IBM Model M bolt mod question

evoman

31 Dec 2016, 15:56

Hi All -

Just a quick question - how does one know when your Model M has broken rivets and needs to be bolt modded? I have two Model Ms and both seem to work okay, but I keep reading that the rivets break regularly and they tend to need to be fixed. I assume they keyboards I have are therefore fine, but I can also imagine it is possible that there have been broken rivets for a long time and I therefore don't know what a fully functional keyboard should actually feel like!

thanks for any input

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

31 Dec 2016, 16:08

The only way to know for sure is to take them apart. Its not difficult, all you need is a deep-well 7/32 socket.

alh84001
v.001

31 Dec 2016, 16:44

If you don't have that kind of socket, and until you acquire it, you can try and shake the keyboard, or rotate it. If you hear some rattling sound moving in the case, those are probably broken-off rivets.

chzel

31 Dec 2016, 19:39

Just for the record, the socket needed is metric, 5.5mm

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

01 Jan 2017, 02:48

chzel wrote: Just for the record, the socket needed is metric, 5.5mm
7/32 imperial socket is also the right size.

fohat
Elder Messenger

01 Jan 2017, 04:55

mike52787 wrote:
chzel wrote:
Just for the record, the socket needed is metric, 5.5mm
7/32 imperial socket is also the right size.
This is Reagan-era US gear, 7/32" is official and 5.5mm is extremely close. Just make sure that it is "long" and "thin-walled".

As to the actual question, a bolt-mod is not needed unless the action of the keyboard has been impaired. Likely there will be an area that starts to feel mushy or rattles when certain keys are struck as rivets continue to break loose.

It will fail when the plates are separated to the point where the pivot plates move out of their sockets and refuse to activate.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

01 Jan 2017, 11:03

Yes, it should look something like this. I remember someone here improvising one by melting a piece of plastic, I would not recomend that.
IMGP4430.JPG
IMGP4430.JPG (947.57 KiB) Viewed 4729 times

evoman

02 Jan 2017, 14:20

Thanks for all the comments. I gave it a good shake and don't hear anything. I don't feel like there is a problem, but I also don't know whether it should feel any different than it does (like more solid or with less rattle).

I'll wait to open it up until I get around to actually committing to the bolt modification at some point.

clickykeyboards

03 Jan 2017, 16:37

Note, while shaking the model M keyboard might be an indication of broken plastic rivets, remember that many model M keyboards were used for years in real-world production environments in office and industrial settings and any number of "things" may have fallen inside the keyboard.

We regularly find paper clips, staples, binder clips, sewing needles, wire ties, screws, springs, bits of cut wire.. in addition to the dust, hair, paper confetti, nail clippings and Doritos snack chips that fall into "well-loved" keyboards.

We have a found a good industrial ShopVac with a HEPA filter to be indispensable in the first steps to restoring model M keyboards.
Attachments
raw, unrestored model M keyboard internals with dust
raw, unrestored model M keyboard internals with dust
10497241_10152541888826203_7779429002580046974_o.jpg (266.87 KiB) Viewed 4667 times

fohat
Elder Messenger

03 Jan 2017, 16:44

clickykeyboards wrote:
any number of "things" may have fallen inside the keyboard
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... ard%20chow

evoman

03 Jan 2017, 22:16

I feel lucky to have owned both of my Model Ms from new - though I wouldn't be surprised if there is still a fair amount of lint hiding inside (but no paperclips or other macro items)

micrex22

03 Jan 2017, 22:48

clickykeyboards wrote: We regularly find paper clips, staples, binder clips, sewing needles, wire ties, screws, springs, bits of cut wire.. in addition to the dust, hair, paper confetti, nail clippings and Doritos snack chips that fall into "well-loved" keyboards.
All of that lint and chow is actually a 'feature' to act as dampening instead of O-rings ;)

Chyros

03 Jan 2017, 23:59

The M I bolt-modded was basically up to the edge of its barrels in board chow and had half a dozen dead spiders and flies in it. That was a fun project, though.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

04 Jan 2017, 02:50

Regardless of the amount of broken rivets, they will break one day and a bolt mod does create a more solid feel for the keyboard. In the long run, it's a good decision.

Arakula

05 Jan 2017, 18:42

Cleaned up my ex's one some years back only to find the needles of what must have been half a christmas tree in it. I'll never find out how she did that.

evoman

06 Jan 2017, 12:53

vivalarevolución wrote: Regardless of the amount of broken rivets, they will break one day and a bolt mod does create a more solid feel for the keyboard. In the long run, it's a good decision.
Is there a good tutorial to follow? The main thing I need to figure out is which bolts are optimal for the job. I have seen some photos of the process, but am not confident I could get it all to work right.

I was also thinking I could do my M13 at the same time, and for that one it would probably make sense to try to do a modification to USB - but I am not sure where to start with that (and whether it would work okay on an M13).

alh84001
v.001

06 Jan 2017, 13:02

Here's one - workshop-f7/ibm-model-m-screw-nut-and-b ... t9169.html

The necessary bolts/nuts/screws are pictured at the end of first post.

THATGUY69

20 Jan 2017, 22:02

Hey just a quick question, I just did a bolt mod and Im curious about how tight the bolts need to be, Do i need to just gently tighten them down or do i really need to hammer them?

fohat
Elder Messenger

20 Jan 2017, 23:11

THATGUY69 wrote: Hey just a quick question, I just did a bolt mod and Im curious about how tight the bolts need to be, Do i need to just gently tighten them down or do i really need to hammer them?
Gently! Hold the socket in your fingers and make it barely "finger tight"

Remember that you are just replacing little plastic rods with steel screws.

evoman

21 Jan 2017, 23:12

alh84001 wrote: Here's one - workshop-f7/ibm-model-m-screw-nut-and-b ... t9169.html

The necessary bolts/nuts/screws are pictured at the end of first post.
Thanks for the help

ShivaYash

27 Jan 2017, 21:07

screwmod is also worth considering... I have this on my SSK daily driver. Its a board for life.
much easier than bolts.

Return to “Keyboards”