Availability of JIS 60% keyboards

amospalla
let's go

25 Sep 2016, 22:29

Hey guys,

I've been using the JIS layout exclusively for so long that I don't remember when I started with it. The question is that I only have Topre keyboards with this layout and I am already so productive with it that I can't use any other of my ISO keyboards like my crisp Matias or my light Cherry MX red.

I'm wondering if there is something out there like an Alps (Matias) or Cherry MX (PCB mount) project/product to buy with the JIS layout.

I don't think so but maybe somebody knows about any.

Parjánya

25 Sep 2016, 23:09

I've asked about JIS yesterday, and citrojohn cited a couple of models: keyboards-f2/the-oracle-answers-t49-1380.html#p330460

Not sure about 60%, though.

amospalla
let's go

26 Sep 2016, 00:27

The g80-11800 seems the good one for me for a Cherry keyboard. I can hardly find any reference to the JIS model though. I guess that won't be something used on western countries but only on Asian ones.

Altough I would not use the cursors column, a TKL would still be fine.

Parjánya

26 Sep 2016, 01:59

I'm considering getting a phantom PCB and using 7bit's layout, have you seen it? Image. The bottom row uses 1.5u keycaps, of which I have 2 blanks and two "Space" ones :-D.

y11971alex

26 Sep 2016, 03:05

How are you supposed to hit the spacebar with your right hand with that layout?

Parjánya

26 Sep 2016, 03:17

No idea, I guess you just do not? : o ).

I would put the space below M, where hyper is. That's the only place I use the spacebar.

y11971alex

26 Sep 2016, 03:40

I would need the spacebar to extend from V to N, since that's where my thumbs are during typing.

Parjánya

26 Sep 2016, 04:37

perhaps a 4u spacebar can be fitted from the blank key up to the 1u super in the middle. I don’t think a 2.5u exists, but it could be in place of control and super too.

amospalla
let's go

26 Sep 2016, 09:48

Parjánya wrote: I'm considering getting a phantom PCB and using 7bit's layout, have you seen it? Image. The bottom row uses 1.5u keycaps, of which I have 2 blanks and two "Space" ones :-D.
That is a quite decent layout, split spacebar but I could get used to it. I guess that is only available in PCB format right?

trebb

26 Sep 2016, 10:29

amospalla wrote:
Parjánya wrote: I'm considering getting a phantom PCB and using 7bit's layout, have you seen it? Image. The bottom row uses 1.5u keycaps, of which I have 2 blanks and two "Space" ones :-D.
That is a quite decent layout, split spacebar but I could get used to it. I guess that is only available in PCB format right?
It will be difficult to find a key set with a 1.25u Return key like this. That's why I use an ISO Enter in a somewhat similar layout: workshop-f7/iso50-a-hand-wired-iso-insp ... 14538.html

citrojohn

26 Sep 2016, 12:35

amospalla wrote: The g80-11800 seems the good one for me for a Cherry keyboard. I can hardly find any reference to the JIS model though. I guess that won't be something used on western countries but only on Asian ones.

Altough I would not use the cursors column, a TKL would still be fine.
FIlco make a JIS TKL Majestouch (and a fullsize, but no Minila). The problem's getting it this side of the Pacific. Maybe Keyboard Company could get some? I always thought it odd that they sell a 108-key Filco keyset but no 108-key board to put it on...

Yes, I suspect the JIS 3600 and 11802 aren't common. (JIS seems to be confined to Japan - even the Koreans use ANSI.) I think the 3600 might be a bit newer than the 11802 - it looks like a Japanese version of the 3494, and used the same MX-Board branding.

As for 60%s...
Someone at Vortex probably wrote:JIS? As if it wasn't enough trouble squeezing in QWERTY and a Fn and a Pn, they want 3 extra keys that are only any use in Japanese? Sell 'em a programmable numpad...

pcaro

26 Sep 2016, 17:00

Not a 60% but I own a Epson Business Full Keyboard (same as HaaTa photos-f62/epson-interkx-t12737.html). Great JIS Layout, narrower than a TKL and with additional numpad.

Not using it now (loved with the SSK) so write me if interested (Me encanta encontrar españoles por aquí)

amospalla
let's go

26 Sep 2016, 17:23

pcaro wrote: Not a 60% but I own a Epson Business Full Keyboard (same as HaaTa photos-f62/epson-interkx-t12737.html). Great JIS Layout, narrower than a TKL and with additional numpad.

Not using it now (loved with the SSK) so write me if interested
Oh, what a beauty is that keyboard, but a shame it is a Topre one (a shame being Topre?) as my intention is using other switches while still being with JIS and not a full size keyboard. I only use JIS keyboards right now, and the two I own are already Topre.
pcaro wrote:(Me encanta encontrar españoles por aquí)
Si verdad? :lol:

variable

14 Feb 2017, 15:14

The phantom doesn't have the switch Mount points for the keys at the space bar though does it? I ask because I'm considering a similar layout, and if it does, or can be modified easily to do so, it would be great! { I particularly care about the [symbol] key to the right of [right shift] }

subcat

14 Feb 2017, 15:28

I saw a Compaq G80-11800 on Yahoo! Auctions a while ago in JIS with an obscene price.

Edit: here it is: http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h249547481

Phenix
-p

14 Feb 2017, 17:48

I love my clueboard!
(tough I need 2 2u SA space bars for it.)

amospalla
let's go

14 Feb 2017, 22:10

This Clueboard seems interesting, specially because they have references to JIS and Matias switches. I'll ask them.

Do them assemble it for you?

Phenix
-p

14 Feb 2017, 22:16

yea, Skully (he runs clueboard.co) also does assembly. However the shown board has wood case which I crafted myself - skully has acrylic and metal cases

Return to “Keyboards”