Linus on Kenesis

y11971alex

14 May 2017, 15:55

Stabilized

14 May 2017, 19:38

I have never owned one of these, but I thought that it was a really good review considering it's a pretty niche product and the Linus channel is pretty mainstream (most of the time) for the stuff it covers.
I like the idea of these keyboards, but I don't really think it's ideal with the small amount of adjustment you get for height, angle, and width. Also would have been nice to have a trackball built in, or just have the two halves split while keeping their contoured design.
But I mean ultimately it's the price that's put me off buying one of these, I sympathise and the development cost is high and the volume of units they ship is small, but $350 does seem really high with the ever expanding range of split/ergo keyboards on the market.

Phenix
-p

20 May 2017, 15:02

Stabilized wrote:I have never owned one of these, but I thought that it was a really good review considering it's a pretty niche product and the Linus channel is pretty mainstream (most of the time) for the stuff it covers.
I like the idea of these keyboards, but I don't really think it's ideal with the small amount of adjustment you get for height, angle, and width. Also would have been nice to have a trackball built in, or just have the two halves split while keeping their contoured design.
But I mean ultimately it's the price that's put me off buying one of these, I sympathise and the development cost is high and the volume of units they ship is small, but $350 does seem really high with the ever expanding range of split/ergo keyboards on the market.
Thats true.
Tough its imho quite nice - but improvable.
Also most ergo boards have to be assembled by yourself.. not everyone wants to/can do it.

Stabilized

20 May 2017, 15:13

You're right, if you want to go for a assembled one with keycaps $300+ seems to be quite standard (Ergodox EZ, TEK, Keyboardio).
I was actually thinking of the $200 Matias Ergo Pro when I said that, but that's an entirely different design. I haven't really seen many keyboards with wells like this, except perhaps the more expensive Maltron keyboards: so I guess it just depends on what you're looking for and prefer the wells to a split design.

fruitalgorithm

20 May 2017, 19:51

The review makes a god job of introducing ergonomic keyboards in general. All points criticizing the Kinesis Advantage are very valid. Ugly case an wasted space in the middle being the primary examples.

The high price isn't only because of the low volume market. The switches in the shaped key wells are much more expensive to assemble than switches on a flat board. That's also the reason for so few keyboards having a bowl shape. The Maltron is the only one beside one off DIY projects like the Dactyl that comes to mind.

Spok

22 May 2017, 11:42

I would really like to test it one day. I have an ergodox, so I don't expect it to be very different, but the wells interest me. They seem like a good idea.
It is really sad that they are so expensive, but it is to be understood: they use a curved pcb I think. And i think that the target market is mostly developers whose company can afford to spend $300 on a keyboard.

fruitalgorithm

22 May 2017, 15:28

The ErgoDox EZ with tilting, tenting, and wrist rest is 295$ plus shipping. https://ergodox-ez.com/collections/fron ... z-original
Even if you build your own ErgoDox, it won't be significantly cheaper. PCB, switches, and keycaps will be around 100$ in parts alone. Then you still need a case and maybe tenting, tilting or wrist rests.

I think the target market is people with medical issues, who seek an improvement of their condition. Then the price is much less of an issue if you type a lot. I often wonder about that. Many people spend a lot of time in front of computers. But they will get the cheapest input devices they can. Even though in other areas of their lives they spend a lot more. You can use a good keyboard and mouse for many many years.

Stabilized

22 May 2017, 15:56

I guess my problem was I was not willing to pay $350 to try it, when considering the other similar keyboards on the market then it's in line with all of them.

From my limited experience, the people who have the medical problems are the people using the equipment that their employer's give them, and the employer will just choose the cheapest solution to get the job done. From what I understand: in the UK it's only when it becomes a medical problem does the employer need to buy ergonomic products to try and alievate the problem.

andrewjoy

22 May 2017, 16:17

Fair review , i think the older ones have nicer cases from what i have read .

Its cheap compared to the maltron tho.

cookie

22 May 2017, 17:03

Every time I read Linus I get exited to see something new from Linus Torwalds, then this guy appears...

Bummer

andrewjoy

22 May 2017, 17:13

cookie wrote: Every time I read Linus I get exited to see something new from Linus Torwalds, then this guy appears...

Bummer

Ha Ha!

I do watch his video , they are ok but not amazing.

His server room gets me all agitated tho as its just horrible ( checks his own sever room and finds 3 boxes of crap i need to get rid of)

cookie

22 May 2017, 18:07

andrewjoy wrote:
cookie wrote: Every time I read Linus I get exited to see something new from Linus Torwalds, then this guy appears...

Bummer

Ha Ha!

I do watch his video , they are ok but not amazing.

His server room gets me all agitated tho as its just horrible ( checks his own sever room and finds 3 boxes of crap i need to get rid of)
I must say that I find him downright annoying. I feel that most of his videos contain more clickbait than actually useful stuff. If I am interested in new Tech I'd rather check out if MKBHD has a review on a particular product I'm interested in.

Anyhow, I still hope for a Video where Linus Torvalds bashes the living crap out of Razer. Not because of obvious reasons but because they don't have a Linux driver for their periphery :D

Stabilized

22 May 2017, 18:21

I remember watching a video a while ago about Linus Torvalds, and he was using a QFR. Ah here it is:
Also I thought that MKBHD mainly did smartphone reviews? I'm so burnt out on the newest smartphones as there really doesn't seem to be much meaningful progress in the past few years (case in point: HTC releasing squeeze technology).

cookie

29 May 2017, 19:02

Stabilized wrote: I remember watching a video a while ago about Linus Torvalds, and he was using a QFR. Ah here it is:
Also I thought that MKBHD mainly did smartphone reviews? I'm so burnt out on the newest smartphones as there really doesn't seem to be much meaningful progress in the past few years (case in point: HTC releasing squeeze technology).
Linus Torwalds knows what's good!

MKBHD does also a lot of photography, monitors, audio and other gadgets. He inspired me to try the Audio Technica M50s and I am very glad I've bought them.

Yeah I don't know, I buy a new smartphone if mine is broken and I try to get my hands on something used. I was never really following these trends.

Phenix
-p

29 May 2017, 19:39

indeed smartphone technology doesnt get better that fast: however say any 3 years one could get significant more power with a upgrade..

Question is nevertheless if the power is needed+if the battery suffers from that.

Stabilized

29 May 2017, 20:30

cookie wrote: MKBHD does also a lot of photography, monitors, audio and other gadgets. He inspired me to try the Audio Technica M50s and I am very glad I've bought them.
Maybe I judged him a bit too quickly, haven't watched his videos in years (I think at this point). Will have to give him another go then!
Phenix wrote: Question is nevertheless if the power is needed+if the battery suffers from that.
I think it's part of the cycle of disposable electronics and the yearly release cycle for these things.

I mean I don't game on my phone, I use it for social media and YouTube and that's about it. I don't need a higher resolution or a faster processor than my computer. What I really need is good battery life!
I'm pretty annoyed at the trend away from removable batteries, even LG (whose terrible phones I put up with for the batteries) has now released a non removable battery phone :(

MrDuul

29 May 2017, 23:48

Wow his review is worse then my HHKB "review"

cookie

30 May 2017, 11:00

Stabilized wrote: Maybe I judged him a bit too quickly, haven't watched his videos in years (I think at this point). Will have to give him another go then!
You definitely should, he brings stuff directly to the point with some nice presentation, well selected music and good verbal skills. It's just the right dose for a product. Tek Syndicate for example bores you over 25 minutes to review a cable...

Mr.Nobody

25 Aug 2017, 05:23

I remember I made a joke on this ugly keyboard, which triggered the wrath of some DTer from Germany. It's not impossible that I had underestimated the sensitivity of jokes involving the Fuhrer.

y11971alex

25 Aug 2017, 07:54

Mr.Nobody wrote: I remember I made a joke on this ugly keyboard, which triggered the wrath of some DTer from Germany. It's not impossible that I had underestimated the sensitivity of jokes involving the Fuhrer.
The best policy is silence when it comes to that bit of German history.

cookie

25 Aug 2017, 14:12

Mr.Nobody wrote: I remember I made a joke on this ugly keyboard, which triggered the wrath of some DTer from Germany. It's not impossible that I had underestimated the sensitivity of jokes involving the Fuhrer.
You better don't dare to talk shit about HHKBs then!

That was a joke!

Return to “Reviews”