Deskthority Keyboard Party Invite for 2012 : 23 June!

7bit

28 Feb 2012, 20:07

webwit wrote:This is in the far future, but I plan to be there unless I'm dead, in prison, or on vacation.
^^^These are no reasons to not participate!!!
The 'prison' case will be a bit problematic, but not un-solvable. The other cases are easy.

I'm unsure if I will come. But I think maybe yes.

Gilgam

29 Feb 2012, 19:39

23 june :(
it's children school party :-(
too bad , i don't live so far.
Maybe the next time .

Vax

05 Mar 2012, 15:58

Ascaii wrote:Is anyone from Berlin or Brandenburg area driving over for this event? Perhaps we can work out a car sharing agreement
I think there are quite a few guys from Berlin in here (7bit). Shouldn't be that hard to get 4 guys in a car sharing together. Just start a thread in the DE forum imho.

If I can make it I will drive from Münster to Duisburg to Best. So if you want to share and are on my route just hook me up.

CeeSA

06 Mar 2012, 09:47

do we exchange little presents "wichteln"?

We should set a a trading limit per person. so we enshure, not only one person buy all the good stuff.
maybe 1000 Euro :D
And /or we set a trading order so you could only pick one thing at a time, before the other guys could make their picks :D

@Mr. Interface - could you order 3 times all from the keyboard company in commission? After the event you could send the not taken stuff back :D

sixty - do you participate? please bring some rare jewels with you!

too much coffee in the morning i think, my fantasy is exploding.

Mrinterface

06 Mar 2012, 10:18

CeeSA wrote:....
too much coffee in the morning i think, my fantasy is exploding.
Hahahaha, the tension is rising...

I hope sixty can make it. He can bring some really rare keyboard oddities for us to experience.

Rules for the event : the host gets to choose first of course, then the leftovers will be auctioned. :evilgeek:

Actually, I am fully content with the collection I have a.t.m. so I'm only looking for cheap resources of rare keyswitches/keycaps but who knows what you guys will bring....:shock:

Little presents? I might want to create some t-shirts with titles like : "DT Party 2012. I was there, where were you?" :lol:

CeeSA

06 Mar 2012, 10:32

and we need contests:
- typing
- switch change
- keycap change
- blindtest "feel the keyboard"
- blindtest "feel the keycap"

we need entertainment:
poolqueens with only keycaps on doing the "switch dance"

could we grill keycaps? a switch cocktail?

what about the lovely voice from the women in the topre video review? will she join us?
are the switch try boards and bags at home?

who will record this happening by video?

ok, maybe a little much. but don't forget the poolqueens :D

sixty
Gasbag Guru

06 Mar 2012, 10:36

Might be able to make it to this one, but its still a while off, so I can't be sure yet. What type of stuff did you guys want to see?

Mrinterface

06 Mar 2012, 11:00

@ceesa : the switch try boards and bags might be @home then. Still working on proper tracking code before sending them out. The woman from the topre video review won't be there ( sadly ). I'm still working on the poolqueens thingie ( bit expensive though :lol: ) I am thinking of writing little stories about this whilst it is happening and posting in this thread. Might also tweet it.

@sixty : I'm interested in one of those Omron switched keyboards you have and your daily driver. Regardless of what you bring, just bring yourself. The party won't be complete without you :!:

Icarium

06 Mar 2012, 11:02

sixty, going over your collection, I would love to see:

1. Cherry spacesaver mod, because I'm still trying to figure out how you got that cut so nice. :D
2. The mouseboard, just to try this weird trackpoint like mouse.
3. Any unusual switches are always great to play around with but maybe we should make a list.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

06 Mar 2012, 11:28

Icarium wrote: 1. Cherry spacesaver mod, because I'm still trying to figure out how you got that cut so nice. :D
You have to ask CeeSa about this one, he is the one that made the magic work, I just spray-painted it :D

Icarium

06 Mar 2012, 11:33

Are you saying the cut was invisible BEFORE you painted it? O_o

Edit: Errr...OT...where was the thread for that mod again :)
http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 787#p36787
Last edited by Icarium on 06 Mar 2012, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

06 Mar 2012, 11:34

Icarium wrote:Are you saying the cut was invisible BEFORE you painted it? O_o
Yes, I am pretty bad at raw toolwork such as that. I asked CeeSa if he could cut it for me and send it back. So he cut off the numpad and glued the rest back together. He did some sanding around the edges and predicted that it would likely end up being with the cut nearly invisible once painted. I sanded the cut a bit more to make it even with the rest of the case around the edges. After that I painted the keyboard twice, one with a base paint and then again in the dark gray (3 layers). It worked out really well.

Vax

06 Mar 2012, 13:32

:shock: You HAVE to bring this one holy mother of god thats epic.

Mrinterface

06 Mar 2012, 13:37

Vax wrote:
:shock: You HAVE to bring this one holy mother of god thats epic.
I couldn't agree more.....

MyNameIsFinn

08 Mar 2012, 15:26

Why must I live in NY :(

Icarium

08 Mar 2012, 16:01

Come on let us Europeans have an advantage for once! ;)

rodtang

08 Mar 2012, 17:50

Icarium wrote:Come on let us Europeans have an advantage for once! ;)
Isn't really an advantage, I'd have to swim over the ocean.

cable

16 Mar 2012, 13:46

dirge wrote:Webcam so forum members can watch / poke fun :)
Haha yeah, a livestreaming it would be hilarious!

Sounds like a cool idea though, most definitely (the event) and will probably be a lot of fun involved, especially if weed is allowed, as typing becomes somewhat special when you've gone through a few levels. ;)

Findecanor

16 Mar 2012, 23:09

I may be going, if I could get travel and accommodation and it would not cost me a fortune.
The Best that we are talking about, it is the city near (or practically part of) Eindhoven, right?

Mrinterface

16 Mar 2012, 23:25

Exactly....

GS88

03 Apr 2012, 12:18

Are there any stores in Rotterdam where you can try mechanical keyboards? I typ a lot, and my current keyboard (also looking for a mouse [do many stuff with Sketch Up/ACAD] and sometimes my hand hurts after a long time being busy with drawings) needs to be replaced, reading about these mechanical keyboards made me curious, but i want to try it first.

webwit
Wild Duck

04 Apr 2012, 00:25

I doubt you can find anything on a local level in the Netherlands beyond Steelseries and Razor and possibly only from big retailers like bol.com. If you want to try first, check out the switch try topics in Keyboards. If you don't want to wait, do some research what kind of switch you like and buy a keyboard from the Keyboard Company, which was voted for as best keyboard company of 2011 by deskthority members. They're very good, no need to worry because they aren't in your country. Then in case you really don't like it, sell it in a place like this. You'll make a loss (no longer new and shipping costs), but not a big one. Or buy something in the deskthority marketplace. Mechanical keyboards have good resale value. If you have lots of patience, visit the Dutch Keyboard party.

Gilgam

08 Apr 2012, 20:36

you can start with an old one from the market, or buy new from deutschland.
But better start posting in the market or keyboard sub-forum :-)

7bit

15 Apr 2012, 22:44

Gilgam wrote:you can start with an old one from the market, or buy new from deutschland.
But better start posting in the market or keyboard sub-forum :-)
Dont buy new, buy old!

Once you got an overpriced new Cherry board, you will buy the old stuff anyway. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about (like so many others :roll: ).

Also, don't worry which switch your first mechanical should have. You will get most of the other switches anyway.

BTW:
s/7Bit[(] maybe [)]/7bit/
:o
Last edited by 7bit on 15 Apr 2012, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Apr 2012, 22:51

Ooooh, your secretary found a free spot in your schedule?

Mrinterface

15 Apr 2012, 22:51

7bit wrote: Dont buy new, buy old!

Once you got an overpriced new Cherry board, you will buy the old stuff anyway. Beleive me, I know what I'm talking about (like so many others :roll: ).

Also, don't worry which switch your first mechanical should have. You will get most of the other switches anyway.]
Couldn't agree more...
7bit wrote: BTW:
s/7Bit[(] maybe [)]/7bit/
:o
Implemented, welcome!

BTW : Take Ascaii with you ;-)

7bit

15 Apr 2012, 22:53

webwit wrote:Ooooh, your secretary found a free spot in your schedule?
Yes, how do you know that?

webwit
Wild Duck

15 Apr 2012, 22:58

Now this is a secretary. Golden duck award.
Spoiler:
goldduck.jpg
goldduck.jpg (56.86 KiB) Viewed 4462 times

7bit

15 Apr 2012, 23:05

Even with JavaScript on, I can't see anything.
edit: OK, now I can see her.

Findecanor

05 May 2012, 17:01

Is this still on? It getting about time to order tickets and hotel room.

Return to “Keyboards”