F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

Ellipse

15 Jun 2017, 23:17

Yes on all questions Shihatsu!

Ellipse

16 Jun 2017, 04:16

We are three keyboards away from the big quarter million dollar order mark!

As we wait for final tooling at the factory before production finishes up, all the completed parts are waiting in their boxes, ready to be assembled in the coming months - reposting some photos here:
1.jpg
1.jpg (266.27 KiB) Viewed 12039 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (61.17 KiB) Viewed 12039 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (320.06 KiB) Viewed 12039 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (52.85 KiB) Viewed 12039 times
6-e1496516211426-600x486.jpg
6-e1496516211426-600x486.jpg (68.99 KiB) Viewed 12039 times
9.jpg
9.jpg (207.94 KiB) Viewed 12039 times
20161028_173020-Copy-473x600.jpg
20161028_173020-Copy-473x600.jpg (31.85 KiB) Viewed 12039 times

Shihatsu

16 Jun 2017, 09:19

Ellipse wrote: Yes on all questions Shihatsu!
And its down! The wallet is down! A full Knockout in the very last round!
I will send an order later today, and will add a second "Numpad" keycap set in my order text. I was sure for almost the whole time I wouldn't be able to afford this. Glad I could make it.

Ellipse

16 Jun 2017, 23:32

Great thanks for joining in Shihatsu!

subcat

17 Jun 2017, 08:56

Hi Ellipse, is there any conceivable way for me to pay less than 90 US dollars in shipping to me? :cry:

Scarpia

17 Jun 2017, 10:59

One thing I was always wondering... Who on earth is going to put springs on all those flippers? :-O

Ellipse

20 Jun 2017, 00:29

I paid the factory for assembly, including of the flippers and springs. Probably done by hand unless they can come up with a machine.

Wingklip

20 Jun 2017, 04:38

Ellipse yo, any chance of making them cherry compatible too? Perhaps an adapter of some kind?

Ellipse

20 Jun 2017, 04:43

Sorry nope - for this project we are making high quality PBT key caps.

Ludovician

20 Jun 2017, 10:15

Ellipse, I will most likely be changing address soon. What is the best way to make sure the correct information is on my order?

consolation

20 Jun 2017, 10:54

subcat wrote: Hi Ellipse, is there any conceivable way for me to pay less than 90 US dollars in shipping to me? :cry:
Look into a freight forwarder? I'm in NZ and I'm using NZ Post's service (they give us an addresses in US/UK/China to ship stuff to,) it's costing me about 60$ including US shipping, not a huge saving, but it helps. Downside, it'll take me an extra week to get the parcel. If Australian PO hasn't got a service, I'm sure there's another company. For the size and weight, 90$ is pretty average.

(edit: average as in typical / mean; not the new meaning of "sub-par")
Last edited by consolation on 22 Jun 2017, 03:16, edited 2 times in total.

evoman

20 Jun 2017, 13:06

I realize I should probably be able to find this info somewhere, but I have looked and cannot see a current estimate for the delivery date. I know this is in flux, but I am mostly interested in a general window so I can try to plan for how to get the keyboard from the delivery address to my home (I thought it would arrive early enough that I could collect it when visiting - like others here I am trying to avoid the cost of international shipping). thanks.

Vizir

20 Jun 2017, 21:59

Ellipse, did you get my PM for change of address?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ellipse

21 Jun 2017, 03:19

updated Vizir-sorry for the delay.

Ludovician feel free to PM me your updated address.

evoman the delivery from China is expected to be later this year - sorry I do not have a more accurate time frame. I generally ship in order of when I receive your order.

Wingklip

21 Jun 2017, 09:07

When will the pricing potentially drop?

subcat

21 Jun 2017, 09:21

consolation wrote:
subcat wrote: Hi Ellipse, is there any conceivable way for me to pay less than 90 US dollars in shipping to me? :cry:
Look into a freight forwarder? I'm in NZ and I'm using NZ Posts service (they give you an addresses in US/UK/China to ship stuff to,) it's costing me about 60$ including US shipping, so that's not a huge saving, but it helps. For the size and weight, 90$ is pretty average. Downside, it'll take me an extra week to get the parcel. If Australian PO hasn't got a service, I'm sure there's another company.
I'll look into it, thanks :mrgreen:

Ellipse

21 Jun 2017, 13:04

The discounted pricing has been set wingklip. Pricing will not be any lower.
I am selling them directly online which reduces retail cost.

mana

21 Jun 2017, 13:25

Wingklip wrote: When will the pricing potentially drop?
Did your beamspring cost less than this?

Wingklip

21 Jun 2017, 14:27

mana wrote:
This is more when converted and including shipping, in fact, I was going to buy this as my first mechanical keyboard until I saw the price tag lol.

pls make cheap options in future xd

wobbled

21 Jun 2017, 14:32

Wingklip wrote:
mana wrote:
This is more when converted and including shipping, in fact, I was going to buy this as my first mechanical keyboard until I saw the price tag lol.

Honestly nothing about Model F's are cheap, I think the prices are perfectly reasonable considering these are definitely end game type boards.

Veryshocking

21 Jun 2017, 14:38

There was talk of alternative layouts and the costs of tooling them a long while back. Although I don't have the fund to join this round myself, I thought I'd mention that if that option is still available and people paid for it, it'd be an opportunity to get an ortholinear model F.

mana

21 Jun 2017, 17:09

Wingklip wrote:
mana wrote:

This doesn't need conversion? Its already got a controller...

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

22 Jun 2017, 00:36

Ellipse wrote: We are three keyboards away from the big quarter million dollar order mark!

As we wait for final tooling at the factory before production finishes up, all the completed parts are waiting in their boxes, ready to be assembled in the coming months - reposting some photos here:

Now there's a load of work. Someones going to have nightmares of drowning in flippers pretty soon.

Ludovician

22 Jun 2017, 01:33

Would we ever know if someone literally drowned in flippers at the factory?

duynguyenle

22 Jun 2017, 01:42

Ludovician wrote: Would we ever know if someone literally drowned in flippers at the factory?
Figuratively, most certainly yes.

Literally, perhaps not, but you could never know, whatwith the safety record of these asian manufacturing suppliers :lol:

Ellipse

22 Jun 2017, 02:12

Someone suggested I put all the barrels/flippers together and go swimming in them a la Scrooge McDuck?

consolation

22 Jun 2017, 03:24

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not; offer earlier shipping &/|| discount for people who want to assemble them on their own? It will take some work off your hands, get them into clients hands bit sooner + some would enjoy putting their own board together.

Ellipse

22 Jun 2017, 03:27

Sorry, I will not let anything go out unless I personally test it to ensure the highest quality standards for this project. I have already paid the factory to assemble and do the first pass of quality control.

consolation

22 Jun 2017, 03:49

subcat wrote:
consolation wrote:
Look into a freight forwarder? I'm in NZ and I'm using NZ Posts service (they give you an addresses in US/UK/China to ship stuff to,) it's costing me about 60$ including US shipping, so that's not a huge saving, but it helps. For the size and weight, 90$ is pretty average. Downside, it'll take me an extra week to get the parcel. If Australian PO hasn't got a service, I'm sure there's another company.
I'll look into it, thanks :mrgreen:
There's another benefit to using a freight forwarder, and I'm going to have to be bit delicate about this... you get to put your own item value for the parcel. This is important for custom's duties, now, obviously you won't get away with claiming this solid chunk of steel and bobbins is worth 5$ but, in some cases a little tweak will go a long way.

For example: NZ only collects duty if it's more than 60$NZ (~45$US), otherwise the admin/collection cost is more than the duty. Which, in practice, means that items under ~300$ are exempt from any chargers, but, as soon as you hit the critical mark you attract all the duty and ancillary fees i.e. the minimum 45$US. So, if it is valued 290$ - not paying anything, but if it comes labelled as 325$ - you are paying extra 50$...

A lot of countries have these kind of regulations, by having the goods shipped by a freight forwarder, it's up to you to declare the value, and you don't have to try to put poor Ellipse in an awkward situation. While this is nothing new for regular international shoppers, if it's the first time you are shipping a more expensive item into your country; it's worth spending few minutes looking into it.

evoman

22 Jun 2017, 12:26

I don't know anything about NZ, but for people in Europe, my understanding is that there is no import duty on keyboards into the EU - has anyone had direct/relevant experience? Presumably VAT would need to be paid (plus collection fees), but I believe computer keyboards are exempt from duty.

Return to “Group buys”