Model MF - GB CLOSED

Pick our controller... Voting ends on Friday

The mini-xWhatsit that WCass shrunk down. It uses the same mini-controller design as Ellipse's F62/77, but with a connector meant to slip onto our PCB (inverted running parallel to the backplate)
31%
The CommonSense that DMA has recently put together. This is young yet, but has the most long term promise (not a question). It will have a very similar connector (possibly perpendicular vs. parallel slip-on mount)
69%

Total votes: 62

derzemel

03 Dec 2016, 19:24

do you have a video with you typing on the MF SSK prototype?
I searched through this thread and through the workshop one and I have not seen one

I am very curious on how it sounds

lot_lizard

03 Dec 2016, 20:39

derzemel wrote: do you have a video with you typing on the MF SSK prototype?
I searched through this thread and through the workshop one and I have not seen one
I did record one very early on, but it was such a garbage video that I never posted (the playback was very inaccurate to me... pitch was higher, but at the same time more missed the character of the board, etc.). I never took the time to produce anything of good quality. Apologize for that, and unfortunately I am away from the prototype this weekend.

We are REALLY "tight", but don't confuse that with quiet. I started out down the "quiet it down" path, but really started to focus on making the keys consistent (both in feel and sound). We are a bigger board than 4704/XT (with key gaps), so the consistency is more difficult. For those of you that own a Unsaver/F122, you understand the keys have pretty sizable audible and tactile differences as you move around the board. Because of how we are stabilizing these barrels with the two part foam (has "pressure points" in the right spots), and our much higher down pressure than any F, we are EXTREMELY consistent throughout the board. Mid plate tension screws help to tune as well.

From an audible standpoint, I would put it up against any of my F's (have maybe 20 functional ones?). I have one Bigfoot that is best of the lot. I can't explain why. I have 3 total Bigfeet, and this one swims circles around the others... it's crazy.

Sorry for being long winded. But if you are picky enough, every one of these BS boards has a unique personality. My wife wouldn't notice the difference, but those of us with sensory issues definitely do. I think you will be pleased, otherwise we wouldn't be doing this... but I should have taken the time to get a proper mic out. Sorry about that.

lot_lizard

03 Dec 2016, 22:23

Just an update... going to be out for the evening. ~90% of you have been invoiced if you sent me your email. ~85% of those invoiced have paid already (crazy good). I just want to make sure no-one thinks I'm ignoring, but the "old gal" and I are having a night out

webwit
Wild Duck

03 Dec 2016, 22:31

What?! On a Saturday?? :evil:

POTV

03 Dec 2016, 22:44

lot_lizard, I've just sent you a PM, but can't see that it has been sent. If not, please get back to me...

tentator

03 Dec 2016, 23:29

paid! :)

PS: and btw, how much for that mopar-coloured caps by unicomp now?

lot_lizard

04 Dec 2016, 00:48

ohaimark wrote:
Wodan wrote: Sorry just finished fapping to this. Need I say any more?
Don't get anything untoward on the M|F's that you're proxying!
finally seeing this... For awareness, we've had another proxy lined up since the beginning, but that fell through. Wodan literally stepped up yesterday (day before?!?) when I asked. Point is, at the time, he had no idea but jumped in like a trooper. No politics here from anyone involved...

Ir0n

04 Dec 2016, 00:57

tentator wrote: paid! :)

PS: and btw, how much for that mopar-coloured caps by unicomp now?
They are a lot darker but it was around 18 dollars for the kit.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

04 Dec 2016, 04:37

I had no clue that my avatar was on that tribute sticker. Cool.

Topre Enthusiast

04 Dec 2016, 04:43

The tribute stickers are really cool. I bought a couple of them, but as with most stickers that I own, I can never decide what to stick them to :(
Was it mentioned how lot_lizard decided which avatars would go on the tribute sticker? Was it post count?

ohaimark
Kingpin

04 Dec 2016, 04:45

Yep, post count.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

04 Dec 2016, 05:22

ohaimark wrote: Yep, post count.
then Mu should get like 25% of the real estate on that sticker.

Ray

04 Dec 2016, 09:40

Speaking of Mu, he is aware this GB is running right now, right?

wobbled

04 Dec 2016, 14:40

Can you check PM's Lot_Lizard? I bought the kit but idk if I'll have to provide my own flippers or not. If I do I'm fucked because I don't have any spare.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

04 Dec 2016, 17:01

wobbled wrote: Can you check PM's Lot_Lizard? I bought the kit but idk if I'll have to provide my own flippers or not. If I do I'm fucked because I don't have any spare.
I'm sure someone would be able to help you out there! You'd have plenty of time to acquire the number needed for sure. :D

lot_lizard

04 Dec 2016, 17:06

Ray wrote: Speaking of Mu, he is aware this GB is running right now, right?
Mu is not necessarily aware of the GB thread itself, but we touched base a while ago via PM's. He has a special one set aside for him :). If you look at the 3rd post, we have a list of everyone I have confirmed as participating. There are still ~5 that sent me something last evening that I haven't processed yet. Really was a nice turnout
wobbled wrote: Can you check PM's Lot_Lizard? I bought the kit but idk if I'll have to provide my own flippers or not. If I do I'm fucked because I don't have any spare.
Sent you a PM... let me know if you have any other questions

fohat
Elder Messenger

04 Dec 2016, 17:10

livingspeedbump wrote:
You'd have plenty of time to acquire the number needed for sure.
Cindy seems to be able to scare up a dozen or so every month or 2

And, as I calculate it, these babies won't be in our hands until late-January-early-February (optimistic) or mid-late-February (realistic) anyway.

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

04 Dec 2016, 17:25

fohat wrote:
livingspeedbump wrote:
You'd have plenty of time to acquire the number needed for sure.
Cindy seems to be able to scare up a dozen or so every month or 2

And, as I calculate it, these babies won't be in our hands until late-January-early-February (optimistic) or mid-late-February (realistic) anyway.

I also have a few extras. I originally was going to scrap one of my XT's (I have 5 or 6?) but all of mine are teensied and in fine working condition, so it seemed a bit of a shame to murder one. Still, I don't actually use them all so eh. Could definitely spare one or two.

That early?! Dang. I honestly hadn't seen or really thought about the time frame for this GB much, I was just assuming like...by next xmas, and was more than happy with that :lol:

Edit:
I just realized I can easily get more barrels/flipper later with my next Ellipse F purchase so I'd be able just replace any I harvest now. If someone does need some after the buy is over just PM me.
Last edited by livingspeedbump on 04 Dec 2016, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

wobbled

04 Dec 2016, 17:28

Turns out I'll get the flippers with my order after all, excuse my idiocy :)

livingspeedbump
Not what they seem

04 Dec 2016, 17:43

wobbled wrote: Turns out I'll get the flippers with my order after all, excuse my idiocy :)
Excellent!

Well if someone else gets their kit later and realizes they need flippers just let me know.

Muirium
µ

04 Dec 2016, 18:46

Yup. I am indeed, thanks to you! Current status: badgering Lizard with questions re: HHKB split shift and USB C. Definitely can't miss this. Project of the Year!

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

04 Dec 2016, 18:48

lot_lizard wrote: If you look at the 3rd post, we have a list of everyone I have confirmed as participating. There are still ~5 that sent me something last evening that I haven't processed yet. Really was a nice turnout
Yea, sorry about the deadline order...

pcaro

04 Dec 2016, 19:16

lot_lizard wrote: If you look at the 3rd post, we have a list of everyone I have confirmed as participating. There are still ~5 that sent me something last evening that I haven't processed yet. Really was a nice turnout
One of that messages is from me. I was worried about having no response the last day ;)
I really need a FSSK!

Happy to see my name in the list! You must be a very busy guy lot_lizard with this GB. Thanks again.

t!ng
Awake Sheep

04 Dec 2016, 19:17

Hope I made it too in the last minute =D

derzemel

04 Dec 2016, 19:27

Ordered too. Ssk set + switces + 55g springs

Phenix
-p

04 Dec 2016, 19:31

Regarding HHKB shift:
is nornal HHKB shift now supported, or just JIS split shift?

Hypersphere

04 Dec 2016, 19:33

Muirium wrote:
Yup. I am indeed, thanks to you! Current status: badgering Lizard with questions re: HHKB split shift and USB C. Definitely can't miss this. Project of the Year!
Good to see that you are not missing out, Mu!

Speaking of badgering lizard, please don't go too far with this!
Badger_Kills_Lizard.jpg
Badger_Kills_Lizard.jpg (188.15 KiB) Viewed 5314 times
Honey Badger Killing and Eating Monitor Lizard
https://www.google.com/search?q=badger+ ... ExpTSHM%3A

BTW, the Split Right shift is unfortunately not the correct orientation for a HHKB-like layout.

Regarding connectors, I am getting both USB-B and USB-C. The B connector seems the appropriate size for this keyboard, but I wanted to be ready for the next-gen C connector. It is straightforward to swap the connectors.

Phenix
-p

04 Dec 2016, 19:41

no problem at all for me.

I got one extra USB C and else only USB mini, as mini is sturdy+I have cables laying around for it.

A bluetooth board/option would be nice as well..

lot_lizard

04 Dec 2016, 21:07

Thanks again for all the support everyone. I have the 3rd post updated with everyone that is participating so far and accurate counts. If you think you are part of this, and don't see your handle listed... please send me a PM. Still working on getting some invoices out, but I will continue to mess with that into the evening.

EDIT: @Hypersphere... haha... made me think of the viral video from years ago "Honey Badger Don't Care" (mind the language if it offends)

POTV

04 Dec 2016, 21:19

The average order is approx. 1,5 keyboard - impressive :-)

Return to “Group buys”