Great/Interesting Finds

MrDuul

24 May 2017, 12:49

wobbled wrote:
MrDuul wrote: Soon. once I get my kishsaver in the mail, I will make a thread
So where do you expect to get a kishsaver from if you dont want to trash pick? No one wants to sell theirs.
I got one on this forum?

wobbled

24 May 2017, 12:51

MrDuul wrote:
wobbled wrote:
MrDuul wrote: Soon. once I get my kishsaver in the mail, I will make a thread
So where do you expect to get a kishsaver from if you dont want to trash pick? No one wants to sell theirs.
I got one on this forum?
Who sold it to you? Every time I saw people wanting to buy them, no one wanted to sell.

MrDuul

24 May 2017, 13:07

Who sold it to you? Every time I saw people wanting to buy them, no one wanted to sell.

His identity will remain unknown. I will however state it's broken and I bought it to repair it.

I do think it can be repaired, I will give it my best shot.

nsmechkb

24 May 2017, 14:02

MrDuul wrote:

His identity will remain unknown.
Ahhh--we know the seller is a man, then. Now we're getting somewhere!

MrDuul

24 May 2017, 14:04

DAMN. :lol:

:shock:

nsmechkb

24 May 2017, 14:06

MrDuul wrote: DAMN. :lol:

:shock:
Seriously, though. Good luck with the restoration. Hope it all goes well!

wobbled

24 May 2017, 14:07

nsmechkb wrote:
MrDuul wrote:

His identity will remain unknown.
Ahhh--we know the seller is a man, then. Now we're getting somewhere!
You will make a fine detective some day!

And yes definitely keep us updated with the kishsaver and the beamspring, you are extremely lucky to have found someone willing to sell a kishy. Been looking for one for ages.

MrDuul

24 May 2017, 14:18

Thanks dudes,

And you are lucky for having the Industrial SSK!

Is there any differences tho besides the finish and key caps? I mean internally is it the same as a SSK model M?

wobbled

24 May 2017, 14:54

MrDuul wrote: Thanks dudes,

And you are lucky for having the Industrial SSK!

Is there any differences tho besides the finish and key caps? I mean internally is it the same as a SSK model M?
Aye pal, exactly the same inside. I was using Model F internals inside my industrial SSK for a while but ended up preferring the feel of membrane buckling spring (I have a really heavy typing style). When I had my 3278 I considered that a pretty perfect switch but the layout completely killed it for me and made me regret buying it so I sold it on. May look for one of those full size beamsprings soon but I'm trying to calm my spending habits :lol:

j0d1

24 May 2017, 15:56

snuci wrote: As a vintage computer collector, it saddens me when people split up keyboards from their computer/terminal. It would be akin to a keyboard collector watching a key switch collector split up a beam spring keyboard so they could collect the switches. I seriously hope the seller of the 5251 terminal doesn't split it up.
Let me be the devil advocate on that. :evilgeek:
I understand the sentiment but there are good reasons to split the peripherals:

* If you are more into keyboards than other hardware, having a big terminal taking dust in your home is as sad as splitting them. Splitting the two peripherals in two sales doesn't mean one of them will be destroyed. Also, if someone take cares of the keyboard and another person take care of the terminal, those two components can be reunited at a later time <3
* The terminal boost the asking price by a lot.
* The terminal boost the shipping cost by a lot.

With a limited budget, a limited space in my house and a fascination for keyboards, I prefer to buy keyboards only.

That said, you guys have really good points about not splitting the peripherals.

wobbled

24 May 2017, 16:04

j0d1 wrote:
snuci wrote: As a vintage computer collector, it saddens me when people split up keyboards from their computer/terminal. It would be akin to a keyboard collector watching a key switch collector split up a beam spring keyboard so they could collect the switches. I seriously hope the seller of the 5251 terminal doesn't split it up.
Let me be the devil advocate on that. :evilgeek:
I understand the sentiment but there are good reasons to split the peripherals:

* If you are more into keyboards than other hardware, having a big terminal taking dust in your home is as sad as splitting them. Splitting the two peripherals in two sales doesn't mean one of them will be destroyed. Also, if someone take cares of the keyboard and another person take care of the terminal, those two components can be reunited at a later time <3
* The terminal boost the asking price by a lot.
* The terminal boost the shipping cost by a lot.

With a limited budget, a limited space in my house and a fascination for keyboards, I prefer to buy keyboards only.

That said, you guys have really good points about not splitting the peripherals.
Totally agree with this, buying just the keyboard and taking care of it will mean the terminal will go to someone else that may care about it and take care of it better than us where it would gather dust in the corner of a room.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

24 May 2017, 16:36

wobbled wrote: Totally agree with this, buying just the keyboard and taking care of it will mean the terminal will go to someone else that may care about it and take care of it better than us where it would gather dust in the corner of a room.
The terminal is useless without the keyboard so this is not a justifiable point. It's like taking care of a keyboard with no key switches (hence my analogy). You can't use the keyboard without the key switches and the price drops like a rock. Look at the desirability of a keyboard with just one missing key cap.

For the record, I do buy keyboards so that I can later find the matching computer/keyboard. Occasionally, I will do the other way around. I have a Cromemco C10 computer that I've been waiting four or so years to find a keyboard for and have never been able to find one.

Perhaps we should move this discussion to another thread.

Harshmallow

24 May 2017, 16:39

My general rule is that I will buy the complete system when I find a keyboard I want, but typically only when it's in my local ads, where I can drive out to pick it up myself. I've done this several times already, picking up 2 Kaypros, an IBM 5155, an IBM P70 and just recently my lovely IBM 5160 XT system. I'm in a basement apt. so I have limited space, but I do what I can. When it comes to online orders, I try to just avoid complete systems all together, as the shipping to Canada for just a Model M sized keyboard is about $30 - $40 US.

Edit: Snuci - good point, these aren't 'Great Find' related :P
Last edited by Harshmallow on 24 May 2017, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.

MrDuul

24 May 2017, 16:40

Harshmallow wrote: My general rule is that I will buy the complete system when I find a keyboard I want, but typically only when it's in my local ads, where I can drive out to pick it up myself. I've done this several times already, picking up 2 Kaypros, an IBM 5155, an IBM P70 and just recently my lovely IBM 5160 XT system. I'm in a basement apt. so I have limited space, but I do what I can. When it comes to online orders, I try to just avoid complete systems all together, as the shipping to Canada for just a Model M sized keyboard is about $30 - $40 US.
I would love to see a video of your terminals in action.

JP!

24 May 2017, 17:33

codemonkeymike

24 May 2017, 17:36

Seems quite expensive for a stock Model F122

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

24 May 2017, 18:23

codemonkeymike wrote:
Seems quite expensive for a stock Model F122
Agreed, for that price it better be in real good shape.

dokyun

24 May 2017, 18:57

$150 but they couldn't be arsed to source a replacement Z cap :duck:

JP!

24 May 2017, 19:05

I swear I seen an F122 go for like $300 on eBay. I think $150 is just an ok price, but this might go higher if someone gets into a bidding war or there is some sort of hype surrounding these behemoth's that I am not aware of. I missed a craigslist post recently that was selling one for $40 :(

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

24 May 2017, 19:12

JP! wrote: I swear I seen an F122 go for like $300 on eBay. I think $150 is just an ok price, but this might go higher if someone gets into a bidding war or there is some sort of hype surrounding these behemoth's that I am not aware of. I missed a craigslist post recently that was selling one for $40 :(
I believe you but ebay is pretty wild regarding the prices that are paid...sometimes. :roll:

tentator

24 May 2017, 20:26

Maybe let's also think about other input devices? :)

http://m.ebay.it/itm/272683291602

alh84001
v.001

24 May 2017, 21:30

as a counterpoint to expensive F122s, two cheap ($75 and $42 from two different sellers) F ATs were listed today, and snagged within minutes.....so who knows, it may be a weird day where there's more :)
Last edited by alh84001 on 24 May 2017, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.

ryvnf

24 May 2017, 21:31

Found something that might be interesting. What is it?

http://www.tradera.com/item/344361/2822 ... angentbord

RBithrey

24 May 2017, 22:49

Hey everyone,

I was randomly going through eBay and found this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JKB-6151M-vin ... SwPh5ZJWbr - Is there any specific manufacturer attached to the model number that's given - JKB-6151M?

Thanks!
Last edited by RBithrey on 16 Mar 2021, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.

Chyros

24 May 2017, 23:01

Alps are NOTHING like Cherry xD .

RBithrey

24 May 2017, 23:04

Thanks!
Last edited by RBithrey on 24 May 2017, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.

RBithrey

24 May 2017, 23:05

Chyros wrote: Alps are NOTHING like Cherry xD .
Love the keyboard reviews!
Last edited by RBithrey on 16 Mar 2021, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.

orihalcon

25 May 2017, 05:55

M122's for $10 plus showing $17 shipping to my zip:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272685995189
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272685991807
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272685988463

They are untested, but chances are that they work. Even if you only ended up with the caps, still a good deal.

Believe this is forum member with the same name, so maybe PM him for more potentially if these have already sold by the time you see this.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

25 May 2017, 06:07

orihalcon wrote: M122's for $10 plus showing $17 shipping to my zip:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272685995189
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272685991807
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272685988463

They are untested, but chances are that they work. Even if you only ended up with the caps, still a good deal.

Believe this is forum member with the same name, so maybe PM him for more potentially if these have already sold by the time you see this.
Plenty of good parts for $27. I like the version with the other style case or I'd buy all three of them as a future restoration project.

SectorOMEGA

25 May 2017, 06:48

Return to “Other external”