworthy pictures for promotion:
group-buys-f50/cnc-aluminium-case-for-c ... 15103.html

This is my nomination picture:

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

22 Nov 2016, 22:32

+1 for Norbauer (he is also the designer of Galaxy Class keyset one of my favorites!)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

23 Nov 2016, 09:15

See nomination rules update. Waiting for your nominations!

Khers

24 Nov 2016, 22:58

Where's Mu when you need him!? Though, maybe it's better with ~10 photos than the 50, or whatever, we had last year...

webwit
Wild Duck

24 Nov 2016, 23:09

If people need inspiration look here:
photos-f62/

seebart

25 Nov 2016, 06:21

Khers wrote: Where's Mu when you need him!? Though, maybe it's better with ~10 photos than the 50, or whatever, we had last year...
Not sure about that, of course we did not have the artyClickClack category last year... :evilgeek:

If I were not running this category I'd have 15-20 pictures to nominate right now. :roll:

Khers

25 Nov 2016, 06:39

seebart wrote:
Khers wrote: Where's Mu when you need him!? Though, maybe it's better with ~10 photos than the 50, or whatever, we had last year...
Not sure about that, of course we did not have the artyClickClack category last year... :evilgeek:

If I were not running this category I'd have 15-20 pictures to nominate right now. :roll:
I don't understand why the dta team can't nominate stuff. It's not as if you would be picking the winners. Why can't you obey the same rules and just avoid self-nominations?

seebart

25 Nov 2016, 06:52

Khers wrote:
seebart wrote:

I don't understand why the dta team can't nominate stuff. It's not as if you would be picking the winners. Why can't you obey the same rules and just avoid self-nominations?
I agree with you, we have had this discussion before and I'm sure it will come up again before the next DTA. There is an argument of "integrity" and "autonomy" here towards keeping the DTA team out of any nomination input though that is valid. I knew this before I signed up to help out with DTA6 so I don't mind, the fact that I won gold last year makes this easier on me too. I'm still not quite sure why this category is slow this year? ohaimark and myself thought it might be due to those new submission rules, what do you think Khers?

Khers

25 Nov 2016, 09:37

For me personally, a lack of time to devote to photo browsing stands between me and my nominees. However, it's Friday today, so I'm hoping to have some spare time to allow me to browse the photo section :D .

As for the general lack of nominees in this category in comparison to previous years, I'm not so certain. However, the fact that you've ruled yourself out of the nomination game and that Mu has got real life stuff to take care of helps. After all, you guys have been the major nomination forces in this category in the two previous DTAs I've been around for. Moreover, I think that the nomination threshold decreases with entries, at a certain point the floodgates will open.

Btw, if you want to increase the nominee count and have links to the 10-15 pics on hand that you would like to nominate, I can browse them and see which ones I like and nominate those :mrgreen: :lol: .

seebart

25 Nov 2016, 09:51

Madhias was dominating this category if I recall, regardless there is no lack of material for nomination:

photos-f62/
Khers wrote: Btw, if you want to increase the nominee count and have links to the 10-15 pics on hand that you would like to nominate, I can browse them and see which ones I like and nominate those :mrgreen: :lol: .
No, that would get me in trouble... :P

Khers

25 Nov 2016, 09:54

seebart wrote: Madhias was dominating this category if I recall, regardless there is no lack of material for nomination:

photos-f62/
Yes, Madhias was the dominant nominee, but you and Mu were the ones who nominated the most pics.
seebart wrote:
Khers wrote: Btw, if you want to increase the nominee count and have links to the 10-15 pics on hand that you would like to nominate, I can browse them and see which ones I like and nominate those :mrgreen: :lol: .
No, then I would get in trouble... :P
Boooooooooooring!

seebart

25 Nov 2016, 09:57

Nominating is easy...winning is hard!

Khers

25 Nov 2016, 09:58

Sure, but look at my comment on the floodgates. Initially the activation energy is high, but it decreases with the number of entries. We've yet to reach that critical number :D

seebart

25 Nov 2016, 10:04

Well it's simply a lack of interest then, I find that hard to believe. I mean people can nominate anything (except their own work) that they want. I don't get it.

Khers

25 Nov 2016, 10:27

Canceled some shit to get this thread moving! Here we go:

Chyros’ keycap science:

Bazh’s shining things:

Crossfire’s Bigfoot:

Khers

25 Nov 2016, 10:28

Ramnes’ Nixies:

Photekq’s smashed IBM box:

While it’s not eligible due to the photographer, I’d like to mention this one as well, which I find rather pleasing for whatever reason:

Khers

25 Nov 2016, 10:28

Madhias’ multicolor SSK:

HAL’s Unsaver at work:

Proximity’s Zenith in the green:

Oh, and yeah, I like beige :mrgreen:

seebart

25 Nov 2016, 10:37

Very nice Khers, I like your choices! That one anonymous one...well that must be some beginner. :mrgreen:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

25 Nov 2016, 10:50

Picks out for Khers!

davkol

25 Nov 2016, 10:55

Khers

25 Nov 2016, 11:39

Three more:

Snuci’s MacCharlie:

HaaTa’s OTK28:

Snuci’s Chyron Duet:
Wodan wrote: Picks out for Khers!
Your D looks a little funny, Wodan... :maverick:

Khers

25 Nov 2016, 13:39

Someone fiddling with kokokoy’s cork:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

25 Nov 2016, 13:47

Khers wrote:
Wodan wrote: Picks out for Khers!
Your D looks a little funny, Wodan... :maverick:
#thatswhatshesaid

snuci
Vintage computer guy

25 Nov 2016, 13:55

Thank you for the nominations.

If we are thinking about next year, how about we break this out of the DTA Awards and make it a full-fledged DT Photo Contest that is perhaps in summer? I might be close in a "amount of keyboard photos contest" but I only take photos for functional display and documentation purposes and I don't really try to get creative. If there was a DT Photo Contest with some picture-taker submission rules and the ability to win a single Wingnut for the winner, you may get very good participation. The last picture that Khers posted is a great example of some creativity that's not just a picture of a keyboard.

Just a thought.

Return to “Call for nominees”