Best Year and Model Number for Model M

wobbled

20 Jul 2017, 15:07

You seem to have the best memes for every situation and conversation LOL.

(a reply to a comment duul made on GH)
Oh and btw Duul Model F's are superior to Model M's in every way except the following:
Layouts
Removable cables
Easily replaceable parts e.g. barrel frames, membranes, springs, and flippers
They work on modern PC's without adapters of converters.
Superior case plastics vs those used on the F AT, F XT, F122, and F104

Apart from that, Model F's blow the Model M away!

clickykeyboards

20 Jul 2017, 15:14

Among my favorite model M keyboards are those early ones from 1985 and 1986 with shiny curved "chromed" metal plates.
model M (1390131) with shiny curved plated
model M (1390131) with shiny curved plated
12087966_10153631228831203_4950293609212984516_o.jpg (84.29 KiB) Viewed 5327 times

wobbled

20 Jul 2017, 15:17

Oh my that is stunning... I think Chyros just lost the crown for best full size model m.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

20 Jul 2017, 15:19

clickykeyboards wrote: Among my favorite model M keyboards are those early ones from 1985 and 1986 with shiny curved "chromed" metal plates.
I only have one of those and it does look spectacular. Too bad nobody else can see it. I've always thought that would be awesome is a clear case for this keyboard mechanism.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

20 Jul 2017, 15:20

Yes that is really nice clickykeyboards! Many of the old M's have the curved "rainbow" plate.

snuci
Vintage computer guy

20 Jul 2017, 15:21

seebart wrote: Yes that is really nice clickykeyboards! Many of the old M's have the curved "rainbow" plate.
I refer to that type of keyboard mechanism as the "mirror" plate. If you take a picture, you can see yourself ;)

seebart

20 Jul 2017, 15:23

snuci wrote:
seebart wrote: Yes that is really nice clickykeyboards! Many of the old M's have the curved "rainbow" plate.
I refer to that type of keyboard mechanism as the "mirror" plate. If you take a picture, you can see yourself ;)
Haha very good point. On a side note I just added my 1390148 to our IBM part numbers page:

wiki/IBM_part_numbers

Chyros

20 Jul 2017, 15:40

wobbled wrote: Oh my that is stunning... I think Chyros just lost the crown for best full size model m.
1388032s have rainbow plates like that too ;) .

seebart

20 Jul 2017, 15:44

Chyros wrote:
wobbled wrote: Oh my that is stunning... I think Chyros just lost the crown for best full size model m.
We already know Tom. ;) No one here will rid you of your prizes. :mrgreen: I assume you've seen that webwit link before?

wobbled

20 Jul 2017, 15:44

Chyros wrote:
But the one in your video wasn't as shiny as that one. Sorry bro either whip out the polish and get scrubbing or you lose :D

seebart

20 Jul 2017, 15:45

wobbled wrote:
Chyros wrote:
But the one in your video wasn't as shiny as that one. Sorry bro either whip out the polish and get scrubbing or you lose :D
:o
whip-it-good-whip-it-whip-it-good-.jpg
whip-it-good-whip-it-whip-it-good-.jpg (13.38 KiB) Viewed 5276 times

wobbled

20 Jul 2017, 15:54

I can picture Tom right now with shoe polish, furniture polish, car polish, and whatever the hell else he can get his hands on desperately scrubbing away at his board :lol:

seebart

20 Jul 2017, 16:00

wobbled wrote: I can picture Tom right now with shoe polish, furniture polish, car polish, and whatever the hell else he can get his hands on desperately scrubbing away at his board :lol:
No, don't start with the flaming now come on behave man. :maverick:

MrDuul

20 Jul 2017, 16:21

wobbled wrote: You seem to have the best memes for every situation and conversation LOL.

(a reply to a comment duul made on GH)
Oh and btw Duul Model F's are superior to Model M's in every way except the following:
Layouts
Removable cables
Easily replaceable parts e.g. barrel frames, membranes, springs, and flippers
They work on modern PC's without adapters of converters.
Superior case plastics vs those used on the F AT, F XT, F122, and F104

Apart from that, Model F's blow the Model M away!
Not bad points. I was comparing my 4704 tho.

Removable cables M wins, Layout you can customize with F's for ANSI. M's standard cables can def plug into most desktop computers.

Model F you can easily swap parts out. Model M plastic had no idea they were superior, can't tell.

wobbled

20 Jul 2017, 16:25

When I said layout I was referring to standard 101 or with Unicomps, standard 103/4. On a Model F you almost always sacrifice something e.g. F Keys on a Kishsaver, standard arrow layouts on AT's, XT's, 122's and 104's etc
The plastics on F's are definitely more brittle, watch Chyros's video on the M122 where he compares the plastic to an F122.

Also you can only swap Model F parts out if you have replacement parts to begin with, parts for F's are much harder to find whereas with M's you can buy replacement stuff from unicomp.

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

20 Jul 2017, 16:36

Now that we're at it: in reality, the best M's are the M122's.
More buttons.

wobbled

20 Jul 2017, 16:39

DustGod wrote: Now that we're at it: in reality, the best M's are the M122's.
More buttons.
You wont be saying that when you have to bolt mod one.

seebart

20 Jul 2017, 16:51

It is true that a lot of the terminal F's have freakishly unusable layout like these 3178:
C1_and_c2.jpg
C1_and_c2.jpg (191.08 KiB) Viewed 5206 times

Chyros

20 Jul 2017, 17:32

wobbled wrote: I can picture Tom right now with shoe polish, furniture polish, car polish, and whatever the hell else he can get his hands on desperately scrubbing away at his board :lol:
Some models came with a matte rainbow plate, some came with a shiny one. I also have a shiny-plate M, but that's not the 1388032. I suspect the matte models are older; F's tend to be matte as well.

MrDuul

20 Jul 2017, 17:56

wobbled wrote: When I said layout I was referring to standard 101 or with Unicomps, standard 103/4. On a Model F you almost always sacrifice something e.g. F Keys on a Kishsaver, standard arrow layouts on AT's, XT's, 122's and 104's etc
The plastics on F's are definitely more brittle, watch Chyros's video on the M122 where he compares the plastic to an F122.

Also you can only swap Model F parts out if you have replacement parts to begin with, parts for F's are much harder to find whereas with M's you can buy replacement stuff from unicomp.
How dare you, how dare you, How dare yoooou!

:mrgreen:

-I have never had problems with Model F plastics.
-F arrow keys are killer on Kishsaver. You can't even see them. hehehhehe
-Model F you have everything to gain.
-Orihalcon has plenty of Model F parts.

Model F for the win kthxbye.
Last edited by MrDuul on 20 Jul 2017, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

emdude
Model M Apologist

20 Jul 2017, 18:05

clickykeyboards wrote: Among my favorite model M keyboards are those early ones from 1985 and 1986 with shiny curved "chromed" metal plates.
12087966_10153631228831203_4950293609212984516_o.jpg
One of my 0120/0131s has these kind of plates. :)

At one point, I owned an early 1391401 with a plate that wasn't chromated but had a similar mirror finish. It was very neat.

taylorswiftttttt

20 Jul 2017, 18:39

removed
Last edited by taylorswiftttttt on 25 May 2022, 11:18, edited 1 time in total.

seebart

20 Jul 2017, 18:46

taylorswiftttttt wrote:
seebart wrote:
DustGod wrote: The best is my "aliencaps", for sure.
Those are pretty rare for sure. Fact is there are many variations of the "regular" Model M
Those are keycaps from an Italian Wheelwriter, which isn't particularly rare
I've never seen one here before. Then again Wheelwriters aren't posted here too often.

wobbled

20 Jul 2017, 20:32

MrDuul wrote:
wobbled wrote: When I said layout I was referring to standard 101 or with Unicomps, standard 103/4. On a Model F you almost always sacrifice something e.g. F Keys on a Kishsaver, standard arrow layouts on AT's, XT's, 122's and 104's etc

How dare you, how dare you, How dare yoooou!

:mrgreen:

-I have never had problems with Model F plastics.
-F arrow keys are killer on Kishsaver. You can't even see them. hehehhehe
-Model F you have everything to gain.
-Orihalcon has plenty of Model F parts.

Model F for the win kthxbye.
Just because you haven't had problems with them doesn't mean they're not brittle :P One drop in the wrong place and your case will crack.
Them keys may exist on the different layers, but in terms of their physical key layouts most model f's are limited. Even an F122 you will struggle to get a decent layout that resembles standard 101 or 104
And I wouldn't rely on one guy to provide model f parts forever. They have been out of production for like 30 years so there's only so much spare parts out there. Model M's are still being newly produced by Unicomp so in them ways they are superior. But of course in terms of feel, overall built quality, and sound Model F's are the better boards. That doesn't mean they are without their significant flaws.

seebart

20 Jul 2017, 20:54

Certain Model F cases are known to be very prone to cracking since the top case is relatively thin & light comapred to the metal assembly underneath. On certin model F's like the 3178 and the Unsaver it's extreme.

fohat
Elder Messenger

20 Jul 2017, 21:18

Front bottom corners of the 122-keys are notorious weak spots.

DustGod
Yet another IBM snob

21 Jul 2017, 00:39

taylorswiftttttt wrote:
seebart wrote:
DustGod wrote: The best is my "aliencaps", for sure.
Those are pretty rare for sure. Fact is there are many variations of the "regular" Model M
Those are keycaps from an Italian Wheelwriter, which isn't particularly rare
Got busted in a little short than 6 hours. Reddit took waaaay longer.

seebart

21 Jul 2017, 12:58

DustGod wrote: Got busted in a little short than 6 hours. Reddit took waaaay longer.
No one got "busted" around here alright?

ShivaYash

21 Jul 2017, 19:45

Return to “Keyboards”