Xwhatsit/CS-Compatible IBM 3277 PCB

MrDuul

21 Jul 2017, 08:44

Great job man!

nsmechkb

21 Jul 2017, 14:48

hansichen wrote: That sounds awesome, thanks for your great work. I can't wait to get my hands on the 66 key pcb :D
^^ All of the above. Super excited about this! Definitely interested in a 66-key when you do a run. Thanks for all you're doing!

ipreferpie

21 Jul 2017, 17:43

awesome work! Just had a busy week but will check my measurements w/ photos in the next 2 days. Can't wait the see the 66 key split space version out soon too :)

emdude
Model M Apologist

21 Jul 2017, 18:02

I'll keep posting updates as I work on the 66-key PCBs!

Here's the github link to the repository, the 78-key PCB Rev. 1 design files (DWG, DXF, DeltaCAD, and Gerbers) are all there: https://github.com/emdude/XWhatsit-Comm ... M-3277-PCB

I'll keep R2 for the 78-key PCBs open for a week, until next Saturday (7/29), here's a list of current participants:

Code: Select all

* kuato - 1 (Confirmed)
* orihalcon - 1 (Confirmed)
* MrDuul - 2 (Confirmed)
* emdude - 1 (Confirmed)
* yangdaddy - 1 (Confirmed)
EDIT: Pricing is very very good; going by what I paid this time and without shipping, R1/R2 PCBs should be 10.95 USD each!!
Last edited by emdude on 27 Jul 2017, 18:20, edited 4 times in total.

kuato

21 Jul 2017, 18:06

MrDuul wrote: Great job man!
Indeed! Thanks emdude for doing all this work and for making it public!

MrDuul

21 Jul 2017, 19:51

Yes I will take 2 PCB of the 66 Key, 2 PCB of the 78 KEY and 1 of the Split Space PCB when you got it.

ipreferpie

23 Jul 2017, 11:11

just tested the split spacebar one and it's perfect! everything is aligned and good to go :) put me down for 2 split spacebars and one 66 key please. Keep up the great work

Parak

23 Jul 2017, 18:56

I'd be interested in the split mini pcb as well, might give me extra incentive to fix mine :p

emdude
Model M Apologist

25 Jul 2017, 03:34

ipreferpie wrote: just tested the split spacebar one and it's perfect! everything is aligned and good to go :) put me down for 2 split spacebars and one 66 key please. Keep up the great work
Thank you for checking! I've went ahead and drawn up the rest of the split 66-key PCB:

I'll work on getting this and the normal 66-key PCB imported into DIptrace. I hope to have gerbers ready by the end of the week.

Unfortunately, I will only have time to handle the GB for the 78-key PCBs. However, orihalcon has kindly accepted my request that he handle the GB for the 66-key PCBs, so much thanks to him! :) Once I have the gerbers on hand, I will send them to him.

ipreferpie

27 Jul 2017, 15:14

Ok! Can't wait to see how the 78 key PCBs turn out :)

DMA

29 Jul 2017, 23:11

emdude wrote: I received the PCBs yesterday. It works.
Congratulations!
emdude wrote: The calibration pads don't act quite right, they appear as pressed at 175-180 and auto-calibration sets the voltage threshold somewhere in this range, as expected I think. However, around 175 on, one key sometimes falsely registers. Not sure if it's because of debris under that key's flyplate or insufficient grounding. The calibration pads don't seem to cause any adverse effects, so I'm inclined to just leave them be. Suggestions welcome though!
Shameless plug - CommonSense has matrix monitor mode, which will allow you to see signal levels ON EVERY PAD IN REAL TIME. So you can actually see how large your calibration pad is for the controller - and can edit it with your trusty x-acto knife (capacitance is proportional to the pad _area_, remember - so don't take off too much :) ) and verify the results on the spot (I highly recommend assembling everything back together for verification though - the metal frame is not only shields noise, it's also additional capacitance. Then you update your gerbers and the next version will work better with whatever controller you select.
xwhatsit+scope will also work - but xwhatsit significantly overdrives the lines, so it will be harder to interpret the results.

emdude
Model M Apologist

31 Jul 2017, 05:05

Thanks for waiting everyone, I have gerbers for both 66-key variants ready. I've also updated the silkscreen for the 78-key for consistency. Renders below!

66-key:
Spoiler:

Split 66-key:
Spoiler:

78-key:
Spoiler:

It was a pain to get the DXFs imported into Diptrace, the bottom layer with the column traces specifically. Needed to spend some time fiddling with the settings and the DXFs to make the software fill in the correct areas with ground pour..

I will be passing the gerbers to orihalcon!

As for the 78-key PCBs, here's the final list of participants:

Code: Select all

* kuato - 1 (Confirmed)
* orihalcon - 1 (Confirmed)
* MrDuul - 2 (Confirmed)
* emdude - 1 (Confirmed)
* yangdaddy - 1 (Confirmed)
I'll have extras though so anyone who might want one at some point can just PM me about it.

I'll put in an order for 1.2mm thick PCBs tonight or tomorrow night. I'll send out invoices afterwards.

EDIT: I've ordered the PCBs, $52.21 + $42.89 shipping = $95.10 total. That comes out to $9.51 + shipping per person. I'll invoice everyone when I receive them since I feel more comfortable charging exact shipping; shipping should be around $12 though.
DMA wrote: Shameless plug - CommonSense has matrix monitor mode, which will allow you to see signal levels ON EVERY PAD IN REAL TIME. So you can actually see how large your calibration pad is for the controller - and can edit it with your trusty x-acto knife (capacitance is proportional to the pad _area_, remember - so don't take off too much :) ) and verify the results on the spot (I highly recommend assembling everything back together for verification though - the metal frame is not only shields noise, it's also additional capacitance. Then you update your gerbers and the next version will work better with whatever controller you select.
xwhatsit+scope will also work - but xwhatsit significantly overdrives the lines, so it will be harder to interpret the results.
Sounds great! I am still looking forward to lot_lizard's return so that the MF project can resume and allow production of your controller!

ipreferpie

31 Jul 2017, 11:52

that's wonderful news and thanks for putting this together in such a short time! so basically, I can PM Orihalcon if I need to order the split space and 66 key versions since they ready to be fabricated?

DMA

31 Jul 2017, 16:41

emdude wrote: Sounds great! I am still looking forward to lot_lizard's return so that the MF project can resume and allow production of your controller!
You can buy $10 prototyping kit, flash it and that's it. No custom hardware needed, that's the beauty.

emdude
Model M Apologist

01 Aug 2017, 03:26

DMA wrote:
emdude wrote: Sounds great! I am still looking forward to lot_lizard's return so that the MF project can resume and allow production of your controller!
You can buy $10 prototyping kit, flash it and that's it. No custom hardware needed, that's the beauty.
Ahh, thanks for the info. I had a look at the suggested CY8CKIT-059 prototype kit and the documentation on the CS repo; I might get that and the Xwhatsit card edge connector (though I suppose I could also just solder directly to the edge connector) and try fiddling with it.
ipreferpie wrote: that's wonderful news and thanks for putting this together in such a short time! so basically, I can PM Orihalcon if I need to order the split space and 66 key versions since they ready to be fabricated?
Yep, for the 66-key PCB at least. I was planning to run the split PCBs myself, but since those who are interested in them are also interested in the 66-key PCBs, I've asked orihalcon if he could do those as well. I am waiting on his reply; I hope he is okay with that. I apologize for the awkward manner I'm going about this, I haven't had much free time as of late..
Last edited by emdude on 01 Aug 2017, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.

emdude
Model M Apologist

01 Aug 2017, 09:21

Just a quick update: orihalcon has agreed to do the split 66-key PCBs as well so those interested can contact him about that as well.

I also want to remind those interested in them: While the 66-key PCBs should work fine--the matrix is identical to that of the 78-key PCB, just has rerouted traces to make it look cleaner--the split 66-key design may not work. I don't believe there is any issue with the design, but there's always that chance I suppose.
Last edited by emdude on 01 Aug 2017, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.

nsmechkb

01 Aug 2017, 20:45

I did not realize Orihalcon had taken over the 66-key GB. Just sent him a PM. Thanks for all the work you've been doing on this, emdude! Thank you, Orihalcon, for running the GB! Awesome!

Edit: Is there any reason to buy more than one? I only have one 3277 and I don't expect to find a second. Are the PCB's fragile in any way?

hansichen

01 Aug 2017, 21:00

Maybe orihalcon can write something about the planned group buy and if there is a planned order time, else he will be flooded with pms or people don't see it at all.I definetly want a 66 key pcb but don't wanna bother him if the gb hasn't even started yet.

emdude
Model M Apologist

01 Aug 2017, 21:07

nsmechkb wrote: Edit: Is there any reason to buy more than one? I only have one 3277 and I don't expect to find a second. Are the PCB's fragile in any way?
No, not really. But I suppose it doesn't hurt if one is clumsy like myself.. :P :?

In any case, the gerbers will be hosted online (the 66-key variants aren't on github yet but I'll add them later tonight) so anyone can have more made if they want.

EDIT:
hansichen wrote: Maybe orihalcon can write something about the planned group buy and if there is a planned order time, else he will be flooded with pms or people don't see it at all.I definetly want a 66 key pcb but don't wanna bother him if the gb hasn't even started yet.
Yes, you are right; it's probably best to allow him some time to prepare a post and make an actual announcement.

ipreferpie

02 Aug 2017, 05:49

@emdude : a big thank you for making this happen! really love how there is a growing community of people that can use their old beamsprings :)

@orihalcon : like hansichen mentioned, will you do a GB on the PCB? I PM'd you regarding a new order along with the controller and solenoid. Would be great to buy all those parts from you

emdude
Model M Apologist

05 Aug 2017, 04:45

The 78-key 3277 PCBs have arrived! I'll begin PM'ing the GB participants. Thanks for bearing with me. :)

ipreferpie wrote: @emdude : a big thank you for making this happen! really love how there is a growing community of people that can use their old beamsprings :)
I'm very happy that these keyboards will finally see some real use. Mine has basically been a 15 lb paperweight for the past year. No longer! :mrgreen:

ipreferpie

07 Aug 2017, 07:55

@orihalcon : heard that you may run a split space 66 GB and I'm happy to join. Sent you some PMs earlier on this. If you're busy, I'm happy to host a mini-GB as well and get it up a running for some interested parties :)

Wodan
ISO Advocate

07 Aug 2017, 12:40

emdude wrote: The 78-key 3277 PCBs have arrived! I'll begin PM'ing the GB participants. Thanks for bearing with me. :)
Holy shit dude .. some people do keep the DT spirit up.

siawyoung

07 Aug 2017, 12:43

ipreferpie wrote: @orihalcon : heard that you may run a split space 66 GB and I'm happy to join. Sent you some PMs earlier on this. If you're busy, I'm happy to host a mini-GB as well and get it up a running for some interested parties :)
I'd be interested in some 66 key PCBs too :D (if you're also talking about the non-split space one)

kuato

07 Aug 2017, 23:41

I received the pcbs today. They look and work great! I'll hook up the solenoid later tonight but so far so good :D Thanks emdude!!!

emdude
Model M Apologist

08 Aug 2017, 03:14

Awesome! Do share your final setup, I don't have a solenoid in mine, but I'd like to add one at some point! :D

Khers

08 Aug 2017, 07:18

Emdude, you are a legend!

ipreferpie

08 Aug 2017, 09:25

With emdude's support, I'll be running the 66-key split spacebar GB posted here: group-buys-f50/ibm-3277-66-key-split-sp ... 17149.html

4 spots available and FCFS :)

emdude
Model M Apologist

08 Aug 2017, 18:27

ipreferpie wrote: With emdude's support, I'll be running the 66-key split spacebar GB posted here: group-buys-f50/ibm-3277-66-key-split-sp ... 17149.html

4 spots available and FCFS :)
Thanks for running this, ipreferpie!! I suppose it works out better this way, you are in a much better position to test the split 66-key PCB.

I also appreciate everyone's kind comments! Much of the credit has to go to the people who have helped me put this together, wcass and DMA especially, who have been very patient with me and helped me learn a few new things along the way! :D

kuato

08 Aug 2017, 23:42

Here it is, all hooked up. I'm using a zip-tied type b extension for now.. not the most elegant solution but works great. Base layout also wip. emdude, thanks again!
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Workshop”