Wey Technology MK06

Orpheo

16 Nov 2016, 11:02

Here is a keyboard that I am thrilled to use, had great joy in finding how to configure it, but it still have some mystery in it.
Made by the swiss company Wey Technology, actually made in germany by GMK, the switches are PCB Cherry MX clears with diodes. The keycaps are all double shots except for some pad printed ones (all the colored keys are DS).
You can enter the configuration inside de keyboard with a key combination for the macros binding,keyboard buzzer configuration, backligthing of the LCD, mouse and audio configuration. Another combination will enter the firmware configuration when there is a lot of settings like the keyboard protocol, I/O routing etc...
The keyboard only work in combination with the Modular box that comes with it which is like a KVM, fully configurable.

Edit : video

And here is a Wey HK2000 that works the same but has windowed function keys with RGB leds that can shine green, red or orange depending on the functions.

Last edited by Orpheo on 19 Dec 2016, 01:00, edited 2 times in total.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

16 Nov 2016, 11:11

WOW, with that LCD it's awesome. Thanks for sharing.

lolpes

16 Nov 2016, 11:12

That is an awesome setup! I also have one that I am trying to get to work. I just need the cable to connect the board to the box, would you have any idea where I could find one?

Orpheo

16 Nov 2016, 11:18

Is it OK to link to GH here?
The cable looks hard to find and can be expensive! Lucky I got it all together.
From dorkvader on GH :
"The keyboard is plugged into the connector box via a cable. These cables were a real pain to find. They are called a number of different things.

•IEEE-1284 type C
•HPCN 36 (there is no consensus as to what HPCN actually means. My money's on Half Pitch CentroNics)
•mini-centronics
•MDR36 (MDR stands for "mini D ribbon I think) "

Scarpia

16 Nov 2016, 11:27

That is a hell of a sexy setup you've got there! I love those WEY aircraft carriers.

lolpes

16 Nov 2016, 12:02

I don't think there is any problem with linked GH here.

Hum ok so you know as much as me :p I managed to get a centronic Male to male cable, so now I just need 2 centronics to mini centronics adapters, but I really didn't want to shell out 50$ for those (16$ each + 18$ shipping from US) but looks like it really is what I am going to do, unless someone has a better idea I would really appreciate it.

Will you put together any sort of compilation of the key combinations for the modes you reffered on the OP? that would be awesome!

Chyros

16 Nov 2016, 12:04

What a spectacular board!

Orpheo

16 Nov 2016, 12:38

Beware that some boards are locked by a PIN. I have a MK06 and HK2000 that are not locked so I was successful in configuring them to work with a lot a tryouts and fiddling. But by defauts, even if it's locked, at least you should be able to use the PS/2 connector on the Modular box. I sure can help you in configuring it if you take the chance on the adapters. Do you also have the power supply for the box?

lolpes

16 Nov 2016, 12:49

Yes, I have the power supply for the box :) I know that one is a pain as well, but fortunately it came with the board. I only have a usb cable to use from the box to the computer though, will need to find a ps2 cable just in case.

Ratfink

16 Nov 2016, 17:33

Orpheo wrote: And here is a Wey HK2000 that works the same but has windowed function keys with RGB leds that can shine green, red or orange depending on the functions.
If those are the only colors they can be, the LEDs are more likely just red and green, with amber being made by some combination of the two (either flashing quickly between them or lighting both at once, depending on the configuration). :geek:

zslane

16 Nov 2016, 19:12

That is a truly impressive beast! But do you actually use every key on it? Or is it like having a wall of Marshall amplifiers, which exists mostly just to inspire awe in onlookers?

derzemel

16 Nov 2016, 19:24

that is really impressive.
MK06 seems more advanced than the g80-9009 or do I see things?
I have wanted to find a complete (keyboard, modular box and cables) MK06 or a G80-9009 to use as a daily driver for ever now.
It's the very first time I have seen one used with a normal computer. Soooo many of them were disassembled for the switches and keys because because the modular box and cables were not available.

What kind of information can you display on the LCD of the MK06?

beltet

16 Nov 2016, 20:26

Awesome board!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

16 Nov 2016, 21:49

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252519259132

These look really neat. I'd love to have one. But, I'm going to hold off on buying one for now. I promised that I'd invest in new designs! The collection is taking a back seat right now as I work on the next great thing(s).

Chyros

17 Nov 2016, 01:58

XMIT wrote: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252519259132

These look really neat. I'd love to have one. But, I'm going to hold off on buying one for now. I promised that I'd invest in new designs! The collection is taking a back seat right now as I work on the next great thing(s).
So awesome, but so expensive xD .

Firebolt1914

17 Nov 2016, 03:16

Damn, I've always wanted to get one of these. Couldn't find one for a good enough price.

There are the ones with the shitty Cyrillic lasered legends, but they're close to 200 USD.

Orpheo

17 Nov 2016, 17:17

I really need to make a video to show how the configuration works. The LCD really is useful for that. On the other hand, I would have love to be able to configure custom macros displayed when the desired app is active but it seems I can't make it happen!

As for the active keys, only the two square matrixes up top are not active. It seems it is only sending scancodes when in exotic trading workstation mode. All 24 function keys are active, the 8 workstations keys are working (but no scancodes), and of course the rest of the keyboard is sending scancodes (appart from the 'attach detach' key and the 'prev next' key that are located just above the cursor keys)

BUT! you can remove those square matrix PCB (it is modular) and put your own PCB, with a teensy, then you would have a real battleship with lots of keys available!
I fancy the idea to make that happen with custom printed keys for the apps that I use most or for gaming...

tlt

17 Nov 2016, 20:24

Coolest big board with a lot of extra buttons I have seen!

Menuhin

18 Nov 2016, 01:11

XMIT wrote: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252519259132

I'll choose it over SkiData even the one with the orange trackball. Its original retail price must be a lot more than this eBay buy-it-now price.

pr0ximity

18 Nov 2016, 03:04

Wow, what a beautiful beast! The LEDs and pastels go so nicely with the LCDs. Definitely a contender for best battlestation keyboard :ugeek:

Raft

23 Nov 2016, 21:02

setup just blew my mind, just need a rollermouse under it

strg

01 Dec 2016, 05:12

Orpheo wrote:Here is a keyboard that I am thrilled to use, had great joy in finding how to configure it, but it still have some mystery in it.
Made by the swiss company Wey Technology, actually made in germany by GMK, the switches are PCB Cherry MX clears with diodes. The keycaps are all double shots except for some pad printed ones (all the colored keys are DS).
You can enter the configuration inside de keyboard with a key combination for the macros binding,keyboard buzzer configuration, backligthing of the LCD, mouse and audio configuration. Another combination will enter the firmware configuration when there is a lot of settings like the keyboard protocol, I/O routing etc...
The keyboard only work in combination with the Modular box that comes with it which is like a KVM, fully configurable.

And here is a Wey HK2000 that works the same but has windowed function keys with RGB leds that can shine green, red or orange depending on the functions.

Where.... Where did you find these.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

01 Dec 2016, 08:31

There's been an Austrian seller on ebay that sold dozens of them a few weeks back. Sold out pretty quickly though ... :(

kbdfr
The Tiproman

01 Dec 2016, 08:44

You can also find them (or rather similar ones) in the USA:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252519259132
but they seem to be without the connection box.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

01 Dec 2016, 08:47

Oh wow I got five WeyTecs for that price ...

Little spoiler though ... the #mxclear switches in this keyboard are a pain to desolder!

strg

01 Dec 2016, 14:08

Wodan wrote:Oh wow I got five WeyTecs for that price ...

Little spoiler though ... the #mxclear switches in this keyboard are a pain to desolder!
I've set up eBay searches for now. If anyone wants to sell a Wey-Tec, PM me!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

01 Dec 2016, 14:58

These are great and all but with a G80-3000 PCB, a bunch of spare switches, a Teensy, a bent metal case, a couple of old cell phones, and a USB hub, you can make pretty much the same thing.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

01 Dec 2016, 15:03

One thing you gotta appreciate about these WeyTec keyboards is their build quality. These are GMK made keyboards and not the flimsy Cherry G80 stuff. The reason why these MX Clears are so cumbersome to desolder is the thick, solid PCB used by GMK.

scottc

01 Dec 2016, 18:54

I am not a big keyboard guy but I'd love to use one of these giant WEY beasts. Such a big and beautiful battleship.

strg

01 Dec 2016, 19:11

Orpheo wrote:Is it OK to link to GH here?
The cable looks hard to find and can be expensive! Lucky I got it all together.
From dorkvader on GH :
"The keyboard is plugged into the connector box via a cable. These cables were a real pain to find. They are called a number of different things.

•IEEE-1284 type C
•HPCN 36 (there is no consensus as to what HPCN actually means. My money's on Half Pitch CentroNics)
•mini-centronics
•MDR36 (MDR stands for "mini D ribbon I think) "
http://www.pchcables.com/hhaceprca.html

It's listed as a "half pitched centronics cable" on page 18/49 of the manual.

Unfortunately it looks like there is no way to connect from the breakout box to a USB port on a PC?

Hardly plug and play :P

Here's the English manual: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3l12 ... 3d4dU1MSjQ

Return to “Gallery”