Desoldering station recommendations?

codemonkeymike

08 Mar 2017, 20:35

Anyone have recommendations on desoldering stations? Still in production/being sold would be better.

pomk

08 Mar 2017, 22:00

Jbc with pneumatic pump. ;)

Do you have a price range?

codemonkeymike

08 Mar 2017, 22:30

Well I do quite a bit of de soldering so 100-200USD wouldn't be unreasonable.

Parak

08 Mar 2017, 22:45

If you have an air compressor, I'd say Metcal MX-5250/MX-5251. Otherwise, Pace ST-75, Weller WR2000X, JBC DIS, or if on a budget, Hakko FR-300 (beware of clones/fakes/scams).

Edit: Fixed up a model number.
Last edited by Parak on 08 Mar 2017, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.

pomk

08 Mar 2017, 22:47

Oh, I'm not sure If I can give any advice for stuff cheaper than a hakko. :/
That jbc is nice, but it's 1500€ :))

Wodan
ISO Advocate

09 Mar 2017, 06:58

I've seen this in a video by mike565656566565665:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeSoldering-Iro ... Swal5YIP4O

It works great for switch desoldering, is by far the cheapest tool for the job I have ever seen. That's my best recommendation in 110v land. Wouldn't use that for anything more sophisticated than switch desoldering though ;)

If you are looking for a "station" the best bet is the ZD-915. That's not compatible with 110v afaik but there are similair models in the US.

Generally, for switch soldering ... don't bother with super high end soldering equipment since you're not working with fragile parts like iCs and SMD parts.

pomk

09 Mar 2017, 10:02

Wodan wrote: Generally, for switch soldering ... don't bother with super high end soldering equipment since you're not working with fragile parts like iCs and SMD parts.
True, the exception being zealios which melt like crazy in normal production environments.
:lol:

Wodan
ISO Advocate

09 Mar 2017, 10:15

pomk wrote: True, the exception being zealios which melt like crazy in normal production environments.
:lol:
:(

If someone asks me for advice and then comes back to complain he had issues with Zealios ... he didn't listen.

codemonkeymike

09 Mar 2017, 14:44

I think I found a 110v 60hz ZD-915, it is only 115USD does anyone know how it compares to the Hakko FD-300? Also the use case isn't just key switches, I do capacitor repairs quite often for friends consoles.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

09 Mar 2017, 14:52

I used the ZD-915 for quite a while before I passed it on to Goguslr ...

The only thing that bothered me about it was the time consuming way to remove the waste solder. I had times where I desoldered 3-5 full boards a night, several nights a week ...

Personally I think 115US$ is still a great price for these machines, over here in Europe you can get them for 85€ though which is pretty much amazing.

You can also get all kinds of spare parts and consumables for these things! It's ridiculous...

beltet

22 Apr 2017, 22:49

Late to the party, but I'm happy with the one I ordered:
220V AOYUE474A Vacuum Gun Desoldering Gun Suction, Aoyue 474A soldering station
http://s.aliexpress.com/vAbA7zuq
(from AliExpress Android)

The only downside is that cleaning. You need to clean it after like a 80% keyboard.

Phenix
-p

13 May 2017, 13:14

Wodan wrote:I used the ZD-915 for quite a while before I passed it on to Goguslr ...

The only thing that bothered me about it was the time consuming way to remove the waste solder. I had times where I desoldered 3-5 full boards a night, several nights a week ...

Personally I think 115US$ is still a great price for these machines, over here in Europe you can get them for 85€ though which is pretty much amazing.

You can also get all kinds of spare parts and consumables for these things! It's ridiculous...
And which station are you usng nowadays?
I am interested in one, which should ideally also be able to do SMD as well.

I prefer buying used over new..

Wodan
ISO Advocate

13 May 2017, 13:19

Phenix wrote: And which station are you usng nowadays?
I am interested in one, which should ideally also be able to do SMD as well.

I prefer buying used over new..
Weller WXD2010

Recommend that one only if you are desoldering thousands of switches...

Phenix
-p

13 May 2017, 13:33

how much did you spent?
Was thinking about an old Weller or Ersa desoldering station, as I am very impressed by the quality of the station of my father (an 15 year old Ersa soldering station which runs still well).

Return to “Workshop”