GMK Oblivion - Group Buy LIVE till May 19th

Oblotzky

26 Mar 2017, 15:25

Group Buy is LIVE on KeyClack.com till May 19th

Hello fine folks of DeskThority!

I have posted an IC for this set over at reddit and Geekhack already earlier this week, and now that the kits have been drawn up it is time to post here as well. I would have done so sooner, but I was simply too lazy :roll:

What you will find most interesting about this GMK set is the lack of icons on the modifiers. I was not happy with how it looked with them, and after getting a 61% majority vote to ditch them in the initial round of feedback, I ditched them for good. This also includes the secondary legends on the numpad keys.

The base kits cover a lot of stuff at 159 keys total for 135$. The Monochrome addon kit will be 55$ and the Spacebars will be 15$. The set will go live shortly on the reworked keyclack.com store front.

Dedicated project page: https://oblotzky.github.io/gmk-oblivion/

The SA group-buy is unaffected and continues to be scheduled for Q3 2017 on Massdrop

Thanks for checking this out, and feel free to leave feedback!

KITS

Last edited by Oblotzky on 30 Apr 2017, 15:33, edited 4 times in total.

sixelannif

31 Mar 2017, 10:28

Hello

Do you have any plans on including those special Git keys for this GMK version ?
Oh and being new here i'm confused at the meaning of th 'GB' in the post title, does it mean GB ISO Layout or does it mean this is for GB residents only (wich would suck as I live in France and am Verry interested in these keycaps)

-- Edit: Ok, i'm an idiot, GB stands for GroupBuy. Leaving this here in case another idiot like me comes along asking the same question :D

Regards

Oblotzky

31 Mar 2017, 18:21

sixelannif wrote: Hello

Do you have any plans on including those special Git keys for this GMK version ?
Oh and being new here i'm confused at the meaning of th 'GB' in the post title, does it mean GB ISO Layout or does it mean this is for GB residents only (wich would suck as I live in France and am Verry interested in these keycaps)

-- Edit: Ok, i'm an idiot, GB stands for GroupBuy. Leaving this here in case another idiot like me comes along asking the same question :D

Regards
Hey, I'd love to do Git legends for GMK as well, but creating custom molds for GMK sets is much more expensive than for sets run through Signature Plastics. One mold is 500$, and also GMK does not use the same mold regardless of keysize, so for example shift has 4 different molds (125, 175, 225 and 275). This would bring the total to about 25 new molds or so that would need to be made, just about 12.5k $. While it is doable in a big group buy, I don't know yet how successful this set really will be. I intend to try this on a future round 2 after #1 the set exists and pushes further demand, I'm certain a second round would have much more sales than round 1, and #2 the SA group buy will have concluded till then which will give me a real insight into how much demand for Git legends there really is.

sixelannif

01 Apr 2017, 00:55

Ah ok, so that's how it is, well then I'll just go with the standard modifiers and hope for a second round some day with the git modifiers as a seperate kit that I could get my hands on.

Thanks.

priyadi

01 Apr 2017, 08:21

This is way too soon than what I expected. Is it too late for me to get a say on this? I'd love to use this on my Planck, and to have minimal Planck support, simply add a few blanks: 1 R2, 1 R3, and 4 R4s. Maybe even change the 4 R4 blanks to a colored arrow set, and at the same time provide an option for everyone else. Or put those into mono addon.

For space, you can add 2x1U and 1x2U blanks in alpha colors. I don't know about others, but I'm content using keypad 0 and 00 for that in a pinch.

Oblotzky

01 Apr 2017, 19:36

priyadi wrote: This is way too soon than what I expected. Is it too late for me to get a say on this? I'd love to use this on my Planck, and to have minimal Planck support, simply add a few blanks: 1 R2, 1 R3, and 4 R4s. Maybe even change the 4 R4 blanks to a colored arrow set, and at the same time provide an option for everyone else. Or put those into mono addon.

For space, you can add 2x1U and 1x2U blanks in alpha colors. I don't know about others, but I'm content using keypad 0 and 00 for that in a pinch.
Hey, I'm sorry to say that Planck/Ergodox is not happening in this round. I want to do it properly in the second one when the set has gained more traction.

sixelannif

01 Apr 2017, 19:46

To my unerstanding these will be sculpted in cherry profile, wouldn't that be a bit strange on a Planck?

hansichen

01 Apr 2017, 19:50

Cherry profile is awesome on a planck, I am using cherry HAD as a daily driver

Oblotzky

26 Apr 2017, 23:14

Edited the first post with updated renders and the finalized Kits. The Group Buy will go live in the next couple days on a newly designed store front for keyclack.com!

robotsokk

27 Apr 2017, 04:29

Really looking forward to this; I'll definitely be picking up a set. I didn't have this set on my radar for the longest time, then stumbled across it (at least some discussion about a potential SA run in the future), and that was the end of that. The colorway is pleasing to look at while not being too over the top (so, perfect for the office), and will look great in Cherry profile. The informational site was a good read, too.

I wish there were Ergodox support in this first round, but it's understandable that you're holding off on that for a future run.

Oblotzky

28 Apr 2017, 03:32

The GB is now live on KeyClack.com! Thanks for the support guys!

Oblotzky

30 Apr 2017, 15:16

1/3 of MoQ reached!

More renders!

Oblotzky

06 May 2017, 11:33

Bumping. With the asian proxy we are now at half MOQ in GB orders, but fear not as jchan will be buying out the remaining sets to reach the MOQ's so this set is definitely going to happen!

Oblotzky

12 May 2017, 19:24

1 Week left :)

Oblotzky

18 May 2017, 21:32

Just over one day left! GB closes May 19th midnight PST

Return to “Group buys”