Suggestions for Nice-sounding MX Clicky Switches?

nsmechkb

27 May 2017, 15:42

Good morning!

After watching Chyros' SKCM Blue videos and hearing how nice they sound, I'd like to try something similar. I'd prefer to find something in MX-mount, though.

What is the nicest sounding clicky MX-mount switch you know of?

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

27 May 2017, 15:44

nsmechkb wrote: Good morning!

After watching Chyros' SKCM Blue videos and hearing how nice they sound, I'd like to try something similar. I'd prefer to find something in MX-mount, though.
Oh Chyros is going to love this. The fact that his SKCM Blue video is motivating someone to try Cherry MX. Brillaint. :lol:
53334658.jpg
53334658.jpg (24.33 KiB) Viewed 5810 times

nsmechkb

27 May 2017, 15:47

:(

They don't need to be Cherries.

Gatistotles are the top contender at the moment. In some of the handful of videos I've found, Gatistotles sound very nice.

seebart

27 May 2017, 15:49

Sorry I cannot answer your question, I can tell you any Cherry MX switch has nothing to do with any clicky SKCM switch in sound or feel.

Wodan
ISO Advocate

27 May 2017, 16:00

Gateron clickies are generally a nice idea from the switches i tried. They come in a very bright sounding plastic switch case which helps giving them snappy clicks.

nsmechkb

27 May 2017, 16:17

Wodan wrote: Gateron clickies are generally a nice idea from the switches i tried. They come in a very bright sounding plastic switch case which helps giving them snappy clicks.
Thank you, Wodan! These may be what I end up going with.

Chyros

27 May 2017, 16:53

I agree on gatistotles. Also happen to be the nicest-feeling MX-type switches I've tried. There's absolutely nothing that can rival the sound of complicated Alps, though, MX or otherwise.

Sankart

27 May 2017, 16:53

Aristotles Stems are pretty nice, but nothing like blue Alps. Gateron clickies are even further off, the click is even higher pitched than that of MX Blues imo.
Your best bet would probably be those Alps-MX-mount adapters and some clicky Alps switch.

The plate and case you use have a huge impact as well. A thick 5mm acrylic plate sounds way different from a 1.5mm steel one, although it doesn't get a MX blue closer to a Alps blue...

Nuum

27 May 2017, 16:55

zslane

27 May 2017, 18:26

Kailh Gold speed switch if you like a soft, unobtrusive click. Kailh Thick Gold (what people are calling "Bronze") speed switch if you like a loud, sharp snap (twice per key press, in fact!).

nsmechkb

28 May 2017, 18:52

Thank you all for your replies! I think it'll be either Gatistotles or Kailh Bronze! Should probably wait until I can hear what the Bronze switches sound like in a case.

snoopy

28 May 2017, 18:56

are there even any nice sounding mx switches?

seebart

28 May 2017, 18:59

snoopy wrote: are there even any nice sounding mx switches?
Depends on who you ask. :lol:

MrDuul

28 May 2017, 19:16

MX are garbage.

Phenix
-p

28 May 2017, 19:18

make MX great (again)

Chyros

29 May 2017, 00:16

nsmechkb wrote: Thank you all for your replies! I think it'll be either Gatistotles or Kailh Bronze! Should probably wait until I can hear what the Bronze switches sound like in a case.
They sound like the absolute opposite of each other. Bronze ones are very high-pitched metal, gatistotles fairly deep plastic.

MrDuul

29 May 2017, 00:21

Chyros wrote:
nsmechkb wrote: Thank you all for your replies! I think it'll be either Gatistotles or Kailh Bronze! Should probably wait until I can hear what the Bronze switches sound like in a case.
They sound like the absolute opposite of each other. Bronze ones are very high-pitched metal, gatistotles fairly deep plastic.
Are blue alps > Model F springs?

wobbled

29 May 2017, 00:22

MrDuul wrote:
Chyros wrote:
Are blue alps > Model F springs?
Personal preference...

Even stating

Blue Alps > Cherry MX Blue

Is entirely down to personal preference.

MrDuul

29 May 2017, 00:39

Actually Blue Alps > MX Blue is a fact.

wobbled

29 May 2017, 00:41

MrDuul wrote: Actually Blue Alps > MX Blue is a fact.
I agree they're better but that's only because I prefer them. It can't be a 'fact'

MrDuul

29 May 2017, 00:46

If I state something it becomes law.

wobbled

29 May 2017, 00:49

d33.jpg
d33.jpg (35.25 KiB) Viewed 5546 times

MrDuul

29 May 2017, 00:56

Blue Alps > MX Blue

nsmechkb

29 May 2017, 00:56

Chyros wrote:
Here's the primary video I'm referencing for Kailh Bronze: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jltzgXcaaXU

Here's my primary reference for Gatistotles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgw8Ty3_POY

I'm losing confidence that the idea makes any sense anyway. I want a compact board with just a really pleasant clicky sound. At the moment, I'm thinking of buying an FC660M and putting a Clueboard PCB in it, and experimenting with case liners and pads to get a nice, deep sound. Originally I just wanted a Clueboard, but I think the aluminum case is going to heighten the pitch of the click. I want to lower the pitch, so a roomy, solid, plastic case seems like an appropriate choice.

I thought the 660M case would let the sharp snap of the Bronzes reverberate and create a nice full sound, but 'metallic' isn't really what I have in mind, so maybe Gatistotles really are the best choice.

The whole thing may be a fool's errand. The SKCM Blues in this video -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8tbH56Bd0I -- don't sound particularly nice to my ear. Which leads me to believe that the big, roomy, thick plastic cases that typically house SKCM Blues contribute significantly to the overall sound, and if I were to take straight SKCM Blues and stick them in a 660M case I may still be far off the mark of, say, your videos, Chyros.

Lots to think about.
Last edited by nsmechkb on 29 May 2017, 00:59, edited 2 times in total.

wobbled

29 May 2017, 00:57

image.jpg
image.jpg (35.06 KiB) Viewed 5528 times

klennkellon

29 May 2017, 08:50

snoopy wrote: are there even any nice sounding mx switches?
Non-Clicky MX can sound nice. Plate mounted with some shorter, thick, keycaps results in a fairly quiet and bassy noise.

The clickies just sound awful, though.

Sankart

29 May 2017, 15:12

Come to think of it, new MX-Whites sound pretty good. Nothing like Blue Alps, but they're much more pleasant than MX Blues. Imo. they're the best Cherry Switch @ stock.

zslane

29 May 2017, 17:43

Some people, when confronted with a switch tactility problem, think "I know, I'll use a clicky switch." Now they have two problems. ;)

Return to “Keyboards”