XMIT for bringing back Hall Effect
14%
Ripster55 for spreading his knowledge on reddit
26%

Total votes: 307

emdude
Model M Apologist

08 Dec 2016, 03:32

And what better thread for new members to have a taste of the tangents that await them.. :twisted:

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

08 Dec 2016, 04:09

emdude wrote: And what better thread for new members to have a taste of the tangents that await them.. :twisted:
Seriously, be ready for things to go in ANY direction...

Which is why I enjoy this place.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

08 Dec 2016, 04:11

I'm sure no one will remember this for next year, but if we don't have ranked choice voting, we could do the next best thing. Make it a rule that the winner has to have a majority of votes. If no one has a majority after one round of final voting, hold a runoff vote between the top two vote getters.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

08 Dec 2016, 04:49

Techno Trousers wrote: I'm sure no one will remember this for next year, but if we don't have ranked choice voting, we could do the next best thing. Make it a rule that the winner has to have a majority of votes. If no one has a majority after one round of final voting, hold a runoff vote between the top two vote getters.
I think we should take Wodan's advice and move this type of discussion to the Club business subforum.

mecano

08 Dec 2016, 15:55

Techno Trousers wrote: I'm sure no one will remember this for next year, but if we don't have ranked choice voting, we could do the next best thing. Make it a rule that the winner has to have a majority of votes. If no one has a majority after one round of final voting, hold a runoff vote between the top two vote getters.
How will it be a best thing? Why does the winner has to have a quota of votes? What bother you in the fact that the one with most votes wins? Ranked choice voting is enforcement of social engineering of masses, it reminds me of these words from Lo Stato Sociale song "Nella guerra per la pace vince da sempre il voto moderato" (In the war for peace always wins the moderate vote), plus in the awards we are voting for, it is by far less fun.
And now you want to reduce our choices even more, gee…

fohat
Elder Messenger

08 Dec 2016, 22:35

mecano wrote:
What bother you in the fact that the one with most votes wins?
"most votes wins" is acceptable if the field is very small (eg <3-4) but in a more fragmented field then a random outlier can subvert the will of the majority if that has become splintered between similar choices.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

08 Dec 2016, 23:01

A ranked voting system is clearly the answer here.

chzel

08 Dec 2016, 23:37

Why do we need anything more than a simple one vote, relative majority winner system? We already have 2 rounds of voting, and the point is to vote for our one favourite X. What advantage would a ranked or other system present to make it worth the complications? I'd rather see a nominee I didn't vote for win than seeing most voters' second choice win.

lot_lizard

08 Dec 2016, 23:39

I know I should keep my #$%!ing mouth shut here (a smarter or at least greedier person would), but I would prefer we just kept the voting simple. Before you vote, actually LOOK at the body of work for EVERYTHING, it's merit, it's impact... and vote based on what YOU feel is the MOST deserving (not ranked, no agendas, but your favorite contribution). I asked about the scope of this, because I was confused as to whether this is 2016 only or lifetime award... and learned that is your decision as a voter.

There is no question that everything that made it this far is fantastic (it's been an AWESOME year). Turning this into some forum warfare with an agenda feels tainted/gross, and that isn't what this is about. Whomever this is awarded to should feel pride about what happened here, what they or their team accomplished, and see the wingnut for what it is.... special. I would hope that any of the nominees would rather lose with pride than win with forum motives and "vote for me" stickies. Otherwise we should all make a pact right now to paint the damn thing black once awarded. I think we are bigger than that.

Let's clean it up, and worry about voting system changes for next year if we need to (this is what we have for now). If you are voting for our (MF) team, but really wanted something else... it's on you to change your vote back if you prefer. Sorry in advance to the other members of my group that aren't being consulted about this little rant ahead of time :), but I know the type of people you are, and I know you would feel the same.

fohat
Elder Messenger

09 Dec 2016, 00:32

lot_lizard wrote:
I asked about the scope of this, because I was confused as to whether this is 2016 only or lifetime award ....
Yes, I agree that this needs to be clarified.

My understanding was that this was/is the "2016 Deskthority Awards" which means, to me:

Awards, from and by Deskthority, for persons and things accomplished during the year 2016.

Who is eligible to vote, and to win, these awards may be open to interpretation, but what the awards themselves represent should be defined unambiguously.

chzel

09 Dec 2016, 00:42

I think it's actually very clear:
webwit wrote: Nomination rules:
Use this topic to suggest nominees for The Deskthority 2016. This is the main award and "super category," so anything goes. You can suggest a keyboard, company, keycap set, person, etc. It can be something or someone already nominated in another category as well. In fact, please post strong candidates from other categories. What has been extra special since Thursday 3 December, 2015? Who earns the Golden Wingnut? You have to give a short motivation for each suggestion. You cannot nominate yourself.
(bold and underlining added for emphasis)

This award is for someone's contribution/influence/whatever since the last DTA.

webwit
Wild Duck

09 Dec 2016, 00:49

Ripster was nominated "for continuing to spread his knowledge on reddit and general shitposting" in 2016, and the nomination is therefore allowed.

I can only speculate about voter motivations. It's ok if they take into account a "lifetime" of work, it's also ok to dismiss that and concentrate on this year only, this Award is pretty open, the voters will decide who deserves this year's golden Wingnut.

It's not like they lack opinion. :twisted:

Haven't you voted yet? Please vote for your favorite:
  • The Model MF team for the Model MF kit
  • Daniel Beardsmore for Deskthority Wiki work
  • Chyros for his videos and majestic voice
  • XMIT for bringing back Hall Effect
  • Ripster55 for spreading his knowledge on reddit

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

09 Dec 2016, 02:56

lot_lizard wrote: I know I should keep my #$%!ing mouth shut here (a smarter or at least greedier person would), but I would prefer we just kept the voting simple. Before you vote, actually LOOK at the body of work for EVERYTHING, it's merit, it's impact... and vote based on what YOU feel is the MOST deserving (not ranked, no agendas, but your favorite contribution). I asked about the scope of this, because I was confused as to whether this is 2016 only or lifetime award... and learned that is your decision as a voter.

There is no question that everything that made it this far is fantastic (it's been an AWESOME year). Turning this into some forum warfare with an agenda feels tainted/gross, and that isn't what this is about. Whomever this is awarded to should feel pride about what happened here, what they or their team accomplished, and see the wingnut for what it is.... special. I would hope that any of the nominees would rather lose with pride than win with forum motives and "vote for me" stickies. Otherwise we should all make a pact right now to paint the damn thing black once awarded. I think we are bigger than that.

Let's clean it up, and worry about voting system changes for next year if we need to (this is what we have for now). If you are voting for our (MF) team, but really wanted something else... it's on you to change your vote back if you prefer. Sorry in advance to the other members of my group that aren't being consulted about this little rant ahead of time :), but I know the type of people you are, and I know you would feel the same.
Free speech forum, no need to feel that you need to keep your mouth shut!

Whatever happens, happens. It's a frickin keyboard forum awards ceremony, let's not take it too seriously. Regardless, the award has brought some attention to some seriously awesome projects, even if the winner ends up not being the person/team that we voted for.

The Deskthority Awards are one of a kind, a wonderful annual event. A little tiff here and there does not change that.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

09 Dec 2016, 07:25

lot_lizard wrote: […] If you are voting for our (MF) team, but really wanted something else... it's on you to change your vote back if you prefer. […]
Let me explain with full details why, after first having chosen another nominee, I am now voting for the model MF team.

- My vote first went to Daniel Beardsmore because of his fantastic work on the wiki, with hundreds and hundreds of contributions since he even stopped posting in the forum more than 18 months ago. I think he can't be praised enough for that.
- My second choice would have been Chyros for his videos (simply for his videos, since I'm not that much into even that impressive male voices :lol: )
- The reason why I had first considered neither the Model MF team nor XMIT in this category is simple: I am not interested in IBM stuff, know nothing about it and only randomly follow what's happening in this portion of the keyboard universe.
- And I considered ripster as a silly joke, as only very few still know him on DT and those who do probably wouldn't vote for him.

My assumption ripster had no chance was proven wrong when the two top contenders were announced.

Still considering ripster as a silly joke, I decided to change my vote because this (and making it public, i.e. encouraging others to do the same), appears to be the only way I can prevent DT from ridiculously giving a trophy bearing its name to someone who was banned from DT for good reasons (restless trolling and literally flooding the forum with spam so that he had to be put on a 1 post/hour limit and then restarted spamming as soon as the limit was lifted).

Shihatsu

09 Dec 2016, 09:59

XMIT for sure.

mecano

14 Dec 2016, 16:24

I'm glad Tom Wong/xwhatis won :) Cheers to the whole crew too!

lot_lizard

14 Dec 2016, 20:24

mecano wrote: I'm glad Tom Wong/xwhatis won :) Cheers to the whole crew too!
Couldn't agree more... will work hard to find all of these yahoos and make sure the "nut" spends as much time as they like with each. Such a fun year, and one I will remember forever. We have so much talent and passion as a community. Makes me proud to see that we can rally that behind a mission!!! Normally "gifted" nerds are either in two facets:
  • those that need to prove that they shouldn't have been picked on in school
  • those that help EVERYONE in an unbridled way
I think DT is the latter. Community of free thinkers, not afraid to speak their mind, though able adapt to each other. It's a rare group to find I think, and glad I joined it.

Return to “Final vote”