JTK Purple on White - Cherry prof 1.5mm ABS doubleshot (LAST DAY)

jkaos92

09 Aug 2017, 18:06

Hello everyone,

There is a GB running right now on the zFrontier site for the JTK Purple on White base set.

GROUP BUY LINK

Base set (141 keycaps):

Price: $63

Extras: 2 JTK polycarbonate trays + JTK costar inserts

Group buy timeframe: September 1, 2017 (China Time)

Estimated ship date: October 2017

Also, free shipping for orders over $100 and you should be able to put in the cart a GB item with a stock item or multiple GB items.

Thank you for your time! :D
Last edited by jkaos92 on 01 Sep 2017, 01:23, edited 13 times in total.

scottc

09 Aug 2017, 18:27

Have they fixed their shitty inconsistent legends yet? I have the original JTK Purple from CtrlAlt the legend inconsistencies are really frustrating because it would be a good set otherwise.

jkaos92

09 Aug 2017, 18:31

scottc wrote: Have they fixed their shitty inconsistent legends yet? I have the original JTK Purple from CtrlAlt the legend inconsistencies are really frustrating because it would be a good set otherwise.

In the meantime they should have fixed some issues, for example the thin thin C (compared to G) should have been fixed time ago, so it shouldn't be there anymore (i think this is one of the things you are referring since you have the JTK pow debut, right?) but by joining surely don't expect GMK legends, I believe there will still be some minor inconsistences, at least for legends they are not comparable to GMK that has surely much more consistent legends (but also the price is x2 ).
Last edited by jkaos92 on 09 Aug 2017, 18:39, edited 3 times in total.

hypkx
Chasing the Dream

09 Aug 2017, 18:31

I hope they make someday a iso set (when they have the tooling).

jkaos92

09 Aug 2017, 18:36

hypkx wrote: I hope they make someday a iso set (when they have the tooling).

Well this was asked so many times that i really hope they will listen, at least i will try to ask zF, adding an ISO compatibility would make much more easy to hit the MOQ as well.

Sadly, it will not be in this GB and not sure when a JTK ISO will happen :(

jkaos92

11 Aug 2017, 15:06

Update: We are currently sitting halfway to the MOQ. 75 purchases for now :)

Menuhin

11 Aug 2017, 15:47

Which part of China is JTK based?

And I would appreciate JTK to eventually develop a color coding system like those used by Signature Plastics or by GMK so that when we look at a set, we have a clearer idea of how white or how cream the key color is.

pixelheresy

11 Aug 2017, 15:54

So nice... too bad no ISO Enter.

jkaos92

11 Aug 2017, 16:27

Menuhin wrote: Which part of China is JTK based?

umm not sure exactly where in China but if this information is important for you i can let you know (probably not today since is evening in China).

Menuhin wrote: And I would appreciate JTK to eventually develop a color coding system like those used by Signature Plastics or by GMK so that when we look at a set, we have a clearer idea of how white or how cream the key color is.

This is a great suggestion, will definitely do this :) It will be great also for future GBs

Menuhin

11 Aug 2017, 18:00

One obvious thing is, many people have been asking JTK to add a R1 '\ |' key to achieve a full HHKB layout compatibility, I have been hoping that one day, after 2+ years, JTK may finally listen and create these keys by request. I don't know the technical difficulties involved though.

I am looking into JTK because I hope it is improving and the GMK has some production issues recently and they denied as issues - namely the incomplete infill of the inside of a cap to fully form a cross bar around the receptacle of switch stem, e.g. parts of the cross bar are missing underneath a cap.

jkaos92

12 Aug 2017, 01:11

Menuhin wrote: One obvious thing is, many people have been asking JTK to add a R1 '\ |' key to achieve a full HHKB layout compatibility, I have been hoping that one day, after 2+ years, JTK may finally listen and create these keys by request. I don't know the technical difficulties involved though.

For other runs i can't tell why, but for this one i can tell you that the main reason is that at the end they decided to keep the same keycaps of the WoB to don't increase prices (as you can see the keycaps are the same of the WoB).
Also, we did an IC form before submitting it to zF, to find out what people wanted and on 150+ answers, in a nutshell:

- Only few asked for that, i can remember around 3 people exactly.
- That wasn't the only keycap requested. Many people asked for other keycaps to fill other layouts. It's sad to basically say no to these people but if zF wanted to make everyone happy, he had to add at least 20 keycaps, making in first place the final cost much higher than this, but also a long period of waiting before the GB beginning.

Menuhin wrote: I am looking into JTK because I hope it is improving and the GMK has some production issues recently and they denied as issues - namely the incomplete infill of the inside of a cap to fully form a cross bar around the receptacle of switch stem, e.g. parts of the cross bar are missing underneath a cap.

I believe it is improving but i think GMK is still better.
What are the production issues of GMK? I mean, i read what you wrote but i didn't get it honestly, do you have any pic of it, maybe of a recent run? Honestly i would like to know more about this, never heard about GMK-issues.

Menuhin

12 Aug 2017, 09:43

That's fair, it can add 1 more key to support HHKB, and another 1 more shift key to support F660M. But it needs to add a few keys to support 1800.

For the GMK quality issue that they denied is an issue:
Underside of some GMK Honeywell caps

jkaos92

12 Aug 2017, 14:04

Menuhin wrote: For the GMK quality issue that they denied is an issue:

wow that's definitely fucked up, thanks for the pic. How they don't admit the mistake? Also that hole make the cap less stable or after all there are no problem with that honeywell?

need

12 Aug 2017, 14:36

jkaos92 wrote:
Menuhin wrote: For the GMK quality issue that they denied is an issue:

wow that's definitely fucked up, thanks for the pic. How they don't admit the mistake? Also that hole make the cap less stable or after all there are no problem with that honeywell?
My OG Cherry has incomplete cross bar as well, but it's done a lot cleaner than GMK's. I'm guessing it's there to avoid hitting the in-switch LED.

jkaos92

12 Aug 2017, 14:42

need wrote: My OG Cherry has incomplete cross bar as well, but it's done a lot cleaner than GMK's. I'm guessing it's there to avoid hitting the in-switch LED.

Yeah are right probably. When the crossbar isn't here probably is supposed to be like this because thick cherry profile should hit north facing 2x3x4 leds (on r3 if i'm not wrong), but that pic posted seems like it isn't intended to be like this this (more like an error).

jkaos92

14 Aug 2017, 12:49

Menuhin wrote: many people have been asking JTK to add a R1 '\ |' key to achieve a full HHKB layout compatibility, I have been hoping that one day, after 2+ years, JTK may finally listen and create these keys by request. I don't know the technical difficulties involved though.

I am looking into JTK because I hope it is improving and the GMK has some production issues recently and they denied as issues - namely the incomplete infill of the inside of a cap to fully form a cross bar around the receptacle of switch stem, e.g. parts of the cross bar are missing underneath a cap.

In the meantime I tried to ask them for a last time since you+another person on GH asked this, they confirmed (again) that there will be no R1 \| for the HHKB and they will stick with that set, this might be their final answer on that key and the set is final, sorry :(

Menuhin

14 Aug 2017, 19:15

jkaos92 wrote:
Menuhin wrote: many people have been asking JTK to add a R1 '\ |' key to achieve a full HHKB layout compatibility, I have been hoping that one day, after 2+ years, JTK may finally listen and create these keys by request. I don't know the technical difficulties involved though.

In the meantime I tried to ask them for a last time since you+another person on GH asked this, they confirmed (again) that there will be no R1 \| for the HHKB and they will stick with that set, this might be their final answer on that key and the set is final, sorry :(
Thanks for asking again. JTK, a potential major competitor of GMK, has been replying with this answer for for past 2 years.

By the way, what does 'GMK' stand for? I think it represents a name, and for JTK, the 'K' means "Keycaps". :P

Sankart

14 Aug 2017, 19:24

scottc wrote: Have they fixed their shitty inconsistent legends yet?
The legends of the last GB by CTRLALT were absolutely abysmal as well, I doubt they fixed them for now. It was just as bad as the original one, of not worse tbh. Some of them were so obviously broken, I got no idea how those passed QC. I think it was print screen that was like in the lower half of the key on every set.

Menuhin

14 Aug 2017, 20:55

Sankart wrote:
scottc wrote: Have they fixed their shitty inconsistent legends yet?
The legends of the last GB by CTRLALT were absolutely abysmal as well, I doubt they fixed them for now. It was just as bad as the original one, of not worse tbh. Some of them were so obviously broken, I got no idea how those passed QC. I think it was print screen that was like in the lower half of the key on every set.
Can you share a few pictures to illustrate these? e.g. "... Some of them were so obviously broken ..." and "... print screen that was like in the lower half of the key on every set ..."
Perhaps I am not paying enough attention to the legends my JTK sets.

These deserve to be pointed out explicitly, after all this is a Group Buy and can become the chance for JTK to fix these issues.

jkaos92

14 Aug 2017, 21:27

Sankart wrote: The legends of the last GB by CTRLALT were absolutely abysmal as well, I doubt they fixed them for now. It was just as bad as the original one, of not worse tbh. Some of them were so obviously broken, I got no idea how those passed QC. I think it was print screen that was like in the lower half of the key on every set.

Again, i wouldn't compare today legends with CTRLALT PoW GB , their GB was literally the debut of JTK. Will not be as perfect as GMK but some issues should be fixed or at least they are working on it, the typical example that comes to mind is the thin C that was on the JTK PoW from CTRLALT while later it became a thick C.

Also, as 'need' pointed out, GMK aren't perfect as well recently (surely still better than JTK).

Example of the thin C vs G of the old JTK PoW Debut:

while here is another pic of the old Orange on Black:

as you can see the problem is different, the C is not thin anymore but still not consistent between the others (example, thick C, thin V).

I don't believe that the legends will be perfect, but i don't also think that it will be worse than before as you said.

Also, important, we didn't saw any new new batch for a while now. The new batch will be the WoB and this PoW, so actually no one knows how the legends will be (JTK photo studio still has to arrive)

Menuhin wrote: Can you share a few pictures to illustrate these? e.g. "... Some of them were so obviously broken ..." and "... print screen that was like in the lower half of the key on every set ..."
Perhaps I am not paying enough attention to the legends my JTK sets.

These deserve to be pointed out explicitly, after all this is a Group Buy and can become the chance for JTK to fix these issues.

I think the best way for you is to understand from yourself and what i mean by that is to see the actual pics around, i would suggest to checkout reddit and use the search-bar to see all the images related to JTK and the difference between old batches and new batches (usually sort by date on reddit will work for that), eventually you can even use geekhack for that but reddit will be easier.

Not really important to judge the debut since some issues were fixed, but again I suggest to see all the pics around with your eyes, if after 20 pics you are bothered by the legends you see, you can just pass that :)

I do believe the legends will be better since they get better with time already, but honestly no one know what will be until it is produced.

What i think is important and that i mentioned above, it is a while now that we don't have a JTK GB and the JTK photostudio still has to arrive, so we don't know what will reserve the new GBs (WoB and PoW).

Menuhin

15 Aug 2017, 05:44

So I don't trust my own aesthetic standard:
Are the legends of PoW set above in the photo (the last GB by CTRLALT) "absolutely abysmal" as Sankart pointed out?

What my eyes can more easily tell is that the Dyesub jobs of Cherry OG SAD/SAU Set and from BSP are a quantum above that of EnjoyPBT's dyesub in terms of sharpness.

jkaos92

24 Aug 2017, 13:25

Menuhin wrote: So I don't trust my own aesthetic standard:
Are the legends of PoW set above in the photo (the last GB by CTRLALT) "absolutely abysmal" as Sankart pointed out?

imho no, but thats just my opinion
If i would choose for the same colorscheme set for free, i would totally pick GMK, but if i should pay for it, i'm totally fine with JTK since the price is a lot lower, even knowing that there may be some issues with legends (surely less than before but still there might be some minor issues).
And again, for issues i mean what you saw on the pic above (and also what you can see around by just writing ''JTK PoW''), and for me surely these are NOT "absolutely abysmal", definitely an exaggeration (imho).

Said that, I really don't think you should listen other people opinions, you shouldn't listen my opinion, neither Sankart as well, everyone has different standards, there are extremely fanatic people (i'm one of them on some of the things related to keebs) and there are other people less strict (like me on jtk legends).

What i really think, just listen yourself, you will have to use that set, not me, not Sankart, YOU.
See pics of the JTK PoW around and ask to yourself ''I want this set?" answer YES/NO (not ''let me see what other people think").

Or also, with the photo in front of you, ask yourelf: "Can i live with this set if a letter will be slightly tighter or thinner than another letter, just like this pic i have in front of me?".
If you can and you like the colors, fine this set is for you. If you want consistent legends, pay twice and go for GMK (assuming they will ever do this colorscheme). It's on you.

Your choice man, really.

jkaos92

01 Sep 2017, 01:25

Last day to join folks. The GB will close September 1 (China Time) so you will have a full day to join ;)

Last bumped by jkaos92 on 01 Sep 2017, 01:25.

Return to “Group buys”