Raspberry pi

nathanscribe

04 Mar 2012, 22:38

Anybody ordered/got one yet? They sold out very quickly... I have a pre-order slot allocated as for £25 it seemed like it might be fun.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Mrinterface

04 Mar 2012, 22:45

Yes, saw that.... Waiting for it to mature more....

glossywhite

05 Mar 2012, 00:38

I want one. Looks great. Saves a whole Dell Dimension hogging my Dad's desk as an email terminal!

Half-Saint

05 Mar 2012, 07:11

I ordered one just for the kicks.

Charlie_Brown_MX

05 Mar 2012, 13:48

I’d planned to order one, but they sold out too quick. I’ll eventually get around to grabbing one, if only for more *nix noodling. They’d also make an excellent HTPC if you hooked up a big external hard-disk or two.

Miasma

05 Mar 2012, 14:17

I definitely want one. I've been following this project for some time, and am glad that they're seeing this much success.

harrison

05 Mar 2012, 15:38

my buddy has 4 on order, one of which has my name on it :D

might take a while to get here, but i'm sure by the time it does, xbmc will be polished enough that i'll have it up and running within a few hours. gonna make a great HTPC.

Lustique

05 Mar 2012, 15:55

Has anyone here thought about integrating one into a keyboard? :D

sixty
Gasbag Guru

05 Mar 2012, 15:59

I did actually. I have seen people do setups in an Arcade Stick, running Mame. There is no reason why it would not fit into a Model M or Cherry G80 case. This would be a great project.

RC-1140

05 Mar 2012, 18:34

I'm thinking of putting one into an Model M Terminal Board. Plenty of space, and some kind of a C64 clone with better graphics. And I'm absolutely looking forward to tinkering around with the ARM CPU. And there is Arch Linux for it!

Too sad I was too late, so I didn't even got to preorder one, I'm just on Farnells “Interested” list... I've been following this project half a year now, but in the important moment I missed it. Dang.

nathanscribe

05 Mar 2012, 19:54

Well I'm putting an order in this evening. Farnell say they don't have any kind of ETA so it's a case of place it, wait and pay when it's in.

harrison

05 Mar 2012, 20:08

sixty wrote:I did actually. I have seen people do setups in an Arcade Stick, running Mame. There is no reason why it would not fit into a Model M or Cherry G80 case. This would be a great project.
my buddy plans on doing a dedicated MAME build with his too. i'm interested in having mine do double-duty, it wouldn't get much use playing games for me though.

Charlie_Brown_MX

06 Mar 2012, 10:11

RC-1140 wrote:I'm thinking of putting one into an Model M Terminal Board. Plenty of space, and some kind of a C64 clone with better graphics. And I'm absolutely looking forward to tinkering around with the ARM CPU. And there is Arch Linux for it!
That’s a great idea. There are some 122-key IBM Terminal keyboards on eBay UK just now for £100 apiece, and they would make a great housing for it. I’m just not sure how to go about converting it for use with the Raspberry Pi. From what I’ve read about this keyboard it doesn’t appear to be very straightforward.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

06 Mar 2012, 10:36

You could always just add a teensy with the Terminal -> USB protocol converter from Soarer. There is enough space in the box after all!

nathanscribe

06 Mar 2012, 11:02

Farnell aren't publicising their delivery dates, but my pre-order email suggests May. They must have been swamped!

Isn't 100GBP rather a lot for a terminal board? I paid a fraction of that not too long ago.

Charlie_Brown_MX

06 Mar 2012, 11:42

nathanscribe wrote:Isn't 100GBP rather a lot for a terminal board? I paid a fraction of that not too long ago.
Most likely. I just quickly bashed “terminal keyboard” into eBay’s search and it was one of the results. Where did you get yours from?

nathanscribe

06 Mar 2012, 12:52

eBay. :-) Just some random seller who had two on cheap BIN. Can't recall the model number, but I posted pics around here somewhere.

Trent

06 Mar 2012, 14:30

Mrinterface wrote:Yes, saw that.... Waiting for it to mature more....
Same here.

RC-1140

06 Mar 2012, 15:29

Here in Germany there is a ebay.de seller who sells 122 Key Terminal Model Ms for around 25€. And a teensy or something similar would be necessary anyway, as the RPi has no PS/2. I wonder, whether a selfbuild Teensy clone with an ATMega32U4 would be sufficient for Soarer's firmware. Does anyone know, if the teensy is different from the stock ATMega in more than just the bootloader and the PCB it is mounted on? Could I just flash the Firmware to a stock one?

Icarium

06 Mar 2012, 15:32

The Teensy contains no magic whatsoever you could easily make a clone but I'm not sure what the purpose of that would be. Do you want to integrate it in some PCB design?

RC-1140

06 Mar 2012, 17:20

Actually I'm member in a hackerspace, where we are currently working on creating something similar, so this way it would be much cheaper, and I wouldn't need to order another one from the US. This shipping takes a lot of time.

ripster

06 Mar 2012, 20:52

Clicked on Rasberry Pi thread.

Expected food.

Or math.

Or at least tequila:
FLA_4100.jpg
FLA_4100.jpg (582.26 KiB) Viewed 5836 times

rodtang

08 Mar 2012, 01:27

koralatov wrote:
nathanscribe wrote:Isn't 100GBP rather a lot for a terminal board? I paid a fraction of that not too long ago.
Most likely. I just quickly bashed “terminal keyboard” into eBay’s search and it was one of the results. Where did you get yours from?
I quickly checked ebay.de 24€ BIN, still 5 left.

Iknorite

08 Mar 2012, 20:19

Wouldve made a nice htpc. Too bad I already got a popcorn hour.

Maarten

08 Mar 2012, 21:18

Lustique wrote:Has anyone here thought about integrating one into a keyboard? :D
Actually...... i have ;)

One of two things can happen, either i decide this keyboard i made is too thick and ill teensy it and make it very nice and slim.... OR i decide i dont mind the bulkiness and ill toss a Pi inside the case (i actually left enough room in there for the Pi, thank you raspberrypi.org for letting me know the exact layout and dimensions WAAAAY in advance!)

nathanscribe

28 May 2012, 15:55

Well, the Raspberry Pi turned up today! I can't report back on it yet as I need an SD card, mini-USB power supply, and some time downloading and installing an OS of some kind - Debian/Python combo recommended for starters, so we'll see how that goes as I'm not familiar with either. Will probably grab a supply and SD card later in the week, and will post something more concrete when I get chance.

Maarten

28 May 2012, 18:56

JEALOUS!! I want want SOOO badly....

dirge

28 May 2012, 19:12

Prices on eBay are disguising.

Half-Saint

29 May 2012, 15:54

yaaay for ebay resellers! opportunistic basterds!

REVENGE

30 May 2012, 07:39

My Pi shipped today. Maybe I should bundle it with an SSK for extra $$$.

Return to “Off-topic”