A new US Republican thread 2016

adhoc

26 Mar 2017, 01:44

No, but I do have one in mechanical engineering - non linear thermodynamics and fracture mechanics. I will absolutely not link it, because I will not expose my private data and it's locked for security reasons anyway, because it was a research & development thesis for the industry. Americans bought it for quite a sum. You wouldn't understand it anyway, because it's WAY above your level of comprehension or aptitude.

But please, tell me once again how you're smarter based on what your circle jerk is telling you.

EDIT: Actually, it's a very good chance you're using the technology I developed for my thesis.
Last edited by adhoc on 26 Mar 2017, 01:46, edited 2 times in total.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

26 Mar 2017, 01:44

chuckdee wrote:
webwit wrote: We did stop replying, but the retard returned. FFS. How nice for you that your favorite media manages to outrage you just like Fox manages for another demography. But why take your news links here of all places? The mind boggles.
Keep not replying. And not visiting. It's one thread. Does one thread bother you that much? You can't dictate how he's going to act. But you can dictate how you're going to act. And right now, you don't really have the high ground, sweetums.
Chuck-D1.jpg
Chuck-D1.jpg (344.96 KiB) Viewed 5707 times
chuck_d.jpg
chuck_d.jpg (65.68 KiB) Viewed 5707 times
Chuck-D_credit_Sascha-Niethammer-1.jpg
Chuck-D_credit_Sascha-Niethammer-1.jpg (199.37 KiB) Viewed 5707 times

jacobolus

26 Mar 2017, 01:48

adhoc wrote: No, but I do have one in mechanical engineering - non linear thermodynamics and fracture mechanics.
I’m amazed. I’ve never met such an aggressively childish Ph.D engineer face-to-face, so willing to talk big and so afraid of evidence and logical argument. I guess there’s room for all kinds in the world.
Last edited by jacobolus on 26 Mar 2017, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.

adhoc

26 Mar 2017, 01:50

Yeah, we seclude idiots like you from ourselves normally.

What logical argument? Smart people, unlike you, want LESS government to prosper. You will never understand this.
Last edited by adhoc on 26 Mar 2017, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Mar 2017, 01:51

chuckdee wrote: I mean in this thread and your behaviour. You're calling out jacobus left and right. But you're here too, spewing invectives with him.
What exactly are your expectations? That some guy can disrespect the entire forum by endlessly talking to himself with his daily news link posts, and then be asked if he would pretty please, with flowers, stop it? I'm pretty sure that has been tried before and he didn't give a fuck. I'm just telling it like it is, he should quit this crap and go away, go spam the My Little Pony forum if you're looking for the wrong battleground. Of course his condition will probably strengthen his persistence of being a deaf asshole on the entirely wrong forum, but that's another story.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

26 Mar 2017, 01:55

I propose an IQ score comparison. Highest score owns the thread. I'm somewhere in the 130s. I am sure others are higher than me.

Go!

jacobolus

26 Mar 2017, 01:59

I suspect my 7-month-old son’s IQ is probably higher than anyone chatting recently here. He can say “ya ya ya” and knows how to clap, yank the dog’s tail, drop food on the floor, and flail his arms. He’s also quite smiley and polite to strangers.

He secretly has a unified theory of physics, composes existentialist poetry, and has a plan for the mid-east peace process. Unfortunately none of us are smart enough to figure out what he’s trying to say.

I was told by a lady in a sandwich shop that his big head is a sign of genius; she knows because her husband who works in IT is a genius, and he has a big head.

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Mar 2017, 03:09

Either you're right and your 7-month-old son's IQ is higher, or you are a retard.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

26 Mar 2017, 03:53

jacobolus wrote: I suspect my 7-month-old son’s IQ is probably higher than anyone chatting recently here. He can say “ya ya ya” and knows how to clap, yank the dog’s tail, drop food on the floor, and flail his arms. He’s also quite smiley and polite to strangers.

He secretly has a unified theory of physics, composes existentialist poetry, and has a plan for the mid-east peace process. Unfortunately none of us are smart enough to figure out what he’s trying to say.

I was told by a lady in a sandwich shop that his big head is a sign of genius; she knows because her husband who works in IT is a genius, and he has a big head.
I have a niece and nephew that are about 17 months now, and I can vaguely recall their behavior at 9 months. It's amazing how happy they are compared to the misery I encounter in adults each day. Perhaps we can could learn something from them. Maybe they do have it figured out.

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Mar 2017, 04:07

vivalarevolución wrote: Perhaps we can could learn something from them. Maybe they do have it figured out.
I never understand this. -You- were a child once. Don't you remember?

Daniel Beardsmore

26 Mar 2017, 04:09

You're sure it's not simply the bliss of ignorance?

I do wonder though — is there a difference in the happiness of children of different intelligence levels?

Although I only wanted a games console, I got an 8-bit micro, and I got over the disappointment that it wasn't anything like an Amiga, I discovered that it offered something that no child's toy ever did: it worked. It wasn't made of cynical cheapness and imagination, and it wasn't a useless consume-only product like a games console: it was true functional equipment.

I have to wonder what it must be like as a child who can run on nothing but pretence. I always needed something that really did something, and I don't mean low-resolution audio and flashing lights. Construction toys like Meccano and LEGO Technic couldn't replicate the real world sufficiently — LEGO pneumatic in particular was atrocious. There's a reason that real-world gear is more likely to be hydraulic. (Still, the rail industry did very well out of compressed air — they must know something that the rest of us don't. The new IEP trains in Britain still have air-operated doors instead of electric, too, since that's what the Japanese swear by.)

chuckdee

26 Mar 2017, 04:20

vivalarevolución wrote:
chuckdee wrote:
webwit wrote: We did stop replying, but the retard returned. FFS. How nice for you that your favorite media manages to outrage you just like Fox manages for another demography. But why take your news links here of all places? The mind boggles.
Keep not replying. And not visiting. It's one thread. Does one thread bother you that much? You can't dictate how he's going to act. But you can dictate how you're going to act. And right now, you don't really have the high ground, sweetums.
Chuck-D1.jpg
chuck_d.jpg
Chuck-D_credit_Sascha-Niethammer-1.jpg
Well played, my good man.
webwit wrote:
chuckdee wrote: I mean in this thread and your behaviour. You're calling out jacobus left and right. But you're here too, spewing invectives with him.
What exactly are your expectations? That some guy can disrespect the entire forum by endlessly talking to himself with his daily news link posts, and then be asked if he would pretty please, with flowers, stop it? I'm pretty sure that has been tried before and he didn't give a fuck. I'm just telling it like it is, he should quit this crap and go away, go spam the My Little Pony forum if you're looking for the wrong battleground. Of course his condition will probably strengthen his persistence of being a deaf asshole on the entirely wrong forum, but that's another story.
Don't you think there's a healthy amount of hyperbole in that statement? Again, it's one thread. And it's got you in a froth. And it's more than apparent that he's trolling you, and you're falling for it time and time again. Just say that this thread doesn't exist, and move on. Then, he'll have nothing to respond to, and there'll be less stress and drama all around. A few posts in an internet forum in one thread is not the end of the world.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

26 Mar 2017, 04:22

webwit wrote:
vivalarevolución wrote: Perhaps we can could learn something from them. Maybe they do have it figured out.
No. Memories are unreliable. I don't rely on them. Especially ones as far off as my own childhood.
Last edited by vivalarevolución on 26 Mar 2017, 05:07, edited 1 time in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Mar 2017, 04:31

You have bad memory. I guess this allows people to make the same mistakes over and over again, like their political voting. I remember when I was five and thought all countries and their borders were stupid, why couldn't everyone go were they liked to go, and adults were stupid for treating me like a moron. And I promised myself to never be stupid like those adults, and remember. Year after year. And in some ways my younger me was right and pure and in some ways stupid and immature. And no, you cannot "learn" from "them" if you didn't learn from yourself.

webwit
Wild Duck

26 Mar 2017, 04:33

chuckdee wrote: And it's more than apparent that he's trolling you
Don't learn me about trolling. He's a fanatic idiot, a whole different ballgame.

Mr.Nobody

26 Mar 2017, 04:53

One famous Chinese writer once said,"There are two most nasty things in this world, still men fight for them to death, one is cunt the other is politics."

This thread continues for 40+ pages,I thought it's for fun and click in to see what's going on,and found out it's for fight, I am appalled, it seems people prefer fight to fun. If fight is fun to you, then go ahead, but obviously, people get personal and seem quite enraged...

jacobolus

26 Mar 2017, 06:03

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: Construction toys like Meccano and LEGO Technic couldn't replicate the real world sufficiently
Meccano (“Erector” in the US) is pretty good for prototyping mechanical stuff, especially since kids aren’t typically allowed to operate heavy machinery.

7bit

26 Mar 2017, 10:57

webwit wrote:
Not sure what the talk is really about, but webwit is right.

Maybe your children or niece and nephew are just happy because they don't know how the real world is.
:o

To become happy as a child again, I suggest to ignore the world and just live on happily.
:evilgeek:

Mr.Nobody

26 Mar 2017, 13:22

It's a pity that politicians nowadays are merely obsessed with the game of power, with the resources and influence they possess, they could provide a helluva lot of value to human society.

7bit

26 Mar 2017, 18:10

At least here we aggree.
;-)

One big reason for reduction of freedom is to make sure (wanabe) dictators stay in place.
:twisted:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

26 Mar 2017, 18:21

Daniel Beardsmore wrote: The strange thing is, your original image said something "MODS ARE AWAY, POST PONIES", and you changed it to the Spiderman picture only after I'd selected at least most of the spider images …
That is correct, but ponies are too lame for any DT post. Of course had I known my Spiderman choice would result in this spider madness... :o :oops:

BTW I love how we at least partially took this thread offtopic...

Daniel Beardsmore

26 Mar 2017, 18:31

The change didn't result in anything; it was just an amusing coincidence.

I assume these are baby horses, not ponies, but it's the best I've got (old photos from 2008):
Real ponies.jpg
Real ponies.jpg (402.93 KiB) Viewed 5539 times
A couple of other photos from the same area:
Chicken.jpg
Chicken.jpg (622.53 KiB) Viewed 5539 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (332.93 KiB) Viewed 5539 times
It would have been funny if jacobolus was so arachnophobic that he couldn't face looking in the topic again, but I'm now increasingly convinced that "he" is a bot. A real human would have got the Alps plate spring series name by now, but "he" is trapped in an infinite loop instead and we can't find where to pull the plug.

fohat
Elder Messenger

27 Mar 2017, 02:59

I went to my favorite event of the year, the "Big Ears" music festival in Knoxville, Tennessee, and come back to my thread to find the better part of 3 pages devoted to content-free bickering and wildlife photos.

Actually, politics is quite probably the most important topic for discussion in the world, but there seem a number of people here who would like to censor it.
Attachments
Mal_Dean_Call-that-a-Balance.jpg
Mal_Dean_Call-that-a-Balance.jpg (394.92 KiB) Viewed 5507 times

Ratfink

27 Mar 2017, 03:07

It isn't that I want to censor political discussions. I like them in reasonable venues, when there are people with differing views who are actually willing to hear each other out and gain perspective. But this is a keyboard forum, and the political discussion in this thread pretty much died! It was just Jacobolus talking to himself, which was pretty obnoxious.

chuckdee

27 Mar 2017, 04:49

Ratfink wrote: It isn't that I want to censor political discussions. I like them in reasonable venues, when there are people with differing views who are actually willing to hear each other out and gain perspective. But this is a keyboard forum, and the political discussion in this thread pretty much died! It was just Jacobolus talking to himself, which was pretty obnoxious.
Again, it's one thread. If he wants to spend his time and effort doing such, what's the big deal?

Ratfink

27 Mar 2017, 05:42

It makes the forum as a whole look bad. It clutters the spy. It's helping the clickbait sites he links to get higher in search results. It's essentially spam. At least the thread became fun, and unrelated to the original topic.

seebart

27 Mar 2017, 07:21

fohat wrote: Actually, politics is quite probably the most important topic for discussion in the world, but there seem a number of people here who would like to censor it.
I don't believe there is anyone here truly trying to censor this thread, either way not to worry fohat there is no censorship at DT, especially not regarding politics. Even if only you and jacobolus continue this for another 40+ pages it won't be deleted / closed.

jacobolus

27 Mar 2017, 09:48

I promise you Ratfink that Deskthority links will have no effect on the google-juice of random news articles in mainstream newspaper websites.

I agree that someone comes out looking bad though: The US Republican Party, for instance in the state of North Carolina, where they’ve been on an un-American authoritarian rampage. There is some karmic justice in the world though. Their douchebag governor McCrory got voted out in November, State courts stomped them down, and McCrory has recently been whining that nobody will give him a job because everyone thinks he’s a bigot. Samantha Bee had some fun with that one. In uplifting NC political news, there’s a chance that the state will even accept the ACA Medicaid expansion, now that the new Governor is pushing for it and the Congressional GOP’s shit-sandwich healthcare “plan” imploded. Not sure how likely it is, as the GOP continues to reject Federal money if they think it might help some working-class people get affordable health insurance, but we can dream. Also, Federal Courts are going to let the case go forward against NC’s unconstitutional partisan gerrymandering.

seebart

27 Mar 2017, 10:22

Haha one line to all this, then straight back to the endless GOP'ing...

chuckdee

27 Mar 2017, 13:26

Ratfink wrote: It makes the forum as a whole look bad. It clutters the spy. It's helping the clickbait sites he links to get higher in search results. It's essentially spam. At least the thread became fun, and unrelated to the original topic.
One thread 'clutters' the spy and makes the forum look bad? There's more than a bit of hyperbole in that statement, I think. More likely, it annoys you seeing it in the spy. There are 25 threads in the spy, and one thread that you can just pass over isn't 'cluttering' the spy. To be clear, I'm not defending jacobus and the thread at all.

It's the reactions of the other forum members that really cause me to engage on the subject. I'm totally burnt out of the subject (really bad, when we're only 3 months into it), and yeah, seeing all of this stuff is like a wreck in slow motion. I don't want to click on it, and sometimes don't. It's annoying when it appears. The tone of the thread is annoying.

But I'd hope that we can just choose to ignore it, for however long it takes. You talk about making the forum look bad, I think that the responses to him make the forum look bad, personally.

Return to “Off-topic”