Price Check: How much is my _____ worth?

emdude
Model M Apologist

02 Jun 2017, 18:39

clickykeyboards wrote: Unfortunately, most average people probably don't care and it is sometimes hard to encourage even the mechanical keyboard audience to appreciate the finer details and the costs of time and restoration work in finding authentic matching original IBM parts like key caps and ensuring that the keys have the exact matching font-width, font-color, and font-placement.
I have to say this is one of my largest keyboard pet peeves, and it is frustrating to do something trivial like shifting keycaps around incomplete boards to fill out one.

Call me silly, but I think these little things give each Model M a sort of "character" that you don't see in other keyboards. I love those mundane details. :mrgreen:

codemonkeymike

06 Jun 2017, 14:22

Question, what would a whole IBM System 32. Totally shit condition like it was kept in a non climate controlled damp garage. I should note I don't own this a family member knows someone who has one

Stasiekx3

07 Jun 2017, 17:23

Hi guys,
I'm quite new to all this so sorry for all misunderstandings or ignorance in my part. I was at my grandma's place today to take two old PCs (386 and 586). I found two old keyboards and even though I'm not willing to sell any one of them, I want to know how much they would sell for.

First one is NTC KB-6251 with Hua-Jie AK series green switches (so KB-6752EA I think, but XT/AT switch doesn't seem to be desoldered), and it's keycaps aren't dual shot at least they don't seem to be (I have Tai-Hao dual shot keycaps to compare with them and they seem to be painted not carved into plastic).

Second one is Cherry G81-3020 SAU/00 from soft-tronik with big GULIP on the front of the case, again painted letters.

I haven't cleaned them yet, I also have to work on PCs, they are the whole reason I got everything so it would be nice to get even one to work properly.
Last edited by Stasiekx3 on 07 Jun 2017, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

ohaimark
Kingpin

07 Jun 2017, 17:52

The Hua keyboard would sell for $40ish if cleaned.

Not sure about the SAV...

Wodan
ISO Advocate

07 Jun 2017, 18:03

That Cherry G81 is a SAU as in "geile Drecksau" and similair caps have recently sold by alienman for 150$ a set IIRC

Stasiekx3

07 Jun 2017, 18:41

Yeah, replaced SAV with SAU in OP. It's not clear to me if you are talking about keycaps being sold for 150 (that would be quite expensive for keycaps) or whole keyboard (which would be quite standard price for mech keyboard). First keyboard thought, I like it much more than second one, it looks and feels so much better, and yet it's cheaper.

Harshmallow

07 Jun 2017, 22:24

Stasiekx3 wrote: Yeah, replaced SAV with SAU in OP. It's not clear to me if you are talking about keycaps being sold for 150 (that would be quite expensive for keycaps) or whole keyboard (which would be quite standard price for mech keyboard). First keyboard thought, I like it much more than second one, it looks and feels so much better, and yet it's cheaper.

That's just a funny little quirk about our community - the dye sub PBT Cherry key caps are the only thing valuable on the second board - if it didn't have those, you're right, the first board would be far more valuable as it has decent mechanical switches in comparison. People have paid even more than $150 for a complete set of dye-sub Cherry key caps before. Some look at them as the holy grail or ultimate form of key cap (Cherry key cap at least, don't see how anyone could argue they're better than model F dye sub PBT caps, but I'm biased :P)

Stasiekx3

07 Jun 2017, 23:27

Now I feel like using them Cherry dye-sub keycaps on my Anne Pro, that would look horrible, but it would drive price of that keyboard 3x compared to retail.

mattmelach

08 Jun 2017, 02:14

Hey Guys,

I'm super new to mechanical keyboards but my friend is offering to sell me his. It's a Wasd V2 with cherry blues. All the keys seem to work but it had pen ink dripped all over it and I know his friend banged it around a couple months ago. Everything seems to be in working order though. Any idea what I should offer him for it?
IMG_20170607_201223.jpg
IMG_20170607_201223.jpg (2.09 MiB) Viewed 7020 times
IMG_20170607_201234.jpg
IMG_20170607_201234.jpg (3.22 MiB) Viewed 7020 times

taylorswiftttttt

08 Jun 2017, 02:38

removed
Last edited by taylorswiftttttt on 25 May 2022, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.

Findecanor

08 Jun 2017, 02:54

When negotiating the price, you could view it as a keyboard without keycaps.

Then try to clean the caps with isopropylene-alcohol. It might work, or it might not.

jerue

08 Jun 2017, 03:11

Stasiekx3 wrote: Yeah, replaced SAV with SAU in OP. It's not clear to me if you are talking about keycaps being sold for 150 (that would be quite expensive for keycaps) or whole keyboard (which would be quite standard price for mech keyboard). First keyboard thought, I like it much more than second one, it looks and feels so much better, and yet it's cheaper.
ANSI Cherry Dyesub keycaps are very desirable. Most of the keyboards the keycaps are on though, like the one you have...are generally horrid feeling because of the Cherry MY switches. The keycaps are really the only part of that board worth anything (the case is nice and interesting, but it's yellowed so not worth much, maybe $10-20). Clean up the keycaps, if there isn't any significant shine/use it's worth at least $200-250 easily. Sublimation looks good and the keys are not yellowed. I would not use alienman's sets as a basis for pricing these keycaps. It's still nearly impossible to find regular ANSI sets for less than $200, so those sets were an exception by going so cheap.

But if you were to find a SAV...or a nice SAT....that is a whole different ballgame :twisted:

They're the best keycaps IMO. Better than IBM PBT keys...it's all subjective...though Cherry doubleshots are probably my 2nd favorite, they just shine so easily :(

Stasiekx3

08 Jun 2017, 04:30

They are great looking, besides dust and dirt, keyboard is in great shape, I was planning on retro brighting cases of PCs, keyboards will probably get same treatment (I know many people would kill me for this but I prefer things to look and feel original and bright and stuff). As it turns out first keyboard was really beat up, some keys weren't working at all (somebody spilled something on it and oxidation), since then I managed to repair it, but still need to find some clean floppies to get program to test all keys properly (not easy to find clean floppies nowadays however).

About keys, well, double shots are my cup of tea definitely, sharper edges of letters look more presentable and elegant imo. Font on those cherry dye subs also looks a little tacky, at least it's big and readable I think, probably, maybe.

For now Cherry keyboard will sit in a drawer as show piece not to be seen by anybody, and backup for when it's time will come again (and to retain it's state for a little longer), Hua-Jie however will be main board for working on old PCs as they deserve their keyboards to be tactile and springy.

Chyros

08 Jun 2017, 08:47

You might be able to clean the caps with IPA, or even AcMe if the caps are PBT.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

09 Jun 2017, 22:35

What is a 1389278 ISO in very good condition worth? More pics tomorrow.
IMGP6145.JPG
IMGP6145.JPG (901.64 KiB) Viewed 6966 times

taylorswiftttttt

09 Jun 2017, 22:59

removed
Last edited by taylorswiftttttt on 25 May 2022, 11:14, edited 1 time in total.

JP!

10 Jun 2017, 00:14

I am sure you can get more than $50 out of that one, well depending on shipping. I would suspect $60-70 because of condition plus I have not seen a German version of one of these. I would love to add this one to my collection if your deal falls through.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

10 Jun 2017, 01:28

JP! wrote: I am sure you can get more than $50 out of that one, well depending on shipping. I would suspect $60-70 because of condition plus I have not seen a German version of one of these. I would love to add this one to my collection if your deal falls through.
The german versions are not that rare, I have also one.

JP!

10 Jun 2017, 01:48

I guess since I am in the U.S. I would not come across them often. Are these first gen German M122's in this condition hard to find? In the U.S. it seems as though the early M122's are not as common as the later ones. Also do these first gen M's have solid letter keys or are they two piece like standard M's? I would not mind getting a German one to compliment my other ISO DE boards.

Charlie_Brown_MX

10 Jun 2017, 22:57

I’m having a clear out, finally. My original AEK is modded the way I like it, and now it’s time to clear some space.

Any idea how much a new-in-box Apple Extended Keyboard II, with a new-in-bag ADB cable, and new-in-box Griffin iMate is worth? I figure it's time it went to someone who’d appreciate it rather than sit up on top of my wardrobe.

Liam54262

11 Jun 2017, 20:43

Does anyone know how much this keyboard could be worth?
Model Number KB-5162
Attachments
18945290_2284955968397254_1674026344_n.jpg
18945290_2284955968397254_1674026344_n.jpg (29.68 KiB) Viewed 6899 times
18624491_2273161109576740_240662165_n.jpg
18624491_2273161109576740_240662165_n.jpg (25.19 KiB) Viewed 6899 times
18643493_2273161122910072_1458542281_n.jpg
18643493_2273161122910072_1458542281_n.jpg (33.9 KiB) Viewed 6899 times

ohaimark
Kingpin

11 Jun 2017, 21:28

Aristotles, I think. Probably $35-45.

Honthro

14 Jun 2017, 16:59

Hey guys - what's roughly the value of a decent quality OmniKey101 with white complicated Alps? Are these rare? Wondering if I should do a trade

JP!

14 Jun 2017, 17:01

codemonkeymike wrote: Question, what would a whole IBM System 32. Totally shit condition like it was kept in a non climate controlled damp garage. I should note I don't own this a family member knows someone who has one
That would be a neat find really. Pictures I have seen show a beamspring keyboard built into a desk.

Lunatique

14 Jun 2017, 21:13

I'm looking to sell off most of my keyboard/keycaps collection, and I would really appreciate some help pricing them. Here's the list:

(They're all in excellent condition, and some are barely or never used.)

-------------------------Topre keyboards--------------------------
-RealForce 87U (55g)
-Leopold FC980C
-Leopold FC660C
-CoolerMaster CM Storm NovaTouch

-------------------------Topre Keycaps-------------------------
-Modifiers 6-key sets (on lavender set) (one green set) (one blue set)
-WASD (orange)
-Enter (orange)
-Arrows (red)
-Esc (red) x2
-PBT spacebars (red, blue, dark gray x2)

--------------------------Matias Quiet Click keyboards--------------------------
-Matias Mini Quiet Pro x2 (one of them has connection problem with the USB cable. You have to put pressure on it or it won't connect)
-KBParadise V80 TKL (Dolch)

-------------------------ALPS Keycaps-------------------------
-Olivette

--------------------------Cherry MX keyboards--------------------------
-WASD V2 87-Key Barebones (Blue Cherry MX)
-KBParadise V80 TKL (Clear Cherry MX, Blue/Red LED Backlit)
-Ducky One White TKL (Brown Cherry MX)
-MechanicalEagle Z-77 (Outemu Blue Switches, Multicolor Backlit)
-Leopold 21-Key Numeric Keypad, (Brown Cherry MX)

-------------------------Cherry MX Keycaps-------------------------
-The Amazing Chocolatier SA (includes Base alphas, Modifiers, Novelties, Numpad)
-Hana DSA keycaps (includes Base kit, Matcha Kit, Flextras, Numpad Kit, Pink F-Row)
-Carbon SA (includes Base kit, Orange alphas kit, Numpad, Flex kit)
-Retro SA (Complete set including Base kit, numpad, green ESC, WASD, Arrows, Refresh)
-Tai-Hao (Orange & Black)
-Tai-Hao (Army Green & Black)
-Lambda SA x2

--------------------------Romer G--------------------------
-Logitech G410 Atlas Spectrum RGB

--------------------------Tester Kits--------------------------
-Max Keyboard Cherry MX Tester Kit
-Max Keyboard Pro Cherry MX Tester Kit
-NPKC 17 Switch Tester
Last edited by Lunatique on 15 Jun 2017, 01:41, edited 1 time in total.

PancakeMSTR

14 Jun 2017, 21:44

Lunatique wrote: I'm looking to sell off most of my keyboard/keycaps collection, and I would really appreciate some help pricing them. Here's the list:

(They're all in excellent condition, and some are barely or never used.)

-------------------------Topre keyboards--------------------------
-RealForce 87U (55g)
-Leopold FC980C
-Leopold FC660C
-CoolerMaster CM Storm NovaTouch
-Leopold 21-Key Numeric Keypad, (Brown Cherry MX)

-------------------------Topre Keycaps-------------------------
-Modifiers 6-key sets (on lavender set) (one green set) (one blue set)
-WASD (orange)
-Enter (orange)
-Arrows (red)
-Esc (red) x2
-PBT spacebars (red, blue, dark gray x2)

--------------------------Matias Quiet Click keyboards--------------------------
-Matias Mini Quiet Pro x2 (one of them has connection problem with the USB cable. You have to put pressure on it or it won't connect)
-KBParadise V80 TKL (Dolch)

-------------------------ALPS Keycaps-------------------------
-Olivette

--------------------------Cherry MX keyboards--------------------------
-WASD V2 87-Key Barebones (Blue Cherry MX)
-KBParadise V80 TKL (Clear Cherry MX, Blue/Red LED Backlit)
-Ducky One White TKL (Brown Cherry MX)
-MechanicalEagle Z-77 (Outemu Blue Switches, Multicolor Backlit)

-------------------------Cherry MX Keycaps-------------------------
-The Amazing Chocolatier SA (includes Base alphas, Modifiers, Novelties, Numpad)
-Hana DSA keycaps (includes Base kit, Matcha Kit, Flextras, Numpad Kit, Pink F-Row)
-Carbon SA (includes Base kit, Orange alphas kit, Numpad, Flex kit)
-Retro SA (Complete set including Base kit, numpad, green ESC, WASD, Arrows, Refresh)
-Tai-Hao (Orange & Black)
-Tai-Hao (Army Green & Black)
-Lambda SA x2

--------------------------Romer G--------------------------
-Logitech G410 Atlas Spectrum RGB

--------------------------Tester Kits--------------------------
-Max Keyboard Cherry MX Tester Kit
-Max Keyboard Pro Cherry MX Tester Kit
-NPKC 17 Switch Tester

I can't appraise most of this, but I'm wondering if you're willing to split up Chocolatier at all? There are a few keycaps from that set I could use if you're willing to discuss that with me.

Lunatique

15 Jun 2017, 01:45

PancakeMSTR wrote:
Lunatique wrote: I can't appraise most of this, but I'm wondering if you're willing to split up Chocolatier at all? There are a few keycaps from that set I could use if you're willing to discuss that with me.
Which kit are you interested in?

What is the common practice for selling keyboards/keycaps, if not considering possible rise in value due to rarity? For example, do people just deduct a certain percentage from original purchase price for pre-owned keyboards/keycaps as a general rule-of-thumb (assuming everything's in excellent condition)?

alienman82

15 Jun 2017, 07:29

removed.
Last edited by alienman82 on 02 Mar 2018, 04:09, edited 1 time in total.

Stasiekx3

15 Jun 2017, 22:53

alienman82 wrote:
jerue wrote:
ANSI Cherry Dyesub keycaps are very desirable. Most of the keyboards the keycaps are on though, like the one you have...are generally horrid feeling because of the Cherry MY switches. The keycaps are really the only part of that board worth anything (the case is nice and interesting, but it's yellowed so not worth much, maybe $10-20). Clean up the keycaps, if there isn't any significant shine/use it's worth at least $200-250 easily. Sublimation looks good and the keys are not yellowed. I would not use alienman's sets as a basis for pricing these keycaps. It's still nearly impossible to find regular ANSI sets for less than $200, so those sets were an exception by going so cheap.

But if you were to find a SAV...or a nice SAT....that is a whole different ballgame :twisted:

They're the best keycaps IMO. Better than IBM PBT keys...it's all subjective...though Cherry doubleshots are probably my 2nd favorite, they just shine so easily :(
I would use my price as a guide since I had them up for like 2 - 3 months and they sold slow as all heck. And yes subjective, IBM caps are better hahahah
Well, that would be common with rare things, people don't search for them all the time, just look up once in a while. I'm not selling though so I won't have that dilemma. And patience is most important in business like this.

x64051

22 Jun 2017, 19:50

Hello DT,

what value would you estimate for an (used) cherry g80-1000 HFD with the original keycaps?

Return to “Marketplace Help”