"Your Fab Five" Keyboard Contest (Winner Announced)

Pick your Terrific Ten (lame name)... If voting, please select your TOP 10 end game boards

Poll ended at 03 Jan 2017, 12:01

"75%+1" Danger Zone (with magnetically detachable number pad)
1%
Acer KB-102A (Alps SKCM Blue)
2%
Alps Creamsicle 60% Build
0%
Alps 64 (SKCL Green)
1%
Alps AKB-3420
0%
Apple Extended Keyboard II
1%
Apple Extended keyboard m0115
1%
Apple //c (Alps SKCM Amber)
1%
Cherry ESA-3000-HASRO
1%
Cherry G80-0530
0%
Cherry G80-2000
1%
Cherry G80-3500
1%
Cherry V80-5000
1%
Cherry MX5000
1%
CHERRY MX 6.0
0%
Cooler Master NovaTouch TKL
1%
COTS ISO TKL Alps-compatible board
0%
Dactyl
2%
Data General Dasher D200
1%
DataHand Spider prototype
1%
Dolch PAC
No votes
ErgoDox EZ
0%
F-Atomic (F with planck layout)
0%
Focus FK-2001 (Black)
0%
Focus FK-2002 (Alps SKCM blue)
1%
Focus FK-555
1%
Fujitsu 1st generation leaf spring
0%
HHKB Pro BT
0%
HHKB Pro HG
1%
HHKB Pro Type-S (Hasu'd with Cookie Stickers) and a Matt3o PBT spacebar
3%
Honeywell BTRM 121C
0%
IBM 3270
1%
IBM 3278 (APL triple shots)
3%
IBM 3279-2C
2%
IBM 4705 F50
1%
IBM 4704 F62 (Kishsaver)
4%
IBM 4704 F77
2%
IBM 4704 F107
2%
IBM 5140 (SCKM Browns)
1%
IBM 5251
1%
IBM 5556-005
1%
IBM 5576-003
1%
IBM Beamspring Desktop
1%
IBM DisplayWriter (Great White Whale)
0%
IBM Model F122
1%
IBM Model F AT
3%
IBM Model F XT
0%
IBM Model M SSK 1391472
2%
IBM Model M SSK Industrial
2%
IBM Model M SSK with genuine three-button Trackpoint
1%
IBM M15 ISO
1%
IBM P70 (Alps plate springs)
1%
IBM Unsaver
2%
JD45 with Bluetooth
0%
K80CS
1%
Keyboardio Model 01
0%
Kingsaver (Alps)
2%
KMAC Mini
1%
Knight Keyboard
1%
Korean custom with Nixdorf switches, OG Cyrillic dye-subs and a red Clack
1%
Leading Edge DC-3014
1%
Leopold FC660C with 30-35g domes, Novatouch sliders, PBT spacebar, GMK, custom controller, metal case
0%
LFK78
0%
Maltron 89-series layout
1%
Maltron one-hand
0%
MiniVan with Bluetooth
0%
Model MF
5%
Monterey K-108
0%
NEC PC-9801-98-S02 (based on in compact symmetrical
1%
Nixdorf CT11
1%
Northgate Omnikey
2%
Nuclear Data with BT
0%
Optimus Maximus board with an OLED display in each key
1%
OTD 356cl
1%
OTD DKsaver Alps
1%
OTD 360 Corsa
1%
RAFI Compudent
1%
SGI granite 9500900
0%
Siemens SICOMP
0%
Sony NWS-3250
No votes
Symbolics 365407 Rev. A
1%
Symbolics Space Cadet
4%
"The Fly" keyboard (like from the movie)
0%
TGR Jane-CE
No votes
Topre Original Prototype from 1981
0%
Topre 200-key board. Proper Japanese legends, coloured keys against a beige case, JIS layout
1%
Topre Realforce 10th AE 55g
1%
Topre Realforce in tenkeyless JIS layout
1%
Topre Realforce 87U 55g uniform
2%
Topre Realforce 88UB
0%
Topre Realforce ML11K0
0%
Topre Realpoint
0%
Univac Uniscope 100 terminal
0%
VE.A with acrilic wrist rests
1%
WhiteFox
2%
XMIT Hall-Effect
2%
Z70 Mechanical Keyboard
1%
Zenith SWA 4300
0%
Zenith ZKB-2
1%
µTron (Topre)
2%

Total votes: 311

Menuhin

20 Dec 2016, 22:42

Halvar wrote: My list of ideal keyboards:
Spoiler:
1) An IBM Model M SSK in good shape
ssk.JPG
2) IBM beamspring 3278A keyboard
3) Monterey K-108 keyboard
Monterey.jpg
4) Symbolics "Space Cadet" Hall effect keyboard
5) And just for the idea: the "Optimus Maximus" board with an OLED display in each key. I have no idea how this feels though, might be crappy rubberdome
It seems to me that "Optimus Maximus" appears the first time here in this thread - it definitely deserves to be mentioned. I'm curious not only about its key switch mechanism but also how the texture of its key cap feels - can roughen surface like those on PBT caps or ABS caps still allow decent display performance of these tiny OLED screens?

davkol

20 Dec 2016, 23:29

One of their keyboards used Cherry ML IIRC.

lot_lizard

21 Dec 2016, 00:55

fohat wrote:
lot_lizard wrote:
They just can't be an exact match across all 5 for anything submitted previously.
Why do you prohibit multiple people making the same choices?

If there was a single prize, then the winner could be decided by coin toss.
In the spirit "no rules", I'll buy this... but the scoring system is going to be weighted to who threw it out first. So if there is a "run-off", "2 to the power of" will be employed. So if 4 people submit duplicates, the first gets 8 lottery balls, second gets 4, third gets 2, and last gets 1. Then a random number generator will be used to generate the "lottery ball". Hopefully it doesn't come to "hanging chads", but I agree... no reason you can't like the same thing as someone else.

Menuhin

21 Dec 2016, 01:15

davkol wrote: One of their keyboards used Cherry ML IIRC.
:? :cry: :|

Well at least a proof of concept that these tiny OLED caps can be implemented on top of Cherry switches.

citrojohn

23 Dec 2016, 20:10

davkol wrote: One of their keyboards used Cherry ML IIRC.
Yep, that's the Maximus. The later Popularis was rubber-dome (and half the price).

lot_lizard

24 Dec 2016, 16:18

Just a reminder that submissions close today. Then we will vote until New Year's day, with the winner getting the following IBM AT Model F:
IMG_0159.JPG
IMG_0159.JPG (2.25 MiB) Viewed 5497 times

Ray

24 Dec 2016, 16:59

here's mine:
  • µTron
  • IBM M15
  • MF SSK
  • Dactyl
  • Dunno, something split with Alps switches without conventional stagger.

photekq
Cherry Picker

25 Dec 2016, 05:19

Saw this in the nick of time! In no particular order :

OTD 356CL
Spoiler:
The custom to end all customs. This is one of the very few keyboards I'm still trying to get my hands on, but my chances are nearly non-existent; no keyboard is more sought after, and the price at which these are sold reflects that (I believe one or two have been sold for over $7500). This is the most iconic, classical design of any custom in my opinion. It never ceases to make my mouth water.

Pictures below by greatzizus & 지쟈스

Cherry ESA-3000-HASRO
Spoiler:
I now own one of these NIB, but I will include it because it took me 4 years of very involved searching to acquire it. As far as stock Cherry keyboards go, this is the prettiest in my opinion. A standard, minimal G80-3000 base with the extravagant, beautiful ANSI dyesubs with cyrillic lettering. This is the most decadent Cherry keyboard. Now that I own one I can tell you that pictures don't do it justice.

Pictures below by me & litster

Cherry MX5000
Spoiler:
My reason for including this is quite simple : it offers the best typing experience that I've tried. Stock. The only modification I would do to this keyboard is clipping the stabilisers. The switches (vintage browns) are magical straight out the box, the wrist rests are perfectly shaped, and the way in which it tents is effective, clean and smart. While many people find it to be an ugly/odd looking keyboard, I think it's one of the most aesthetically pleasing out there.

Pictures below by webwit & Nova

Cherry G80-2000
Spoiler:
The most obscure, rare and awesome Cherry keyboard. I don't really need to say much about it. Just look at it. The only things I would call attention to are it's Cherry logo esc row key, which is perhaps my favourite single keycap of all time, and the fact that only a handful have been found. I'm fortunate enough to own one (thanks to sixty), but I'm always on the lookout for one in better condition. Read more about it here

Pictures below by me, sixty & Cherry. I should note that the last picture is from a Cherry brochure - it seems to be a newer version, one which has not yet been found by a collector to my knowledge. Interesting nonetheless.

IBM Industrial SSK
Spoiler:
I'm not usually the biggest IBM fanboy, but there is something about this one. It's the definition of desirable. Simple, bold. A more menacing take on the classic. Nothing else needs to be said.

Picture below by ripster

Honorable mentions :

Cherry G81-3000/3004SAT
Spoiler:

Cherry G81-3000SAA
Spoiler:
Various IBM beamsprings
Spoiler:
I had these in there to begin with, but removed them PURELY because of their size. It's absurd, and verging on unusable. The switches are the greatest I have ever tried though.
Last edited by photekq on 25 Dec 2016, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.

richfiles

25 Dec 2016, 08:45

"75%+1" Danger Zone (with magnetically detachable number pad)
Spoiler:
Keyboard_DZ_75+1_Top.jpg
Keyboard_DZ_75+1_Top.jpg (411.13 KiB) Viewed 5431 times
Keyboard76_NP_DZ_Split.jpg
Keyboard76_NP_DZ_Split.jpg (309.82 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
Keyboard76_NP_DZ_Join.jpg
Keyboard76_NP_DZ_Join.jpg (419.39 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
This is my baby. My 75%+1 Danger Zone keyboard, with magnetically detachable number pad. Custom plates, hand wired, magnetically detachable number pad, cherry wrist rests, dyed gateron blue switches (with green springs on select keys). I have spent the past year building this. Only recently got the plate for the number pad, and am working on finishing it shortly, maybe this week even. I wanted a compact keyboard that made no sacrifices, and would take standard base key cap sizes. The solution was a 75% keyboard with one additional column set to the right side. This allows all standard size shifts and modifiers to be used, with a standard inverted T arrow arrangement, and provides 88 keys... Basically a TKL base key cap set, plus an artesian key. The number pad adds the convenience of easy numeral entry, plus an array of extra function keys that can be assigned. The main keyboard has basic page navigation, arrows, numbers, functions, and volume controls, along with a media eject key. Snap on the magnetic number pad, and a repurposed Apple MagSafe connector connects a port expander to the Teensy 2.0 inside the main keyboard. The result is a massive 122 key beast of a keyboard that holds nothing back. Pull off the number pad, and the keyboard is smaller than a TKL, and will fit nicely in a recess in the Kerbal Space Program controller/instrument panel that I'm building into my desk. This gives me keyboard access, and convenient access to joysticks and toggle controls on either side, plus meters, a navball (FDAI), and digital readouts on a vertical panel behind the controls. I have a set of typewriter key caps and black plates of identical design, for a future "Typewriter" version of this keyboard.
Apple //c featuring Alps SKCM Amber switches
Spoiler:
AppleIIcKeyboard.jpg
AppleIIcKeyboard.jpg (502.38 KiB) Viewed 5431 times
This is the keyboard assembly salvaged from the extended memory revision of the Apple //c. It features Alps SKCM Amber switches, which are, by far, my favorite switch of all time. I intend to make it into a small bluetooth keyboard, with a tiny thumb operated trackball in the corner. Nothing in the MX line, by Cherry or any other brand, feels even remotely close to the feel of these keys. They have the most satisfying tactile feel, and the most satisfying sound... I can't describe the feel... Like a crunch, but solid and sudden... Not actually crunchy, maybe almost like a "sprung clunk"... I don't even know! Words don't describe tactile feels very well. I have a Chicony keyboard with Aristotle switches. It is nice, but still doesn't compare... And the only reason that's not on this list, is I've never taken pictures of it. Yet. Also, ignore the icky, mushy Logitech keyboard... That's what is getting replaced! :roll:
Apple Extended Keyboard II
Spoiler:
Keyboard75_FullCompare.jpg
Keyboard75_FullCompare.jpg (739.63 KiB) Viewed 5431 times
Sorry for the obscured view of this Apple Extended Keyboard II. I was comparing custom plates for the above Danger Zone keyboard to it. Sorry, no bananas were used for scale, but the keyboard (sadly) is as yellowed as a banana, so I figured it could substitute for scale. I have not had an older Mac in operation for a while, except for my Twentieth Anniversary Mac, and it has it's own keyboard that matches it's style. As a result, this one has sat for quite some time.
Univac Uniscope 100 terminal
Spoiler:
Keyboard.jpg
Keyboard.jpg (254.17 KiB) Viewed 5431 times
I got this keyboard a few years ago. It was from a Univac Uniscope 100 terminal. Don't have the rest of the terminal, just the keyboard. I had considered mounting this to the Kerbal Space Program controller I'm building, but instead opted for the recessed area for the Danger Zone keyboard mentioned above.
(I wish I had a) Space Cadet
Spoiler:
Space-cadet.jpg
Space-cadet.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 5431 times
This is the one keyboard in this list I do NOT have. It's such an amazing keyboard! I'd love to add it to my collection!
Last edited by richfiles on 28 Dec 2016, 01:24, edited 1 time in total.

kevinhou

25 Dec 2016, 18:28

I am new here. I only have 2 keyboards now. Could I post the keyboards here?

fohat
Elder Messenger

25 Dec 2016, 18:49

kevinhou wrote: I am new here. I only have 2 keyboards now. Could I post the keyboards here?
Your choices can include "wish list" items.

kevinhou

25 Dec 2016, 19:21

Thanks fohat.

-Dolch Pac
-SGI granite 9500900
Wish list
-IBM Model F AT
-IBM 3279 with black panel
-IBM SSK

Harshmallow

26 Dec 2016, 16:35

I know I'm too late for this, but wasn't around much during the holidays. Here are my five anyway:
  1. My first is my Heath Zenith SWA 4300 - I just love the look, the layout, the keycaps and the feel of the low profile ITW switches - they feel like what a mechanical version of Topre would feel like - ie: firmer landing and a wonderful noise. And that badge - that badge is the best looking thing I've ever seen on a keyboard!
    Spoiler:
    20161222_191835.jpg
    20161222_191835.jpg (3.8 MiB) Viewed 5366 times
  2. My second pick is the Model F AT - I've always loved IBM and my model M, but I still don't have an F and absolutely need to try these switches at their best. My consolation for missing this contest is that I will get to order a new model F77 though :)
    Spoiler:
    ModelFAT.jpg
    ModelFAT.jpg (503.71 KiB) Viewed 5354 times
  3. My third pick would be the Topre uTron ergonomic keyboard. I've always wanted to really try to get familiar with an ergo keyboard, but I've never liked the half-assed examples from Microsoft/Logitech and this one truly looks like it was designed and engineered properly - the fact that it has my second favorite switch doesn't hurt either hehe.
    Spoiler:
    utronkb.jpg
    utronkb.jpg (113.8 KiB) Viewed 5354 times
  4. a NIB Gold Badge Omnikey - because I still haven't tried blue Alps, and I'm confident I will like them. Also because the Northgate is IMO the best looking Alps board and is sturdy/well built to boot.
    Spoiler:
    Northgate 102 Gold Label.jpg
    Northgate 102 Gold Label.jpg (54.9 KiB) Viewed 5354 times
  5. My last pick is the IBM 3278 Beamspring board. That loud AF noise is what I picture the typists in heaven sounding like if God had a mailroom. Oh, and make it either PS/2 or USB modded so that I can use it =D
    Spoiler:
    IBM3278.jpg
    IBM3278.jpg (39.89 KiB) Viewed 5354 times

chuckdee

26 Dec 2016, 17:21

My Choices include:

JD45 with Bluetooth (which I already have :) - just need a new case. I like the current one, but it's a bit unfinished)
Spoiler:
(Bottom right in the picture)

MiniVan with Bluetooth (which I don't have, and don't think I'll create)
Spoiler:
Z70 Mechanical Keyboard
Spoiler:
Whitefox (need to finish building it)

LFK78 (working on it... still need to get the case done and negotiating with case guy - going for bent case with acrylic bottom)
Spoiler:

Menuhin

26 Dec 2016, 17:26

kevinhou wrote: Thanks fohat.

-Dolch Pac
-SGI granite 9500900
Wish list
-IBM Model F AT
-IBM 3279 with black panel
-IBM SSK
Despite only 2 you have there, they're some of the iconic keyboards already!

lot_lizard

27 Dec 2016, 11:15

Hey guys... sorry for the delay. All of the submissions were added to the second overall post, but I am having some issues in regardless to the format with the polling. Working out with our leaders to see what the possible formats can be. Voting will start soon, and I will make another post letting everyone know the polls are open.

lot_lizard

27 Dec 2016, 12:19

Our leaders were nice enough to bump our poll options to 100 at least for the time being, and I was able to pair the listing down to 100 (we had more). If you were more granular in some of your original picks than the option listed (say zslane had a white space cadet and black space cadet as separate choices), you will receive votes for anything I consolidated (in the space cadet example, zslane will get 2 votes for a space cadet pick).

So for the voting, and this is on the honor system (all in fun), but I ask that you pick your TOP 10 boards. I am hoping those that would have submitted their "Fab Five" would pick those, plus 5 additional. This is not a hidden results poll, so feel free to track progress. Don't be a lame duck and ONLY vote for your original submission (otherwise this is pointless)... pick all 10 please if voting unless you REALLY only desire a subset.

Thanks again for the participation. It was a fun list to go through. Again... the 2nd OP has details if you are looking for pictures. I have a PHP script I put together that will process these results for me if you are wondering how we match it back up to the original submissions (it's tested and works).

Since this started a couple of days late, lets say the voting runs until 2017-01-03

marijan

27 Dec 2016, 12:40

Too bad the Knight keyboard didn't make it into the top 100. I guess I'll have to vote for little Space Cadet, then. :D

lot_lizard

27 Dec 2016, 12:55

marijan wrote: Too bad the Knight keyboard didn't make it into the top 100. I guess I'll have to vote for little Space Cadet, then. :D
Actually it should have been... I certainly would have bumped MOST things on this list for it myself :). Just went back through and your's and Orpheo's submissions were skipped (only ones... others were consolidated down). I did most of this on plane rides, but that is still a silly oversight that shouldn't have been made.

Again... apologize to you both, and will see what makes the most sense to make right. I'll PM

Ray

27 Dec 2016, 13:10

You have AEKII and Apple Extended Keyboard II 8[

lot_lizard

27 Dec 2016, 13:13

Ray wrote: You have AEKII and Apple Extended Keyboard II 8[
haha... pause the poll then. We'll get Knight in there as well along with Orpheo's. If you voted, sorry, you will need to revote then. Give me a few minutes

lot_lizard

27 Dec 2016, 13:24

Knight is in the poll now... I will reach out to Orpheo. He's out of the luck I'm afraid since we have enough votes in now that I really don't want to reset. AEKII screw-up is corrected as well.

EDIT: Adding the Knight in and getting rid of the AEKII shuffled a couple of my votes around a bit. If you previously voted, just verify if you would.

alh84001
v.001

27 Dec 2016, 13:51

Voted. I placed 9 "real" votes, and one that would otherwise not make it, but it makes sense considering the prize :) MF had to suffer for it, but I disqualified it outright since I know the only reason for the contest is to have it be on top. I'm onto you! :)

lot_lizard

27 Dec 2016, 14:12

alh84001 wrote: Voted. I placed 9 "real" votes, and one that would otherwise not make it, but it makes sense considering the prize :) MF had to suffer for it, but I disqualified it outright since I know the only reason for the contest is to have it be on top. I'm onto you! :)
hahaha... BUSTED!!! Not at all. Blame the other yahoos for submitting it. I do kinda hope in the end it goes to one of you MF'ers though so I can maybe squeeze it in the box without having to fork out more for shipping :lol:. Happy to see it go anywhere though

photekq
Cherry Picker

27 Dec 2016, 16:12

Hey, it's worth noting that 'Cherry MX5000' and 'Cherry G80-5000' are the same thing. They're just different variations on the name - MX5000 being the model number, G80-5000 being the start of the article number.

lot_lizard

27 Dec 2016, 16:15

photekq wrote: Hey, it's worth noting that 'Cherry MX5000' and 'Cherry G80-5000' are the same thing. They're just different variations on the name - MX5000 being the model number, G80-5000 being the start of the article number.
I wondered that, but assumed the G80 must be the grandfather to the MX5000. We will consolidate those two then when we wrap up. Thanks for pointing out.

webwit
Wild Duck

27 Dec 2016, 16:24

The first nominee shows a picture of the label of the V80-5000, not the G80-5000.

V80-5000:

vs G80-5000:

wiki/Cherry_V80-5000

lot_lizard

27 Dec 2016, 16:55

Appreciate you fixing the poll option Webwit. Just curious, how does the "ergo experience" compare to the M15? The switches and adjustment mechanics themselves are obviously different, but curious more about the usefulness of the spacebar extension and just general build quality between the two. I know the timing of both were very similar.

Muirium
µ

27 Dec 2016, 19:11

Solid lineup, but I'm wincing at the needless fragmentation in the Realforce vote. Jill Stein's already warming up her rules lawyers!

Anyway, a handful of unimportant "ermmn, actually, turns out" notes about my own nominations:
  • My HHKB Pro Type-S does indeed star a Matt3o PBT spacebar. But it's neither Hasu'd nor Cookied (yet). Been too busy to even apply the stickers! Don't know if I'll ever replace the controller though. That little gem is in constant action and I can't bear the idea of screwing it up!
  • I nominated the IBM Model M SSK in general. Don't know which if any of mine are 1391472. Half a world away from them to check… In any case, I consider the industrial to be the same keyboard. A mere colour scheme choice does not a whole other entrant make. I didn't specify white or black Realforce or HHKB now did I!
  • My SSK nomination mentioned Model F insides, so it totally counts for all those craven Model MF votes.
Anyway, fantasy keyboard drafts is something I never considered. And having the votes live and free to see makes it much more entertaining for all of us scheming tactical cheaters! Good choice!

webwit
Wild Duck

27 Dec 2016, 20:15

lot_lizard wrote: Appreciate you fixing the poll option Webwit. Just curious, how does the "ergo experience" compare to the M15? The switches and adjustment mechanics themselves are obviously different, but curious more about the usefulness of the spacebar extension and just general build quality between the two. I know the timing of both were very similar.
The spacebar extension is only mildly useful, I don't tend to hit my thumb into the area it extends to. These boards are both "cheapenings" of former build quality, for cheap mass-production. The M15 is built according to the M2 philosophy, although the case is better than the M2. Both the M15 and the G80-5000 are made of thin plastic with modest, simple insides. But the M15 still is better and sturdier. If it wasn't Cherry and wasn't ergonomic, the G80-5000 could be like a $10 Taiwanese keyboard that went with PCs at the time. Only thing that Cherry did and IBM didn't is make a special switch for it (the MX Brown).

Return to “Keyboards”