No email notification on PMs

kbdfr
The Tiproman

17 Mar 2017, 16:48

I seem not to receive email notifications on new PMs any more, or are they just extensively delayed (more than 24 hours)?

webwit
Wild Duck

17 Mar 2017, 17:53

For some reason our reverse DNS PTR record disappeared, it should work better now.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

18 Mar 2017, 08:26

Obviously fixed, thanks :D

Looks like one has to be careful not to mislay one's "reverse DNT PTR record" - whatever that may be :lol:

Rimrul

18 Mar 2017, 09:39

It's a DNS record (type PTR) that's used for reverse DNS (looking up the name of a given IP address). Some mail servers use reverse DNS to check if an E-mail is really from the person (well, mail server) it claims to be sent by.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

18 Mar 2017, 10:01

Rimrul wrote: It's a DNS record (type PTR) that's used for reverse DNS (looking up the name of a given IP address). Some mail servers use reverse DNS to check if an E-mail is really from the person (well, mail server) it claims to be sent by.
I had feared someone would try to explain that to me :lol:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

18 Mar 2017, 11:26

But don't worry you were not hacked kbdfr! :maverick:

7bit

18 Mar 2017, 12:06

kbdfr wrote:
Rimrul wrote: It's a DNS record (type PTR) that's used for reverse DNS (looking up the name of a given IP address). Some mail servers use reverse DNS to check if an E-mail is really from the person (well, mail server) it claims to be sent by.
I had feared someone would try to explain that to me :lol:
Before the postman delivers a letter to your letterbox, he phones telegraphs the sender's nearest post office to check if the sender's address really does exist. If for some reason the name plate at the sender's address has been removed, the letter can't be delivered to you.
:shock:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

18 Mar 2017, 12:16

54171607.jpg
54171607.jpg (25.43 KiB) Viewed 2985 times

Return to “Deskthority talk”