IBM Thinkpad keyboards

ShivaYash

18 May 2017, 22:05

Any thoughts on these? Some say they are the best laptop (modern) keyboard by far.

Discuss.

Ps. I've just purchased an X220.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cattus_D

19 May 2017, 19:50

Oh, my Thinkpad 390. I've owned four laptops, and the only reason I replaced the Thinkpad is that the hardware was completely outdated. That thing was made to last! Also, it was the first computer I owned that could run semi-decent computer games.Well, unless you count the 486 DX2 my parents had in the attic.

I actually still have it, and do a bit of typing on it every now and then. It's mostly out of nostalgia, though: the keys are stiff rubberdomes, and while the sound is fairly satisfying the key feel isn't. While I typed most of my essays, as well as my dissertation on my Thinkpad when I was at uni, I wouldn't seriously use it now.

They may have changed the Thinkpad keyboards later. I'd have to try one before I'd buy it, though.

codemonkeymike

19 May 2017, 19:57

I love my T430 keyboard, but not sure if that is considered modern anymore as its been out of production for about 4 years now.

ShivaYash

20 May 2017, 13:47

Thanks... I use a rubber dome KB most the time, the HHKB and 87u... I am looking forward to seeing how they compare to a brand new old stock X220.

GH1391401

21 May 2017, 21:13

IMHO thinkpad keyboards are still great even today. I have owned (and still own and collect) many thinkpads over the years.

I feel as though that vintage of thinkad (the '10' and '20' models in their new naming scheme such as T410, T420, W520, etc) has their best keyboard before they made the transition to the chiclet style keyboard.

david2t83w

21 May 2017, 22:33

You guys made me haul out my dusty x201 and t500 as I don't recall anything exceptional about their typing experience. I just did some typing on them and I see nothing special, just rubber domes. Probably the pre-lenovo thinkpads might be better? Almost want to grab an ancient Thinkpad from CL just to see what it's like. Nah, enough of this keyboard fingering fetish.

vometia
irritant

21 May 2017, 23:40

We've a very elderly R40 who comes out to play sometimes. No idea what sort of keys it has, except that my other half has worn the legends off several of them over the years...

Edit: just given it a try: I'd assume generic rubber dome. It's not terrible, but not especially great either.

GH1391401

22 May 2017, 01:06

To each their own I guess - I definitely notice a significant difference between a thinkpad keyboard and a typical laptop keyboard in terms of keypress but also key shape and overall layout.

hasu

22 May 2017, 11:10

my x201s is not bad but not good, t23 is far better. Thinkpad is just one of options to get US keyboard here in Japan now, not excellent keyboard anymore.

Stabilized

22 May 2017, 12:06

My girlfriend just got a x250 and I was quite disappointed about the keyboard on it. It commits the cardinal sin of squishing keys up: the punctuation just to left of the enter is not full width.
The key travel is alright, but the tactility isn't that amazing and I would say that I preferred my 2009 unibody Macbook Pro for keyfeel.
Maybe it's a problem with it being a modern Thinkpad?

evoman

24 May 2017, 13:09

I still have several of my old Thinkpads around and the older keyboards were definitely much better than what they are using now. They are still probably better than most keyboards, but since going to the chiclet style they haven't been nearly as good.

Gouty

24 May 2017, 14:59

x220 was the last model before they switched over to chiclet style, and IMO is still much better than any laptop keyboard available on new devices.

woody
Count Troller

25 May 2017, 16:47

Stabilized wrote: My girlfriend just got a x250 and I was quite disappointed about the keyboard on it. It commits the cardinal sin of squishing keys up: the punctuation just to left of the enter is not full width.
The US (ANSI) versions of X240/X250/X260 are alright and don't have key irregularities.
Biggest gripe is Insert/End combined in a single button.
Otherwise, as a laptop keyboard the T and X series Thinkpads rule. E series are less awesome.

I use a X230, though, which has full width keyboard. Short of proper tactile micro-switch keyboard, it's pretty decent.
The same X230 (also T430) keyboard is available as external USB or BT one, but it lacks the option to swap Fn and Ctrl. Yuck.

BPX-926

29 May 2017, 23:40

I use ThinkPad laptops. I have also owned a MacBook Pro from 2010.

I consider the ThinkPad to have the best laptop keyboards on the market.

I have used them since I got a T60 preowned. It had a wonderful keyboard.

Up to the X220 and T420, they had excellent older style keyboards. All excellent for typing. Not a full mechanical but excellent. Very clearly the best laptop keyboards made.

Then from X230 and T430 onward they moved to MacBook style flat keys. Still very good keyboards. Better I think than the MacBook ones. Still the best keyboards on a laptop.

I live in UK but use US ANSI keyboard because I consider it better suited for English speakers and Unix users. The ThinkPad makes it easy to swap out for this keyboard. It is also common to find refurbished US keyboard ThinkPads in UK.

evoman

30 May 2017, 10:43

Gouty wrote: x220 was the last model before they switched over to chiclet style, and IMO is still much better than any laptop keyboard available on new devices.

Agreed - I still have the tablet version of the X220 sitting around and I miss that keyboard (using a T450s, which is my first chiclet keyboard - it is still better than most laptops and even desktop membrane keyboards). I have a really old (and dead) Thinkpad sitting around that is even better (I think a T40 - built like a tank!). I just ordered a new Thinkpad (new gen X1 Yoga) and I am hoping the keyboard is still at least above average.

davkol

30 May 2017, 11:30

BPX-926 wrote: Then from X230 and T430 onward they moved to MacBook style flat keys.
No, no, and no.

The keycaps are still cylindrical. The only difference is that now the gaps between keytops aren't filled with angled keycap walls, but the keyboard case/plate instead.

The new aesthetic impairs some users' judgment for some reason, although the case/plate aesthetic and shape of keycap walls make no difference in "switch" feel or spacing by itself. It does directly impact only sound and access to stuck dirt.

In terms of tactility and overall feel, there are arguably significant differences between generations (even within the same "style"), models within the same generation (e.g., different travel for workstation and ultrabook models) or even between the same (model-wise) keyboards from different OEMs (say, Chicony and NMB on late-2000s' models).

I can understand the woes related to the relatively radical layout change. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I can see the point.

Stabilized

30 May 2017, 12:38

woody wrote: The US (ANSI) versions of X240/X250/X260 are alright and don't have key irregularities.
Biggest gripe is Insert/End combined in a single button.
Otherwise, as a laptop keyboard the T and X series Thinkpads rule. E series are less awesome.

I use a X230, though, which has full width keyboard. Short of proper tactile micro-switch keyboard, it's pretty decent.
The same X230 (also T430) keyboard is available as external USB or BT one, but it lacks the option to swap Fn and Ctrl. Yuck.
If it was my laptop I would definitely spend the time and money to swap out the ISO one for an ANSI one. I also quite dislike the placement of the page up and page down keys though, I don't know why they didn't just put them on a function layer..
davkol wrote: In terms of tactility and overall feel, there are arguably significant differences between generations (even within the same "style"), models within the same generation (e.g., different travel for workstation and ultrabook models) or even between the same (model-wise) keyboards from different OEMs (say, Chicony and NMB on late-2000s' models).
I have read online that the newer keyboards are mainly made by Chicony and Lite on, the later being superior in typing feel. Do you have any experience with the different manufacturers with regards to the newer x230/t430 and onwards keyboards?

davkol

30 May 2017, 12:46

I've only messed with T40-T43, T61 and T400-T410 generations extensively, and briefly tried random newer models.

The best resource is forum.thinkpads.com.

Return to “Keyboards”