Varmilo VA68M

DrOpBoX

08 Jan 2017, 19:37

Hi guys. This is my review for my Varmilo VA68M arrived 1 week ago. I organized a groupbuy directly from Varmilo with some Italian friends and finally we have this fantastic keyboard in hand.
I want to thank all Varmilo stuff, especially Chyntia, for great great support and for a lot of funny chat!
They are really helpful and pleasant!

First impression? Just WOWOWOWOWOWOWOOWOW :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
So let`s start! 8-)

Package & Bundle

So impressive, we receive the keyboard in a beautiful white matte box with chromatic glossy Varmilo logo. Inside you can find a lot of stuff, different for any bundle that I ever opened:
- keyboard
- cable
- key-puller
- manual
- some spare switch
- PVC cover

Build quality & alu case

Overall the quality is super high, no words are necessary. The keyboard is sturdy, heavy, not a minimum defect on the case and on the plate. I wanna specify that all the keyboard are built hand by hand, you make the order and they send to builders with your specific request (color of the case, keycaps scheme, switch, led ecc…). For example for all this 7 keyboard we don`t want the logo in front and the circle on WIN key like all community are searching (thumbs up minimal design).

The case is closed with 8 screw and is really really solid, no bend, no twist, no weird sound…and take a look inside! The PCB is perfect for me, no residue, no dust, no defects. These guys did a great job! BTW I was expecting something like that from this Company!

There are 4 feet, that make really stable on the desk and don’t allow movement around. The little leg can raise your keyboard to improve the comfort.

In our group we can compare to Leopold FC660M, Varmilo V87, Corsair K90, Sharkoon MK80, Ducky mini YOTH, Novatouch, Leopold FC750R, Razer Blackwidow and nothing is like this. We are really satisfied!

The basic choose for alu case are space grey, silver, electric blue and now other color (anodization) like pink, gold are coming. They are also developing new case with some different material like zinc and magnesium. This company is growing so well, need just more market outside Asia…the custom fee is the main problem.

Keycaps & Stabs

The keycaps are PBT dye sub, they are well finished, no defects, thick and the porosity is perfect for me. I can spend minutes just touching slowly the caps :P
I can easy compare with some IMSTO caps that I have on my other keyboard, they feel really premium!
The legend is smooth and linear and like the case, they are totally customizable in so many color and different dye sub option.
You need a lot of force for remove the keycaps, they are really precise.

(Varmilo vs Ducky mini vs Corsair)

The stab are cherry style, well lubed, smooth, really perfect sound (better than on my Leopold fc660m). If you put a thick soft pad (like that you use for clean LCD screen) the sound of typing became incredible, really near HHKB orgasm sound. {cherry brown}

Features

Since the caps are dye-sub the LED lights are a little “weird”, because the plate is frosted and the light comes out like a shadow (I enjoy this effect).
I think this choice is really good, because if you want dye sub caps you usually avoid the light, but in this case you can choose the color you want and then just turn on/off for your pleasure.
There are 4 different level of luminosity and breath mode with different speed.

Conclusion

So, why I choose this specific keyboard? And why would you choose this?
A lot of reason:
- Compact layout, but with arrow and other 4 keys
- Top quality in cherry market
- Full customizable option
- PBT dye sub stock caps
- LED
- Alu case
- Best bundle
- Upgrade of the fantastic Leopold FC660M
- It’s gorgeous :ugeek:

Some photos of Varmilo received:

Hope you enjoyed, see u next time! :mrgreen:

Daniel Beardsmore

08 Jan 2017, 22:20

The compromises that people opt with these keyboards always confound me.

See, on a 75% or similar, you can't keep the whole navigation cluster, so which keys do you keep? A lot of people put Delete on the wrong row, which is confusing if you'll be using other, larger keyboards. The Varmilo is one of the few where Delete retains its correct position. Insert is largely useless, but I'll ignore that for now.

Since you're normally able to retain four keys, which other two would you choose? Home/End, or Page Up/Down?

If you do a lot of work with text, combinations such as Ctrl+Shift+Home/End are common, and trying to form in your mind the correct press/release sequence for the Fn key when Home/End are on the Fn layer is mentally taxing. I would figure that Home/End would be physical keys, since you're more likely to press Page Up/Down in isolation.

The grey metal one does look nice though.

Alkhar

08 Jan 2017, 22:23

Hello do you have issues with the spacebar hitting on the led ?

DrOpBoX

08 Jan 2017, 22:26

Alkhar wrote: Hello do you have issues with the spacebar hitting on the led ?
No...seems perfect. Do u have this problem?

Alkhar

08 Jan 2017, 22:33

VA88M https://sendvid.com/buunjjtx does not seems normal for me, video host seems to have sync issues, preload the video.

DrOpBoX

08 Jan 2017, 22:50

Alkhar wrote: VA88M https://sendvid.com/buunjjtx does not seems normal for me, video host seems to have sync issues, preload the video.
It doesn`t work =( I have internet limited here, so maybe is my problem.

Alkhar

08 Jan 2017, 23:24

Sorry cant upload it in an other place for the moment, likely hitting because of the 3mm led. Apparently switching to 1.8mm wont cause issues with any set even the one with more inner profile.

Return to “Reviews”