Operation Darling - Local recycling center raid !

photekq
Cherry Picker

09 Dec 2016, 15:43

Wodan wrote: Christmas came early this year. As did I ... twice!!!
Phrasing :lol:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

09 Dec 2016, 15:44

Oh don't worry that just applies to G81s! I would _NEVER_ leave an MX switch behind.

I'll probably start a "Newbie program" here for new members ... offer them Dell Alps boards and G80s at funny prices, one per user and only after the first 25 posts :)

kbdfr
The Tiproman

09 Dec 2016, 15:51

Wodan wrote: I hate you! You're not my real father :((((( […]
I am now open to a reconciliation :lol:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

09 Dec 2016, 15:55

kbdfr wrote:
Wodan wrote: I hate you! You're not my real father :((((( […]
I am now open to a reconciliation :lol:

It's never too late!

alh84001
v.001

09 Dec 2016, 16:07

My collection just shrinked to some 30-40 boards, and I need to trim it even further. 30 boards per haul? You'll need to rent a warehouse :)

Wodan
ISO Advocate

09 Dec 2016, 16:12

alh84001 wrote: My collection just shrinked to some 30-40 boards, and I need to trim it even further. 30 boards per haul? You'll need to rent a warehouse :)
I have some issues, yes. Must find a way to let go of some in a larger fashion. There's a little dilemma for me though. I want to sell them at community prices AND don't want to see people flip them for a profit on ebay afterwards ...

Maybe I can get some "Rabbit hole" kits together with Dell-Alps + G80HAD + ModelM for people new to the hobby with good intentions and sell those for like 50€ a kit.

Rimrul

09 Dec 2016, 16:14

Wodan wrote: new, higher standard. [...] no more exotic switches.
Only MX, common types of simplified ALPS and buckling spring from now on? :o
You'd leave stuff like beamsprings and striped amber ALPS behind? :cry:
You Monster. :evil: :lol:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

09 Dec 2016, 17:30

Okay here's the loot. It's too much for single pics, I've moved on to group shots:

The Model-Ms:
Spoiler:
The HADs (G80 + G81):
Spoiler:
The SADs (G81): WASCH DIR ERSTMAL DEINE GRIFFEL!
Spoiler:
Other G80 boards, VERY NICE (Mx White, Mx Super Black!!!!)
Spoiler:
The Alps & Various:
Spoiler:
Here come the GEMS:
Spoiler:
LOL and the obligatory HO-LEE Motherfucker:
Spoiler:
Looks like it's never been used!
Just VERY dirty on the top ...
Who would have thought ... Blue Alps HATTRICK

alh84001
v.001

09 Dec 2016, 17:45

Wodan wrote: Maybe I can get some "Rabbit hole" kits together with Dell-Alps + G80HAD + ModelM for people new to the hobby with good intentions and sell those for like 50€ a kit.
I think the newcomers would simply love it. Although, once they get through the rabbit hole, they would probably need to let some of them go.

As for the boards:
- lovely Ambra
- Greenite that's even greener than mine :). But as always, PBT keycaps are niiiice
- Wow, what is that 60% board.....looking sharp
- and that Monterey is a definition of a diamond in the rough - congrats! :)

scottc

09 Dec 2016, 17:50

Can I come hang out with you?

Chyros

09 Dec 2016, 17:57

Haha, nice, that's one tasty haul indeed ^^ .

The blue Alps Monterey board looks pretty good. The stuff on top is a kind of mould, I had it on my Datacomp as well. It only grows on top, shouldn't hurt the switches at all (the Datacomp's switches are in fantastic condition just like these seem to be).

Parak

09 Dec 2016, 18:16

Wodan wrote: and no more exotic switches.
If we're talking something like stackpole, hitek, keytronic, and so on... but hopefully not something obscure and amazing like magnetic separation of which there are currently literally only two known examples of in the world (both in HaaTa's lair) :evil:

Scarpia

09 Dec 2016, 22:39

Wow Wodan. Just wow.

Darkshado

09 Dec 2016, 23:10

WASCH DIR ERSTMAL DEINE GRIFFEL
"Wash your nails/fingers/claws first" ? -> by the look of that board, not sure how often that happened... :?

Nice finds!

For the "rabbit hole" boards, perhaps you could engrave the case underneath for future identification? Something like "Deskthority - "Rabbit hole" starter board - (date)" might work. This way any future owner gets pointed here, at a minimum.

Rimrul

09 Dec 2016, 23:22

Darkshado wrote:
"Wash your nails/fingers/claws first" ?
Close enough :lol:

Chyros

09 Dec 2016, 23:26

Darkshado wrote:
"Wash your nails/fingers/claws first" ? -> by the look of that board, not sure how often that happened... :?
DAS KEYBOARD IST NICHT FUER DER GEFINGERPOKEN UND MITTENGRABBEN!

Scarpia

10 Dec 2016, 00:16

Chyros wrote:
Darkshado wrote:
DAS KEYBOARD IST NICHT FUER DER GEFINGERPOKEN UND MITTENGRABBEN!
BLINKENLIGHTS! Oh good times... I used to have this on a printed note taped onto my very first PC back in the mid-nineties.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

10 Dec 2016, 17:06

alh84001 wrote: I think the newcomers would simply love it. Although, once they get through the rabbit hole, they would probably need to let some of them go.

As for the boards:
- lovely Ambra
- Greenite that's even greener than mine :). But as always, PBT keycaps are niiiice
- Wow, what is that 60% board.....looking sharp
- and that Monterey is a definition of a diamond in the rough - congrats! :)
You say it, but check out that Schneider as well, ISO-DE with US legends :)

And that Debitel SAD keyboard has a different color of PBT! It's light-grey and NOT beige...
scottc wrote: Can I come hang out with you?
Yes, all club members are welcome in my basement :)
Chyros wrote: Haha, nice, that's one tasty haul indeed ^^ .
Still hoping for a MMK though ;)
Parak wrote: If we're talking something like stackpole, hitek, keytronic, and so on... but hopefully not something obscure and amazing like magnetic separation of which there are currently literally only two known examples of in the world (both in HaaTa's lair) :evil:
Hopefully I am able to tell the good ones apart from the trash. I usually never leave anything that I have no clue what it is ...
Darkshado wrote: For the "rabbit hole" boards, perhaps you could engrave the case underneath for future identification? Something like "Deskthority - "Rabbit hole" starter board - (date)" might work. This way any future owner gets pointed here, at a minimum.
That is a great idea but means a lot of work on my side. I will probably put a label sticker on the inside/bottom ... that should do. If someone really goes through the trouble of removing that ... I'll make a list of these people :)

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

10 Dec 2016, 17:13

Wodan wrote: Oh don't worry that just applies to G81s! I would _NEVER_ leave an MX switch behind.

I'll probably start a "Newbie program" here for new members ... offer them Dell Alps boards and G80s at funny prices, one per user and only after the first 25 posts :)
That's an interesting idea. Of course you should then also have better prizes for more senior members...like an "incentive programm". :evilgeek:

Menuhin

10 Dec 2016, 18:07

Wodan wrote: So following the teachings of the great prophet Chyros I visited my local recycling center ...
Unfortunately, I'm in Germany and there's rules and regulations.
Spoiler:
They can't just give away stuff to people and I can't access their sorting facility without protective shoes and a warning vest. I also had to register a small business so that they can send me commercial invoices ...

But ... it was all worth it.
Today was the first time I was allowed into the keyboard vault...
Didn't know the existence of this great thread.
I might also want to register a small business just for the sake of saying something as cool as what Chyros said so many times in his videos, e.g. "I acquired this keyboard in 50 cents (or as low as 5 euros will do)"

Every German city should have a keyboard enthusiast like you so that no great keyboard is going to waste for scrap metal. Feeling so happy about the gems that showed up for you.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

10 Dec 2016, 20:45

I didn't know Cherry made Granite caps:

Comparing the debis SAD caps with regular SAD caps

Wodan
ISO Advocate

12 Dec 2016, 07:45

Has anyone seen these "grey" Cherry DyeSubs before?

photekq
Cherry Picker

12 Dec 2016, 09:00

Yes. Some company branded Cherry keyboards have different keycap tones. NCR, AEG Olympia, Goupil, Peacock (I believe on the dyesub models at least) are all a different colour to standard OG Cherry. I'd say that those look quite close to NCR.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

12 Dec 2016, 09:37

Thanks Photekq, you never disapoint :)

Loooove my Cherry Granite!

jamesTY

05 Jan 2017, 03:24

so much keyboards, where you get them. amazing

Wodan
ISO Advocate

26 Jan 2017, 07:27

The next raid should happen any day now. I am getting increasingly nervous :)

This time I will do a little Telegram promo and share live pics from the recycler on Telegram. Join the Deskthority channel for first looks at TEH LEWTZZZ

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

26 Jan 2017, 09:25

Very cool.

subcat

26 Jan 2017, 12:07

This post has inspired me to contact my local recycling centre, where an employee kindly offered to hold all the old boards he gets for me :D thank you!

Chyros

26 Jan 2017, 12:09

Yes! More people into recycling centres! :D Save the whales!

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

26 Jan 2017, 12:48

Chyros wrote: Yes! More people into recycling centres! :D Save the whales!
Oh I wish I could...so bad. But then I would end up like Wodan. :mrgreen: I could never "turn down" certain keyboards whilst at the recycling centre. Madness. Something like this remains the dream:
DdtKvDR.jpg
DdtKvDR.jpg (904.03 KiB) Viewed 5656 times

Return to “Gallery”