Model MF - GB CLOSED

Pick our controller... Voting ends on Friday

The mini-xWhatsit that WCass shrunk down. It uses the same mini-controller design as Ellipse's F62/77, but with a connector meant to slip onto our PCB (inverted running parallel to the backplate)
31%
The CommonSense that DMA has recently put together. This is young yet, but has the most long term promise (not a question). It will have a very similar connector (possibly perpendicular vs. parallel slip-on mount)
69%

Total votes: 62

Darkshado

29 Apr 2017, 10:21

Perhaps a QR code of same?

Ir0n

29 Apr 2017, 23:19

I can't wait to have this thing on my desk..
The commonsense controller seems to be coming along :o I voted for it.

miloica

01 May 2017, 09:14

It's been 10 days since lot_lizard was last online. I wonder what kept him from logging in for so long, but I hope he's doing well.

drevyek

01 May 2017, 12:41

The recent lack of updates has been worrisome. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

ekeppel

01 May 2017, 12:48

I can understand the concern, but we all know that lot_lizard is a busy guy. Sometimes he has to jet off to remote places lacking decent internet service, so he can be incommunicado for a while. I wouldn't be too worried that he's ended up hanging with Soarer or anything just yet. :-)

alienman82

02 May 2017, 22:35

removed.
Last edited by alienman82 on 02 Mar 2018, 03:48, edited 1 time in total.

DMA

05 May 2017, 08:00

lot_lizard we miss you, may the 4th be with you.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

05 May 2017, 15:13

I sent lot_lizard an email the day before yesterday requesting that he post an update - any update.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

05 May 2017, 15:49

Thanks for doing that, XMIT. Every time this thread is bumped I hope it's him checking in. We might have to resort to snail mail if radio silence goes on for too much longer

giokkk

05 May 2017, 17:52

Thank you XMIT for the update!
Hope he is ok, an update from lot_lizard would be greatly appreciated.

alienman82

05 May 2017, 19:05

removed.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

05 May 2017, 19:56

So, I know that lot_lizard travels a lot for work, and gets pretty buried when he does. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and attributing lack of communication to being stretched thin. I know all too well what that is like.

If you do want a refund you should take that up with him but I'm sure he'll understand. I think he's financially stable enough to be able to offer you a refund regardless of whatever else is going on, and as you mentioned, your spot can always be sold to someone else.

Hypersphere

05 May 2017, 20:16

I sent him a PM some time ago and another PM quite recently. Still no replies. The silences on PMs and in the forum seem unlike him; in the past he has been very conscientious about updates. I will assume for the moment that he is extremely busy. I hope he is okay and will be getting back to us soon.

alienman82

05 May 2017, 23:37

removed.

Menuhin

06 May 2017, 00:14

I still believe DT is full of nicer people, and like some members told me (compared to GH), is basically harmless, e.g. to join GB etc.
I am not into M or F but I am keeping an eye on this thread, a recent iteration of the Model F project.

drevyek

06 May 2017, 00:17

My Paypal order was on November 30th; 6 months is the end of May. If he was going to pull an Ivan, his timing is a bit off.
Menuhin wrote: I still believe DT is full of nicer people, and like some members told me (compared to GH), is basically harmless, e.g. to join GB etc.
I am not into M or F but I am keeping an eye on this thread, a recent iteration of the Model F project.
Part of the reason I jumped on this GB- people are very genuine. I just don't want that trust broken.

DMA

06 May 2017, 00:26

TL;DR: Am worried because no keepalives. But have reasons to believe it's not scam.
alienman82 wrote: I am just nervous since I lost $1200 in a scam recently *another hobby
Wow, that was quite a burn. So sorry for your loss.
I'm pretty sure this project is not a scam though - ll loaned me his 5251, after all, why would he do it if he was intending it to be a scam? Also the box was bearing packing tape with MF logo on it.

I would even go as far as to offer you to buy your spot - but it's not a sensible move for the jobless man I currently am.
Don't worry, I'm 1 prototype PCB away from integration testing, that's $17 including shipping. I won't stall anyone with commonsense. And I'm pretty sure I won't need a second prototype - I'm testing my current board in conditions so awful it's hard to think of a worse way :)

__red__

06 May 2017, 01:51

Confirming DMA is doing extreme testing of the controller...

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

06 May 2017, 01:55

I'm sure he'll come back in a few days.

Although, it's true that communication is the most important part in a GB for a buyer. Such "message breaks" are always stressful, even more in such timings. :)

Message to the future: lot_lizard, did you think of reinvoicing people? I think everyone would be reassured.

alienman82

06 May 2017, 05:07

removed.
Last edited by alienman82 on 02 Mar 2018, 03:47, edited 1 time in total.

Ir0n

08 May 2017, 07:37

I just noticed he hasn't been active .. jee I hope everything is ok..

__red__

08 May 2017, 13:33

Menuhin wrote: I still believe DT is full of nicer people, and like some members told me (compared to GH), is basically harmless, e.g. to join GB etc.
I think my observation is that the average age on DT is higher than GH. So I wouldn't use the term "nicer"... I'd say that the older members made their statutory youthful fuck-ups elsewhere already :-)

lot_lizard

08 May 2017, 23:04

I want to start out by apologizing for my multi-week absence. Many of you have significant money for you tied up with me and this project, and I you deserved an explanation and updates before now. I've gone through a collection of significant life events in a very short time, and I just needed to step away where I could. A couple are very personal family matters that I won't divulge in detail, and the other would be my job and these multiple acquisitions that I have eluded to. If I was ever going to actually pop, this would have been that moment :). I was actually going to just refund you all and take the loss for myself (easier than more work at the moment).

Happy to report though that my seas have officially calmed (or at least the path is laid out). I have a new job (lateral move with another company) that is more in line with my original passions with a manageable workload.

I will say this, because many of us are at different stages in life... regardless of how sexy the carrot they dangle in front of you (via options, board seat, etc), remember you really do always work for you and your family. Jobs will always be available no matter how high up you think you might be, and nothing is worth ruining your health over. Done with the proverbs now, back to business... :)

Our top and bottom plates were slated to be produced, but I really wanted to be in attendance to supervise. Mostly for photographs for us because I trust our metal friends at this point, but also a little quality check along the way as well. I will reach out to our friends again to see where we can get back on their schedule. Our foam has been produced and is waiting at my place in multiple boxes. Our packaging (outer box) has been produced and is waiting for me to pick up from our corrugated supplier (they were nice enough to store no charge).

I see from our vote that we are all in on CommonSense. This makes me happy, and wanted to thank DMA for really pouring himself into that project. I will work on getting the controllers and LED boards ordered this weekend. We have several different controller configurations for the xWhatsit to order as well as part of Wodan's buy. Aside from the controller, the PCB remains, and I will send WCass the final hole adjustments.

I never got the chance to make a video of the MF (sorry @emdude) even though I have been using both profiles for several weeks now (you should see the looks the nurses have given me coming in and out of the room... it's hysterical :) ). The reliability has been excellent.

I will need some help though packaging some of this up for everyone. I had planned on doing either myself, but I am just juggling too much outside of this project at the moment. If someone would be up for counting out a specific part (like the screw fasteners, etc), PM me, and I will send you the parts and little baggies with some labels. Any help there really would be appreciated.

As you can expect, I have several PMs to go through over the next few days. Appreciate your patience, and again... really... sorry for stringing this out.

E TwentyNine

08 May 2017, 23:10

Welcome back. :mrgreen:

DMA

08 May 2017, 23:27

Congratulations on the new job! Hope they won't beat you with carrot so much anymore.
Thanks for not backing out, too!

I can count stuff - as an unemployed man I have lots of free time on my hands (hopefully not for too long - onsites are coming!).

As for ordering PCBs.. I would really want to see final configuration assembled before ordering the production batch. Tolerances can kill. I'm reasonably sure CS PCB will fit - but Ellipse was also reasonably sure he'll make it quickly either and look at him reinventing the whole process :)

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

09 May 2017, 00:45

Hey, l_l, so glad to have you back again, and to hear that you are in a better place mentally. On a selfish note, I am really happy that you decided to continue on with this project, rather than refunding and stopping. I always got the impression that you enjoy this, so I do hope that this GB is a net positive in your life, and isn't a source of stress to you. My personal feeling is that I don't care how long this GB takes (within reason), and that if you need to step away from time to time that's okay with me. I think we'd all appreciate you checking in here once a week or so, even if you don't have specific progress to share.

If there's anything I can help with myself, don't hesitate to ask!

ekeppel

09 May 2017, 00:46

lot_lizard, it sounds like you had a difficult few weeks. :-(

It's nice to have you back, though, and thanks for the update.

emdude
Model M Apologist

09 May 2017, 02:16

Glad to have you back, lot_lizard. I don't have any issue with additional delays either, if you need more time to attend to personal and work matters, go for it! Very happy to hear that we are back on track though.

I understand that you did not have time to record a typing video of the MF, but if you can find any time at all to make a short one, now that things have stabilized a bit for you, that would be great! Not a priority at all, of course, but it would be much appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing the plates and CommonSense come together.

wcass

09 May 2017, 02:52

DMA wrote: ....
As for ordering PCBs.. I would really want to see final configuration assembled before ordering the production batch. Tolerances can kill. I'm reasonably sure CS PCB will fit - but Ellipse was also reasonably sure he'll make it quickly either and look at him reinventing the whole process :)
I concur. DMA may have controllers already built. If so, maybe we send him a PCB and plate set. He might be able to make that video too.
Last edited by wcass on 09 May 2017, 05:24, edited 1 time in total.

drevyek

09 May 2017, 03:42

Great to hear from you. Glad things are calming down a bit,and that things are alright.

Good to hear that the foam has been cut too, I recall you saying that it was one of the big question marks in the project.

Return to “Group buys”