Hi-Profile PBT Dye-sub (the time has come)

dux

28 Apr 2017, 11:01

I always associate those old keycaps with shiny ABS doubleshots from old typewriters. PBT is great of course, but what kind of surface will they have?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Apr 2017, 11:33

smooth sides, satin top

Shihatsu

28 Apr 2017, 12:51

consolation wrote: Lord Matt3o PUBH, please bless your most faithful and loyal 60%ers with a Two Piece 'tab' and 'caps lock' kit, so we can bathe in the goodness of base + colour kit builds; without polluting our orders with the accursed TKL modifier heresy.

Or, Lord, guide the two missing caps of 60% Matt3o to Your divine colour kits, so they can be named 60%/Colour kits, for it will be good and bring more of the faithful into Your light. The faithful will be mightily pleased to tithe a bit more to have your two missing caps in the holy kits of colour; be they Triumphant, ordinary, or full of colour.
Now THAT is what matteo deserves :D

Sythe

28 Apr 2017, 14:02

consolation wrote: Lord Matt3o PUBH, please bless your most faithful and loyal 60%ers with a Two Piece 'tab' and 'caps lock' kit, so we can bathe in the goodness of base + colour kit builds; without polluting our orders with the accursed TKL modifier heresy.

Or, Lord, guide the two missing caps of 60% Matt3o to Your divine colour kits, so they can be named 60%/Colour kits, for it will be good and bring more of the faithful into Your light. The faithful will be mightily pleased to tithe a bit more to have your two missing caps in the holy kits of colour; be they Triumphant, ordinary, or full of colour.
I pray to the Lord Matt3o as well.

I like the throw in standard caps+ tab from the other sets, something like beige in RGB and triumph in CMY sounds pretty good to me(if we can't get full colour of course)! :D

crzone

28 Apr 2017, 21:17

matt3o wrote: smooth sides, satin top
Hi matt3o, first post here, this set looks awesome! Got some DSA Blanks from China and I think I know what you mean. If it is like those it should feel great!

But I also have a few questions that I wanted to ask on MD but they would probably be lost over there:
Any chance that the novelties kits could include one "Any key" keycap for R0?
Is the "5" on the Numpad kit a deep dish? The image on MD suggest it's not but still, any chance it is?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

28 Apr 2017, 21:20

crzone wrote: But I also have a few questions that I wanted to ask on MD but they would probably be lost over there:
Any chance that the novelties kits could include one "Any key" keycap for R0?
Is the "5" on the Numpad kit a deep dish? The image on MD suggest it's not but still, any chance it is?
5 is deep dish, yes. Any key on R0 might be a good idea actually... I don't think it will be possible, though

Sythe

29 Apr 2017, 08:17

I saw someone else suggest this on Massdrop. To use novelties or blanks to fill the missing tab+caps from the colour set for a 60%, but I don't think that is possible as novelties only has a 1.75u r2/3, smalls have 1.5u r2/3 and bigs only has 1.75u r2/3 right?

Ugh, frustrating trying to figure out what I can do. Hard to commit to a set without knowing exactly what is going to be in each set. Still haven't pulled the trigger as I can't figure out whether I should just go for base+mods or not bother.
Last edited by Sythe on 29 Apr 2017, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

29 Apr 2017, 08:19

I'd say, if you don't like it as it is, don't buy it. Sorry man. I'll try to add all the keys I can, but ultimately it's MD's decision.

Sythe

29 Apr 2017, 08:34

All good, just trying to see what can be done.
I want to support it, as it is an awesome set but at the same time I have spent way too much on keyboard related stuff recently, lol. (Putting together my new Whitefox as I try make a decision on these caps :D)

Edit: Screw it, I'm in! Just went for base+mods and will have to pass on the colour kit for now :(

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

29 Apr 2017, 09:20

Sythe wrote: Edit: Screw it, I'm in! Just went for base+mods and will have to pass on the colour kit for now :(
I don't know if it's a comfort or not, but there will probably be another round to spend your money on eventually!

Sythe

29 Apr 2017, 09:31

Techno Trousers wrote:
Sythe wrote: Edit: Screw it, I'm in! Just went for base+mods and will have to pass on the colour kit for now :(
I don't know if it's a comfort or not, but there will probably be another round to spend your money on eventually!
Lol, yeh that is pretty much my thoughts. Can probably justify it to myself to spend the money later!

By then I'll be like, these triumph mods are just not colourful enough, give me CMY kit!

zslane

29 Apr 2017, 17:32

Yeah, I look forward to a future round where matt3o provides a /dev/tty Sindarin kit!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

30 Apr 2017, 09:32

holymoly... 6500 kits sold. now that is a responsibility.

A lot of work awaits in front of me, I'll do my best to not let you down.

I've been able to fix a few errors we spotted on R1 and R2, so I'm super happy about it and grateful to photek who helped with no advance notice.

I'm now trying to pick the right colors.

Triumph blue should be RAL 6027
Accent Red RAL 2001
Beige is a lighter RAL 9002

I'll get back to you in the coming days with more info.

caligo

30 Apr 2017, 10:15

6500 kits, man… Goes to show how much demand there is for sculpted keycap sets.

Managed to make the deadline by the skin of my teeth, after lots of procrastination. Those blue mods where to good to pass up, and I'm going to need a new keyboard for work sometime next year anyway. Ordered enough to populate another ISO WhiteFox. Now all I need is another ISO WhiteFox ;-)

FSund

01 May 2017, 09:04

Congrats on a very successful GB! The wait until they are here will be gruesome!

It will be interesting to see what arrives first, /dev/tty or Dasher & Dancer.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

01 May 2017, 09:19

I'll try to post as many updates as possible to keep you busy :)

FearsomeCubedWarrior

01 May 2017, 10:00

FSund wrote: Congrats on a very successful GB! The wait until they are here will be gruesome!

It will be interesting to see what arrives first, /dev/tty or Dasher & Dancer.
Well, wait is still affordable compared to SP SA backlog.
I shouldn't have participated in this GB, but eventually did.

zslane

01 May 2017, 19:00

If /dev/tty is scheduled for an October delivery, then Dasher/Dancer should ship first, by a good margin.

zslane

02 May 2017, 21:18

So, matt3o, how do the deepdish prototype keycaps compare with the final versions? Are there any differences between them?

FSund

02 May 2017, 21:35

zslane wrote: If /dev/tty is scheduled for an October delivery, then Dasher/Dancer should ship first, by a good margin.
I'm not too sure :roll:
Seems like Signature Plastics is struggling with delivering on time.

t!ng
Awake Sheep

03 May 2017, 12:14

matt3o wrote: I'm trying to give all who participated to the first run the following key:

where "tty0" represents of course "round 1"
So you're expecting to run more rounds of these?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

03 May 2017, 12:34

I suspect there will be more

cookie

03 May 2017, 13:12

If I could somehow fit these caps on my HHKB with mx sliders, that would be just fantastic!

zslane

03 May 2017, 19:25

cookie wrote: If I could somehow fit these caps on my HHKB with mx sliders, that would be just fantastic!
I bet they would.

But you'll be forced to mix and match profiles, what with all the keys >= 2u in size being either incompatible or non-existant (as in the case of the spacebar). :?

SL89

04 May 2017, 05:49

i missed it :cry:

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

04 May 2017, 06:36

SL89 wrote:i missed round one :cry:
FTFY

cookie

04 May 2017, 12:37

zslane wrote:
cookie wrote: If I could somehow fit these caps on my HHKB with mx sliders, that would be just fantastic!
I bet they would.

But you'll be forced to mix and match profiles, what with all the keys >= 2u in size being either incompatible or non-existant (as in the case of the spacebar). :?
That's what I thought as well, no 6U spacebar and I wasn't sure that the rest will fit.
I've waited almost a year for my MX to Topre sliders and now that I hold them in my hands I've no caps to put on :(

Petch

06 Jul 2017, 11:16

Any updates? :D

matt3o
-[°_°]-

06 Jul 2017, 18:10

waiting for production samples

cods

16 Jul 2017, 04:13

Thanks for the update!

Return to “Workshop”