RollerMouse - your opinions?

Phenix
-p

27 Feb 2016, 21:18

Hi

I tried an ROller mouse for about 10 minutes and it felt quite nice eventough I would need to get used to it.
http://www.rollermouse.de/

I could get the "Pro" version for ~140€ (@ebay its around 180€ so the offer is good)

So anyone is using it/has used it who could tell me if its good to use on a daily basis?
Thanks for

kbdfr
The Tiproman

28 Feb 2016, 08:42

Phenix
-p

01 Mar 2016, 19:06

ok. Thanks for the link. I bought it today eventough I don't know if its really the Pro-version

Will try out with the ErgoPro soon.. 8-)

LuX

05 Mar 2016, 21:19

From the image it looks a lot like the original 2001 version.
How does the RollerMouse feel, can you compare it to a trackball?
Would you say it is accurate enough for detailed work?

Phenix
-p

06 Mar 2016, 14:13

I only tried it for around 2 hours (with the ErgoPro its hard to use).

Compared to my SlimBlade its way faster (at least to me, but Im not used trackballs anyway.)

Accuracy is okay, but practice is needed. +the keyboard should have a small frame (with an Model M its ok, but could be better). But maybe my hands are too small....

LuX

06 Mar 2016, 16:10

Alright, thanks. I think the currently offered RollerMice are a little too wide for my needs anyway. I'll have to look for something else, maybe a drawpad kind of system.

Phenix
-p

06 Mar 2016, 19:58

I might be selling mine..
Have to Gert used to first

mSSM

06 Mar 2016, 22:25

I do have a RollerMouse Free 2. I used to have some really bad problems with my wrists, and the RollerMouse made it better. The problems are gone and so I am not using it anymore. I barely touch my mouse and when I do a classical mouse is just faster to use. But I never really spent a lot of time getting used to the RollerMouse.

It's for sale, if somebody is interested.

LuX

07 Mar 2016, 21:21

To be honest I've decided that a RollerMouse is a bad option for me. It's pretty much like a mouse you cannot lift up, meanwhile capacitive devises are too inaccurate. While they do have their uses in normal office and browsing environment, it's too restrictive. At the same time none of the trackballs in the current market appeal to me too much. Might just have to make my own. I wonder how hard it's going to be.

mSSM

07 Mar 2016, 22:37

Wanna try a L-Trac X? :-)

Phenix
-p

08 Mar 2016, 11:20

Whats an l trac X? How much

andrewjoy

08 Mar 2016, 11:27

LuX

08 Mar 2016, 16:26

I find the L trac has too few buttons, and the ball isn't exposed enough, plus seems to be quite high friction.
In terms of design the Logitech Marble FX looks really good, but it's still not perfect, and discontinued anyway.

berserkfan

04 Apr 2016, 15:33

Hang on a second guys.

Ltrac drivers conflict with Kensington. You can't use them together on the same computer. (At least, I couldn't.)

andrewjoy

03 Nov 2016, 16:40

On my one Pro1 , you can physically adjust how hard it is to press the bar down, i agree that takes some getting used to but its worth it.

The button works fine but clicking the bar is just loverly once you learn it.

Space is not an issue for me , i already have a 122F on my desk , if anything the roller mouse is too short.

Phenix
-p

04 Nov 2016, 15:21

I also used it with an F122 for an while. while using my FSSK/now an clueboard I tried using that empty place for my mouse - not that comfortable.

Need to overthink my setup one day..

Anyway its great to use as an second input device (mainly used with left hand)

gcardinal

02 Dec 2016, 11:52

In Norway rollermouse is very popular and are often seen at office spaces. I can definitely say that it is great for any job where you use mouse more then you use keyboard. For general browsing, searching, windows gui heavy tasks etc., rollermouse is great.

And if you do have pain in your hand or wrist - using rollermouse gives you if not instant, but very quickly relief indeed.

Also if you invest, and get used to using your thumbs to operate the roller - you will never have to take your hands off or to move them around. I find it works especially well with filco majestouch 2 type keyboards. And even it works without drivers, installing drivers are very important in order to get good precision and just the right feel.

urbancamo

02 Dec 2016, 14:41

I use rollermouse at work all the time - no more issues with wrists.
I have a red in pretty much unused conditions (my classic is the only one that works with my work computer which is a SunRay) for sale - I'll upload to the sale section shortly, if anyone is interested.

cloud_171

07 Dec 2016, 01:21

It is amusing how everyone in this thread is looking to sell their RollerMouse :lol:

I personally used the Rollermouse Free for 5 years daily at work and as a programmer it is a god send. Combined with a nice 60% KB and my hands are never off the home row. Granted this isn't the intended use case but definitely nice for those who prefer to use keyboards.
LuX wrote: From the image it looks a lot like the original 2001 version.
How does the RollerMouse feel, can you compare it to a trackball?
Would you say it is accurate enough for detailed work?
As far as accuracy, definitely not good for any precise mouse work but I don't find it any worse than a trackball. For precision, probably need to use your entire hand but I've gotten the hang of using my thumbs only.

I actually had a L-Trac X before the RollerMouse and found it inferior to a RollerMouse for my purposes. Only advantage it had over the mouse was it took up less desk space.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

07 Dec 2016, 08:21

cloud_171 wrote: It is amusing how everyone in this thread is looking to sell their RollerMouse :lol: […]
Not everyone - I am even considering buying a second one :mrgreen:

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

08 Dec 2016, 02:02

I can't believe that I have not commented in this thread yet.

I have been a Rollermouse user for years. I recommend the later models, as the quality and accuracy are much better than the earlier models. I know it's tempting to get the earlier models because they sell for so much cheaper on Ebay and such, but trust me, the later models are worth the extra money. I am referring to the Red, Free 3, Free 2, and Pro 2.

I use the Rollermouse Red, and it is very high quality. Very happy with my purchase.

paecific.jr

08 Dec 2016, 21:51

A coworker of mine has one. She likes it, I can't stand it. The server guy, who often shows her stuff, has a spare mouse on the side. I guess whatever works.

andrewjoy

08 Dec 2016, 22:38

I never had any issues with the Pro 1 as far as accuracy goes , if your too violent with it it can jump off the end bearing and you have to take it apart to put it back on , but you have to jam on it pretty hard for that to happen

davkol

09 Dec 2016, 19:56

Expecting anything close to pixel precision from the old Pro is just insane, that thing moves ever so slightly basically by itself.

Phenix
-p

11 Dec 2016, 03:20

I did the step and bought my second one lately (the red version)

im interested how it will be, as my rollermouse usage is mainly as left hand alternative while my right is tired/whatnot

randomist

20 Feb 2017, 02:06

My former supervisor had one of those (Pro 2 I think) for medical reaons. He asked me to navigate to some mathematical model or other I was working on on my thumb drive. The moment I touched the "mouse" the cursor had a mind of its own... I had to give up and just tell him which folders to open.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

20 Feb 2017, 07:56

randomist wrote: My former supervisor had one of those (Pro 2 I think) for medical reaons. He asked me to navigate to some mathematical model or other I was working on on my thumb drive. The moment I touched the "mouse" the cursor had a mind of its own... I had to give up and just tell him which folders to open.
Reminds me of the memorable occasion when being in London, I wanted to rent a car.
Suddenly I sat in what to me had always been the passenger seat but with a steering wheel in front of me,
had to shift gears with my left hand, and when I wanted to activate the turn signal, the wipers went on.
I had to give up and just take the bus.

Perhaps I should have given it a serious try instead of blaming the car :mrgreen:

randomist

20 Feb 2017, 10:50

kbdfr wrote:
randomist wrote: My former supervisor had one of those (Pro 2 I think) for medical reaons. He asked me to navigate to some mathematical model or other I was working on on my thumb drive. The moment I touched the "mouse" the cursor had a mind of its own... I had to give up and just tell him which folders to open.
Reminds me of the memorable occasion when being in London, I wanted to rent a car.
Suddenly I sat in what to me had always been the passenger seat but with a steering wheel in front of me,
had to shift gears with my left hand, and when I wanted to activate the turn signal, the wipers went on.

Perhaps I should have given it a serious try instead of blaming the car :mrgreen:
But why would I when it felt so uncomfortable and I have better (for me) alternatives? Persevering with something that is THAT bad is stupidity in my opinion. It's nothing like having the steering wheel on the correct side of the car for the first time.

Phenix
-p

20 Feb 2017, 10:56

For some it works - for some not.
atm Im back at my ergodox, as I run into problems (for some time) with an japanese 66%

kbdfr
The Tiproman

20 Feb 2017, 12:00

randomist wrote:
kbdfr wrote:

But why would I when it felt so uncomfortable and I have better (for me) alternatives? Persevering with something that is THAT bad is stupidity in my opinion. It's nothing like having the steering wheel on the correct side of the car for the first time.
You're right, of course.
Why should I give a UK car a serious try after sitting two full minutes in it when it felt so uncomfortable and I have better (for me) alternatives? Persevering with something that is THAT bad is stupidity in my your opinion.

In the same vein, the first time you take a guitar in your hands, it will sound terrible and your fingers will hurt.
Putting it aside after the first try because it's THAT bad has nothing to do with the guitar, though.

Strangely enough there ARE people who drive cars for left-hand traffic, and people who play the guitar.

Return to “Mice & other input devices”