IBM Beamspring questions

xueyao

07 Jul 2017, 15:50

Hi guys! Recently acquired this board:

My objective is to restore this to a fully working condition with xwhatsit adapter. However, the screws on the back are practically impossible to open with slot head. Does anyone know what's the size of Allen wrench needed to open this?

And also, all the blank buttons (tilt, button next to return key and button next to send key) are not pressable. Was this designed like this? If so is it possible to replace that single module with a working beamspring module from say xwhatsit to get it working?

Thank you guys for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snuci
Vintage computer guy

07 Jul 2017, 16:05

Do yo have any pics of the screws?

The blank keys are normal. Keyboards of this era often had multiple uses and layouts and instead of manufacturing a new unique keyboard for each application, they often just changed the key caps; putting in blanks if not needed. It would also be programmed for that layout.

Great find.

xueyao

07 Jul 2017, 16:35

snuci wrote:Do yo have any pics of the screws?

The blank keys are normal. Keyboards of this era often had multiple uses and layouts and instead of manufacturing a new unique keyboard for each application, they often just changed the key caps; putting in blanks if not needed. It would also be programmed for that layout.

Great find.
Well I found it's 7mm, but my screw driver could only fit 2 screws. Gonna go to a hardware store to find some usable ones. Will post a restoration thread once I get it to open!

just_add_coffee

07 Jul 2017, 16:42

xueyao wrote: Does anyone know what's the size of Allen wrench needed to open this?
Are you sure about an "Allen wrench"?

I've used a 9/32-inch socket and extension to get the screws out of a different model.

giokkk

07 Jul 2017, 19:00

You need a 7mm hexagonal key, something like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Top-Qua ... 4.8.McD5P1

REVENGE

08 Jul 2017, 08:32

xueyao wrote: And also, all the blank buttons (tilt, button next to return key and button next to send key) are not pressable. Was this designed like this? If so is it possible to replace that single module with a working beamspring module from say xwhatsit to get it working?
Great looking board, I have this model. The blank buttons that cannot be pressed have been disabled using a plastic spacer. Remove the spacer, and you will have a working (and presumably "virgin") key!

xueyao

08 Jul 2017, 09:06

REVENGE wrote:
xueyao wrote: And also, all the blank buttons (tilt, button next to return key and button next to send key) are not pressable. Was this designed like this? If so is it possible to replace that single module with a working beamspring module from say xwhatsit to get it working?
Great looking board, I have this model. The blank buttons that cannot be pressed have been disabled using a plastic spacer. Remove the spacer, and you will have a working (and presumably "virgin") key!
Wow perfect. Cant wait to get this working! Just contacted orihalcon and he has both xwhatsit controller and solenoid driver. Getting the screwdriver and controllers to get this to a daily driver condition.

y11971alex

12 Jul 2017, 11:46

Made in 1985...

Return to “Keyboards”