Great/Interesting Finds

wobbled

21 Jul 2017, 23:42

I don't know shit?
This is coming from someone incapable of adjusting his 4704 107 layout to sort out those missing keys. And the guy who can't even fix a kishsaver which requires next to no tools. Clearly it's still you that doesn't know shit.
The only person I 'start shit' with is you, because you are in every thread stating which boards you own, all of which we have probably seen pictures of the exact same boards before since all you seem to be capable of doing is throwing money at people and taking boards which are already well documented and then proceeding to make multiple posts, and a thread about it. You are boring.

And here comes the troll we all know and love, you realize this is exactly why I dislike you? You started this by spamming my inbox on this account and Lord Molvin. You've got some growing up to do.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

21 Jul 2017, 23:47

JP! wrote: I love the XT's as well. The XT keyboard is a gateway keyboard though. Get one and you will be hooked and you will start collecting keyboards until you have a room full of stuff :lol:

Is there anyway to tell if those APL keycaps from that AT are vintage vs. say a set bought from Unicomp?
No, not from that picture. I've never seen an AT with APL keycaps but that doesn't mean anything. Unicomp sold APL keycaps? Only thing obvious from that picture is the non APL keycaps are two-piece caps so they may have added those later. No idea.If I had to guess I'd say Model F AT's come with one piece caps. I'm pretty sure mine has one piece keycaps. Also that AT just has a barcode on the back not a regualr IBM label. Hmm...

fohat
Elder Messenger

21 Jul 2017, 23:52

wobbled wrote:
The key caps are basically impossible to replace,
I think that it shares most of the "normal" key caps with the M2

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

21 Jul 2017, 23:52

Guys, enough.

wobbled says what many of us are thinking but that doesn't mean it needs to be said. Stop taking the bait. (Though, PM spam is concrete abuse - contact matt3o about this.)

Natural consequences will keep things in order. I've already banned MrDuul from trades, promotions, and sales that I conduct and invite others to do the same. (I'm just waiting for the day that I post something to /r/MechMarket or eBay and MrDuul gets it and goes around parading how he's outsmarted me or something. That proves nothing.)

MrDuul, if you want to do something useful - go to a local keyboard meetup and post photos and notes here. No local one? Host one.

Let's bring this back on topic. Here are some boards I've been thinking about buying for a while.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEY-TEC-Model-M ... 2519259132
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deko-Fast-Actio ... 2163081807

JP!

21 Jul 2017, 23:53

seebart wrote:
JP! wrote: I love the XT's as well. The XT keyboard is a gateway keyboard though. Get one and you will be hooked and you will start collecting keyboards until you have a room full of stuff :lol:

Is there anyway to tell if those APL keycaps from that AT are vintage vs. say a set bought from Unicomp?
No, not from that picture. I've never seen an AT with APL keycaps but that doesn't mean anything. Unicomp sold APL keycaps? Only thing obvious from that picture is the non APL keycaps are two-piece caps so they may have added those later. No idea.If I had to guess I'd say Model F AT's come with one piece caps. I'm pretty sure mine has one piece keycaps. Also that AT just has a barcode on the back not a regualr IBM label. Hmm...
Here is the link to the US APL keyset from Unicomp:
http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/USAPLSET

All of my AT's have had solid, one piece keys. Also all of my US AT's have just had a barcode label on the bottom.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

21 Jul 2017, 23:54

fohat wrote:
wobbled wrote:
The key caps are basically impossible to replace,
I think that it shares most of the "normal" key caps with the M2
Since I had two (!), ImpendingxDoom and I cast new Space bars for one of mine, since they were missing!

workshop-f7/ibm-m15-ergonomic-buckling- ... 15339.html

emdude
Model M Apologist

21 Jul 2017, 23:54

The font is a good indicator, Unicomp keycaps--APL included--have used regular Helvetica for their legends for many years now. The 1u pipe key with APL legends is probably more telling though.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

21 Jul 2017, 23:55

Gnohio wrote:
seebart wrote:
Gnohio wrote: Here is what I think is a Model F AT with some cool alternate printing on a bunch of the alpha caps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Black-L ... 1438.l2649
That's really nice actually. The AT is the best F and those APL keycaps... :o :shock: Too bad it appears to be missing a couple of those two piece caps or they replaced those.
Even though I havent personally tried an F AT yet, the F XT I have is really nice. I dont really understand why some people hate it just because of its layout. Its effectively an ISO layout without a nav cluster when you actually look at it, so I dont mind it really.
The XT and 4704 boards are the nicest feeling F boards by far. the AT and 122 aren't as nice, however I still love them! it is a very small difference I think, and I believe it comes down to the construction of the case.

wobbled

21 Jul 2017, 23:57

Can definitely vouch for the feel of a 4704 and XT vs AT and F122 having used all of them for a significant amount of time at one point. With those I always feel a slight vibration after actuating the key, whereas with the AT and 122 it's just a simple snap. Not sure if any of you have noticed this difference in feel?

seebart

21 Jul 2017, 23:58

JP! wrote: Here is the link to the US APL keyset from Unicomp:
http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/USAPLSET

All of my AT's have had solid, one piece keys. Also all of my US AT's have just had a barcode label on the bottom.
Ah OK I see. Hmm those are pretty nice for $35. The AT's manufactured in the UK have different labels with actual information on them. I don't have a pic now. Not really important either.

emdude
Model M Apologist

22 Jul 2017, 00:01

wobbled wrote: Can definitely vouch for the feel of a 4704 and XT vs AT and F122 having used all of them for a significant amount of time at one point. With those I always feel a slight vibration after actuating the key, whereas with the AT and 122 it's just a simple snap. Not sure if any of you have noticed this difference in feel?
I've noticed this with the XT and actually prefer the AT and F122 for this reason.

mike52787
Alps Aficionado

22 Jul 2017, 00:06

wobbled wrote: Can definitely vouch for the feel of a 4704 and XT vs AT and F122 having used all of them for a significant amount of time at one point. With those I always feel a slight vibration after actuating the key, whereas with the AT and 122 it's just a simple snap. Not sure if any of you have noticed this difference in feel?
yeah, definitely has something to do with the case material. the 5291 bigfoot feels the same as the xt as well.

Wingklip

22 Jul 2017, 00:49

MrDuul wrote:

Natural consequences will keep things in order. I've already banned MrDuul from trades, promotions, and sales that I conduct and invite others to do the same. (I'm just waiting for the day that I post something to /r/MechMarket or eBay and MrDuul gets it and goes around parading how he's outsmarted me or something. That proves nothing.)
:lol: :roll:
No one wants to be in a figurative oven ;)

nsmechkb

22 Jul 2017, 01:14

I've been working on my AT lately, and since I put it together last time I think the alignment may be slightly off, since I'm getting some resistance when closing the case halves together before putting in the outside screws.

The vibration has also increased. I didn't notice this before, but now the spring really vibrates when the key rises back up. I like it!

wobbled

22 Jul 2017, 01:20

nsmechkb wrote:
I've been working on my AT lately, and since I put it together last time I think the alignment may be slightly off, since I'm getting some resistance when closing the case halves together before putting in the outside screws.

The vibration has also increased. I didn't notice this before, but now the spring really vibrates when the key rises back up. I like it!
This is interesting, maybe it's the way the XT is put together internally which affects the feel and you can force the AT to feel the same way by putting it together incorrectly? Though tbh I don't see a huge difference between the internals of an XT and an AT. I'd love to know what specific part of the keyboard contributes to the change in feel between the two. If I still had an XT I'd have it in pieces right now

E TwentyNine

22 Jul 2017, 02:24

wobbled wrote: This is interesting, maybe it's the way the XT is put together internally which affects the feel and you can force the AT to feel the same way by putting it together incorrectly? Though tbh I don't see a huge difference between the internals of an XT and an AT. I'd love to know what specific part of the keyboard contributes to the change in feel between the two. If I still had an XT I'd have it in pieces right now
It is the "sandwich" keyboard assembly. It's just tighter in the XT boards. Maybe the difference in the curves between the front and back plate is greater than in the AT boards. XTs take more force to put back together (ignoring the 122).

Don't know if anyone has measured it all out.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

22 Jul 2017, 02:53

Wow, did someone *finally* pick up that Deko battleship? I've had a watch on it for almost a year now! :lol:

Harshmallow

22 Jul 2017, 04:00

TBH, I prefer my F AT - I may have a slightly later one, or just an odd duckling, as it doesn't have that hard, brittle plastic top case that the F XT has and that people have said the F AT is supposed to have. Mine is beige plastic...painted beige. It''s really odd - no idea why it was painted...one of these days I'm going to scrape the rest off with my fingernail or something, as it's peeling near the bottom.

The F AT I have does have a satisfying vibration on key actuation, though I suppose the two F XT's I have are slightly more pronounced. I think the 5155 portable XT is basically the same as the F XT in terms of feel, except for the all plastic case. I prefer the deeper sound of my F AT to the high pitched metallic twang of the XT.

seebart

22 Jul 2017, 12:29

The top case of my XT isn't brittle one bit, in fact its the sturdiest case of all my F's.

Engicoder

22 Jul 2017, 13:55

Agreed, I have owned at least 20 different keyboards and never seen a brittle one. The tabs on the feet are prone to breaking , but only due the shear mass of the keyboard. If you want a brittle IBM case, look to the 3178, especially around the screws that hold it together.
Last edited by Engicoder on 22 Jul 2017, 14:14, edited 2 times in total.

seebart

22 Jul 2017, 14:09

Engicoder wrote: Agreed, I have owned at least 20 different XT keyboards and never seen a brittle one. The tabs on the feet are prone to breaking , but only due the shear mass of the keyboard. If you want a brittle IBM case, look to the 3178, especially around the screws that hold it together.
Yes that's also my experience although I have not owned 20 XT's. :oops: Even the case of my 3104 is more solid then the 3178 which seems really odd considering those are of the same series.

keyboards-f2/ibm-3104-display-terminal- ... hilit=3104

photekq
Cherry Picker

22 Jul 2017, 15:24

MrDuul wrote: I don't have time to adjust barrels on keyboards nor do I give a shit LOL. If someone can do it for me I will gladly pay them. I have the kishsaver man end of story.

Dude you are just jealous, geez. Where is your rich Saudi dad? Ohhhh you don't got one. You bore me man.

Blah blah.

Someone needs to be deported for bad behavior. deport deport deport.
Money can't buy you a brain, ya fuckin unbearable gobshite.

seebart

22 Jul 2017, 15:28

Oh photekq, good to see you around my friend. The PM I sent you is obsolete now, I sold the 2100 HCD for a good price.

Wingklip

22 Jul 2017, 15:42

photekq wrote:
MrDuul wrote: I don't have time to adjust barrels on keyboards nor do I give a shit LOL. If someone can do it for me I will gladly pay them. I have the kishsaver man end of story.

Dude you are just jealous, geez. Where is your rich Saudi dad? Ohhhh you don't got one. You bore me man.

Blah blah.

Someone needs to be deported for bad behavior. deport deport deport.
Money can't buy you a brain, ya fuckin unbearable gobshite.
Gulag for you ;)
Maybe use your rich Saudi Dad's money to do something great for the people of this world? Or are you too selfish to do so? Human creativity and stupidity are both infinite - choose your path wisely.

photekq
Cherry Picker

22 Jul 2017, 15:56

seebart wrote: Oh photekq, good to see you around my friend. The PM I sent you is obsolete now, I sold the 2100 HCD for a good price.
Hey seebart, nice to see you! Yeah, sorry about that, I've missed quite a lot of PMs :oops:

y11971alex

22 Jul 2017, 16:19

wobbled wrote: I owned [...] a 3278 before you even came here and sold [it]. [It is] nothing special and the [layout] of [it] let me down.
That's rather sad to hear, thought the two-column design was rather infuriating, since you can't map a normal numpad to it.

88Teo88

22 Jul 2017, 19:39

kbdfr wrote:
88Teo88 wrote: ohh yes ... :) you are so miserable kbdfr :)
ohh yes and you was the sherlock...the fake sherlock.... jealous and miserable
Fortunately there are normal people as well
it was a big problem for your jealous hearth right? (triumph adler for $1259)
and now here is the sau and it is a big problem for you :) ohh man :)
It's always the same with you crooks: you cheat, and when you get caught you bark at those who found out :lol:

please tell me, what did I cheat? I raised my ebay limit... that's what happened (OMG im a big.. not big.. the biggest cheater...:DD, but i said that.. i was always honest...), and i sold a keyboard, and you? I read at least 1000 pages from this site (because i was a beginner, u know...:) ) and what I've seen... you want to be a hero... but you aren't, just a pharisaical and jealous man
you know it was just a joke of course :) i love you my sweet

seebart

22 Jul 2017, 23:45

image.jpg
image.jpg (42.19 KiB) Viewed 14158 times

wobbled

22 Jul 2017, 23:46

isn't that the guy who bidded on his own keyboard?

Legend!

Topre Enthusiast

23 Jul 2017, 02:00

88Teo88 wrote: pharisaical
Nice word!

Return to “Other external”